5A Div II Bi-District Playoff: Lamar Consolidated (7-3) Vs Marshall (8-2)— 7:30 PM @ Maverick Stadium

Mavchamp

Lamar Consol Vs Marshall  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Lamar Consolidated by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • Lamar Consolidated in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

Mavs hosting a playoff game for the first time since 2008 when they hosted Kilgore.  Hosted Klein Oak in 2005. 

Got to go back to the 1960’s before that. 

———

Lamar Cons started the season 5-0, but lost 3 of their final 5 district games.  They are 7-3. 

Two of their losses were to state ranked Huntsville (9-1) and state ranked A&M Consolidated (9-1).  A loss to (5-5) Montgomery sent them to 4th place. 

Marshall has two losses. One to #4 Longview (6A) and #1 Carthage (4A).  Since those losses they have won 7 in a row.  

More info later.  Just wanted to get the thread up and running!  

• Like 1

Good job Mavchamp. Hopefully others will jump in that know a little about what type of offense and defense they run. Knowing they are out of a tuff district it would go without saying they are probably one of the better 4th place teams coming out of any 5A district.

1 hour ago, got2score said:

Running more than passing, looking at their stats 

Worrisome considering PT ran against us practically at will.  They just couldn’t hold onto the ball. 

Our pass defense is a scary good. 

But power running games seem to be our weakness.  That was the most success anyone has had against us since Longview abd Carthage. 

• Like 1

You cant tell everything by highlight vids but it looks like they are a run heavy spread offense and like to mix in some underneath passes. It doesnt look like they have a ton of speed but decent size. It should be a good matchup, as they look to be better than our district teams but not on the level of Carthage and Longview. We have to limit our penalties and take advantage of our speed.

• Like 2

PLAYOFF TREAT: Christian recording artist & Dove Award winner Randy Phillips  of Phillips, Craig & Dean will be our guest in Maverick Stadium Friday night to sing the national anthem with the Big Red Pride Band, and also “God Bless America” with daughter, MISD nurse Garland Griedle 🤘

• Like 1

Definitely will be interesting to see how this plays out. Lamar would probably do very well in Marshall's district, and I don't feel like the Mavs have really been pushed that much in district play. 

Cheering for Marshall.

Lamar will be the best team we’ve faced since Carthage.  

We had very little resistance in district outside of the first half Vs Lindale. 

Most of the scores we’ve given up in games have been junk points given up by our bench in the second half. 

The starting D only surrendered 4 or 5 touchdowns in 7 district games. 

Thats unreal. I’ll double check when I get home. 

The bracket does us no favors. 

Round 1: Lamar Consolidated (7-3)

Round 2: Nederland (9-1)

Round 3: Huntsville (9-1)

Round 4: A&M Consolidated (9-1) or PNG

Round 5: Kerrville Tivy (9-1)

Then a bevy of great teams in the title game including Aledo, Frisco Reedy, South Oak Cliff, Corsicana are all looking good. 

Mavchamp it looks as if we can make it through all those teams the Mavs have for sure earned a right for a shot at the title. The Mavs have got to step up and play as champions if they want to beat the best! If they can eliminate all the penalties and make all the PAT’s along with communication with each other they will do fine! I believe in them and they must believe in themselves!

Oh I agree  I believe we can do it!  But there’s no easy road!  

I’m like 👀 👀 👀 in that possible third round matchup.

Marshall could be facing their former head football coach.   Maybe two past head coaches.

Rodney Southern looks like he’s doing the exact same thing in Huntsville that he did in Marshall when he was here 2002-2006.

im not 100% but Thed Harris (2007-2010) may be on his staff too.  Someone else may know.  

Southern lead Marshall to back to back state chcampionship games in 2004 and 2005 before he left for Belton. 

Harris lead Marshall to the region finals in 2009 and the region semis in 2007. 

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Oh I agree  I believe we can do it!  But there’s no easy road!  

I’m like 👀👀👀 in that possible third round matchup.

Marshall could be facing their former head football coach. 

Rodney Southern looks like he’s doing the exact same thing in Huntsville that he did in Marshall when he was here.

im not 100% but Thed Harris May be on his staff too.  Someone else may know.  

Manvel is another possible opponent in that round I think. They have the talent, just don' think they are better than Huntsville. That Huntsville defense separates them from a lot of teams in that region imo. 

1 minute ago, Pack007 said:

Manvel is another possible opponent in that round I think. They have the talent, just don' think they are better than Huntsville. That Huntsville defense separates them from a lot of teams in that region imo. 

Agree. It could be Manvel.  

But I picked it to likely be Huntsville. 

You never know though. 

I know 7on7 doesnt mean a whole lot when it comes to actual playing with pads on under Friday Night Lights. But we did play Huntsville in the Lufkin SQT and pretty well dominated them. So as far as just matching up skill position athletes i believe we would have the upper hand. But throw in the big boys and all the other intangibles like coaching, special teams, tackling, etc it could be a whole different ballgame.

44 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

I know 7on7 doesnt mean a whole lot when it comes to actual playing with pads on under Friday Night Lights. But we did play Huntsville in the Lufkin SQT and pretty well dominated them. So as far as just matching up skill position athletes i believe we would have the upper hand. But throw in the big boys and all the other intangibles like coaching, special teams, tackling, etc it could be a whole different ballgame.

Definitely different lol

2 hours ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Yea Huntsville "slap-a-Lobo" LP earlier this year😎

Not that it matters....but Marshall finished #15 in the combined AP 5A poll.

Still no clue why they don't split it...... it makes no sense to me.

Interesting note.... how many 5A Div II Reg III teams are in the poll

4.  FB Marshall
11.  Manvel
12.  College Station
13.  Huntsville
15.  Marshall
19.  A&M Consolidated

If this were a 5A Div II poll only...it would be dominated by region III