🗳️ The official 2020 Election thread

Mr. P

4 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Heck, with the laws that Obamacare gave us, maybe we should be raising the legal voting age to 26, since many of these younger folks stay at home until way past that. 

Maybe 26 and gainfully employed .... if you aren't working and are able bodied and on government assistance you shouldn't be able to vote ... 

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CENTEXFAN said:

The US constitution  says 18 years of age. 26th amendment. To be exact

I thought Republicans cared about the constitution. 

The Founders wrote the process to amend The Constitution........maybe time to use that process.......

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Maybe 26 and gainfully employed .... if you aren't working and are able bodied and on government assistance you shouldn't be able to vote ... 

I don't think that you have to be gainfully employed, but if your mommy and daddy can keep you on their insurance, in their home, and write you off their taxes, then I think it would be a good idea to revisit the 26th amendment. And I would go so far as to say that anyone that is in the military from 18-26 would be allowed to vote, as long as they are in serving this country. But I do have a hard time with the thought that some 16-18 year old has the mental capacity to actually read up on candidates, study their positions, and then vote based on their personal beliefs. If the rest of us can't, why would we think that younger kids could. SMH.

• Like 1

Pew: Fewer than 10% ‘truly independent’ and ‘much less likely’ to even vote

And according to a new survey, most of them don’t register to vote and even fewer actually vote.

Instead, many of the 38 percent of Americans who describe themselves as “independent” lean toward one party or the other, according to Pew Research Center.

PP_2019.03.14_Independents_0-01-1.png

“Independents often are portrayed as political free agents with the potential to alleviate the nation’s rigid partisan divisions. Yet the reality is that most independents are not all that 'independent' politically,” said the latest Pew survey.

“And the small share of Americans who are truly independent — less than 10 percent of the public has no partisan leaning — stand out for their low level of interest in politics,” said Pew.

How low? Here’s what the survey analysis said: “Those who do not lean toward a party — a group that consistently expresses less interest in politics than partisan leaners — were less likely to say they had registered to vote and much less likely to say they voted. In fact, just a third said they voted in the midterms.”

Overall, more say they are “independent” than aligned with the parties. Pew said that 38 percent call themselves independent, 31 percent Democrats, and 26 percent Republicans.

But most independents lean politically.

Here are two key findings pulled from the report:

• "In their political attitudes and views of most issues, independents who lean toward a party are in general agreement with those who affiliate with the same party. For example, Republican-leaning independents are less supportive of Donald Trump than are Republican identifiers. Still, about 70 percent of GOP leaners approved of his job performance during his first two years in office. Democratic leaners, like Democrats, overwhelmingly disapprove of the president."
  • "Majorities of Republican and Democratic leaners have a favorable opinion of their own party, and they are almost as likely as Republican and Democratic identifiers to have an unfavorable opinion of the opposing party."

On 3/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, CENTEXFAN said:

The US constitution  says 18 years of age. 26th amendment. To be exact

I thought Republicans cared about the constitution. 

It does. So why do Democrats want 16-year-olds to vote? Don't they claim to care about the Constitution?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

It does. So why do Democrats want 16-year-olds to vote? Don't they claim to care about the Constitution?

I would  vote no for 16 year olds,  but if anybody has the super majority to change anything . Then they can change whatever they want. 

29 minutes ago, CENTEXFAN said:

I would  vote no for 16 year olds,  but if anybody has the super majority to change anything . Then they can change whatever they want. 

They don't have a Supermajority, though. And to get 16-year-olds to vote would take an Amendment. I don't believe there's any way they could convince the people of 38 states that's a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-dems-try-to-kill-electoral-college/ar-BBVuziB?li=BBnb7Kz

What better way to try and ensure you might win an election, change the rules after 230 some odd years. Of course the democrats want to end the electoral college. And now they are going to propose an amendment to get rid of it. It won't happen right now, but it is likely to pick up steam when the MSM starts their propaganda against the system. Because the more populated states want to control the nation. Remind me, which of the 2 most populous states runs better and with less taxes? 

• Like 1

Just now, DannyZuco said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-dems-try-to-kill-electoral-college/ar-BBVuziB?li=BBnb7Kz

What better way to try and ensure you might win an election, change the rules after 230 some odd years. Of course the democrats want to end the electoral college. And now they are going to propose an amendment to get rid of it. It won't happen right now, but it is likely to pick up steam when the MSM starts their propaganda against the system. Because the more populated states want to control the nation. Remind me, which of the 2 most populous states runs better and with less taxes? 

There's a safeguard, though. Amendments have to be approved by "three fourths of the several states".

That ain't gonna happen.

• Like 2

• Mr. P changed the title to 🗳️ The official 2020 Election thread