SFA Basketball 2018-2019

ETXfan16

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Haha. Thanks. Kinda crazy we have enough interest here for there to be a thread...

Sadly there isn't a lot to talk about after last night...

It's still early. Maybe it's the optimist in me, but you can take a lot away from a loss like that. Sometimes it can be the best thing to happen to a team.

41 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

It's still early. Maybe it's the optimist in me, but you can take a lot away from a loss like that. Sometimes it can be the best thing to happen to a team.

Oh. My confidence level is still high. This team has the talent to win a game in March again. They just need to clean a few things up but they will be fine. 

10 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I thought last season was a shaky start too before they got it going

Under Keller, it has become a staple. This year has more to do with injuries and a lot of new faces. Starting PG, backup PG, and starting PF are all out right now. Right now we have our SG running the point with a freshman coming in off the bench. We have had three freshmen seeing significant minutes, and two transfers getting used to the system and new teammates. Even the walk-on guys have been seeing minutes outside of practice...

Starting PG should be back by the end of the month.
Backup PG might be back by the end of December.
PF is done for the year. He will receive a Medical Redshirt, but being he is a senior, a graduate transfer is a real possibility. 

13 hours ago, topher805 said:

Fair enough. I mean yall are wrapping up football season too this weekend...😜 

Yea, first bad season in A WHILE. But at least we beat them jacks for the 8th time in a row :woot:. Sadly, was the highlight of the football season. Now, on to baseball season!! 😉

17 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Yea, first bad season in A WHILE. But at least we beat them jacks for the 8th time in a row :woot:. Sadly, was the highlight of the football season. Now, on to baseball season!! 😉

Ugh. Dont wanna think about Little League season yet

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this back to the top. Got to watch the Jacks in WRJ against La Tech. Valiant, valiant effort by the Jacks. Basically had 7 scholarship players available due to injuries. Were essentially playing with their SGs, SFs and PFs. Had no true PG available and no true "5" available and but for about a 3 minute stretch in the 2nd half kept them from knocking of La Tech. Even still, they forced it to OT and had a legit chance to win but ultimately fell 96-93. 

2 hours ago, TxFight said:

Bringing this back to the top. Got to watch the Jacks in WRJ against La Tech. Valiant, valiant effort by the Jacks. Basically had 7 scholarship players available due to injuries. Were essentially playing with their SGs, SFs and PFs. Had no true PG available and no true "5" available and but for about a 3 minute stretch in the 2nd half kept them from knocking of La Tech. Even still, they forced it to OT and had a legit chance to win but ultimately fell 96-93. 

I hate I had to miss it. I can't make any of the non-conference games. 

They are good and will win the conference, but injuries have ravaged the team. 

20 hours ago, topher805 said:

I hate I had to miss it. I can't make any of the non-conference games. 

They are good and will win the conference, but injuries have ravaged the team. 

The only good thing about the injuries, is the young ones are getting a ton of valuable PT right now. To the point where, IF IF IF SFA can get healthy by the conference tournament, they will have some tremendous depth to run at folks. 

1 hour ago, TxFight said:

The only good thing about the injuries, is the young ones are getting a ton of valuable PT right now. To the point where, IF IF IF SFA can get healthy by the conference tournament, they will have some tremendous depth to run at folks. 

Definitely. I'm excited about what Oddyst can become as a PG going forward. Mitch and Duece will be so good in the future. Karl will be a special player if he can buy into the program. Hoping we don't see any transfers out of this class because they are the foundation for a bright future...

SFA currently without 5 scholarship players (Has been for the better part of a month). Only 8 scholarship players available for tonight's game against Baylor. 

Obviously conference play is the only thing that matters for us this year, but the what-if question will plague this season...

What a big time game. I thought they'd have a chance, because the one thing this current lineup is really good at is knocking down shots when needed. And boy did they ever. Pretty much the perfect matchup when it came to Baylor. As soon as Bogues got the ball with the running start I knew he was going to score. Can't let him get going to the basket with momentum. Here is hoping they keep it rolling Friday to set up the huge home game with Alabama after Christmas.

• Like 1

Arlington Baptist on Friday. Hopefully Jock can knock down some shots against ABU and start to get his confidence back. Because of the injuries, he has been put into a role he wasnt ready for. Now he seems hesitant to shoot the ball, and we will need more from him during conference play.

Comeaux was on the court during shoot around yesterday. Was on the other end working one-on-one, but it is a really good sign. Hopefully we can get him back friday too, so he can start knocking off some rust. 

By all accounts, the Colesium is going to be rocking against Bama. After beating Baylor, I expect a bump in ticket sales. The university is opening the dorms for students just for the game, and allowing students to bring a friend for free, just to make sure the atmosphere fits the billing. 

7 hours ago, topher805 said:

Arlington Baptist on Friday. Hopefully Jock can knock down some shots against ABU and start to get his confidence back. Because of the injuries, he has been put into a role he wasnt ready for. Now he seems hesitant to shoot the ball, and we will need more from him during conference play.

Comeaux was on the court during shoot around yesterday. Was on the other end working one-on-one, but it is a really good sign. Hopefully we can get him back friday too, so he can start knocking off some rust. 

By all accounts, the Colesium is going to be rocking against Bama. After beating Baylor, I expect a bump in ticket sales. The university is opening the dorms for students just for the game, and allowing students to bring a friend for free, just to make sure the atmosphere fits the billing. 

My daughter (SFA freshman in ‘19, and we are big BAMA fans) bought tickets to that one for me and her for Christmas. We’re really looking forward to it. 

6 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

My daughter (SFA freshman in ‘19, and we are big BAMA fans) bought tickets to that one for me and her for Christmas. We’re really looking forward to it. 

I REALLY want to go, but family obligations are keeping away. My wife says I can go, but it seems like a trap...

Should be an amazing atmosphere. Rivaling the SFA/Sam game in 2008?

15 hours ago, topher805 said:

I REALLY want to go, but family obligations are keeping away. My wife says I can go, but it seems like a trap...

Should be an amazing atmosphere. Rivaling the SFA/Sam game in 2008?

I don't know if anything can beat the capacity crowd in WRJ that watched Parker beat NSU with the dunk at the buzzer a couple of years ago. 

22 minutes ago, TxFight said:

I don't know if anything can beat the capacity crowd in WRJ that watched Parker beat NSU with the dunk at the buzzer a couple of years ago. 

Missed that one, and missed most of that SFA/Sam game in 2008. I was working as a student assistant for the media relations department, and Fox Sports had a shortage in the production truck, and I got to fill in running the scoreboard for the broadcast. It was actually kinda cool being in there. I got to come into the gym during halftime and check out the crowd and the atmosphere.