SFA Basketball 2018-2019

ETXfan16

On 2/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, topher805 said:

The move would be more for basketball purposes for us. Gets us higher than a 12 seed if we get in. Baseball would be huge for Sam. 

I have no desire for us to go FBS and just be another bottom feeder.

In Baseball out out of conference schedule gives us the ability to seed better.

1 hour ago, Coach0001 said:

I have no desire for us to go FBS and just be another bottom feeder.

In Baseball out out of conference schedule gives us the ability to seed better.

Fair enough. I just despise the current makeup of the Southland and would like SFA to explore other options. I also know SFA would likely be a package deal with Sam and maybe 1 or two other SLC schools 

I can’t say the conference makeup is how I like it either 

But IW got stronger this year I am still skeptical of them sustaining it.

HBU is weak in everything 

i would have preferred to see Tarleton AM Commerce or Midwestern State in the conference after coming up from D2

25 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

I can’t say the conference makeup is how I like it either 

But IW got stronger this year I am still skeptical of them sustaining it.

HBU is weak in everything 

i would have preferred to see Tarleton AM Commerce or Midwestern State in the conference after coming up from D2

I'm good with Abilene Christian. The Benson family has poured a ton of money into UIW, but like you, I remain skeptical. I despise HBU. I've seen dirt poor schools in ETX that have better facilities than HBU. The gym is a joke, and their football stadium, isn't a stadium because there are only bleachers on one side...

I think Tarleton is coming soon. They have been building for a jump to FCS and I don't think they are a bad addition. Football they will be solid. Other sports? Not so sure...

I actually miss Texas State and UTSA, but my bigger problem is with conference leadership. They make too many backwards decisions that make no sense for the league...

• 1 month later...

Add Jock Hughes (FR) to the transfer list, along with TJ Holyfield (Grad). 

Leaving:

Jovan Grujic - Grad
Shannon Bogues - Grad
Aaron Augustin - Kicked off team
Karl Nicholas - Kicked off team
TJ Holyfield - Grad Transfer
Jock Hughes - Transfer
Devante Fitzgerald - Grad

22 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I wonder if Hughes will end up at back in the Htown area……. 

I can easily see him at TSU or PV. Has some former teammates at each and is really homesick I think. Add in he wasn't really used his freshman year and I think it was an easy decision for him. 

Now we are all on Mitch Watch. I think he stays after a strong finish to the year, but who knows. The over/under on new faces was set at 7.5 before Christmas

1 minute ago, topher805 said:

I can easily see him at TSU or PV. Has some former teammates at each and is really homesick I think. Add in he wasn't really used his freshman year and I think it was an easy decision for him. 

Now we are all on Mitch Watch. I think he stays after a strong finish to the year, but who knows. The over/under on new faces was set at 7.5 before Christmas

That's crazy how much turnover yall could potentially have, I don't see it that much on the mid-major level. 

5 hours ago, topher805 said:

Add Jock Hughes (FR) to the transfer list, along with TJ Holyfield (Grad). 

Leaving:

Jovan Grujic - Grad
Shannon Bogues - Grad
Aaron Augustin - Kicked off team
Karl Nicholas - Kicked off team
TJ Holyfield - Grad Transfer
Jock Hughes - Transfer
Devante Fitzgerald - Grad

Any word on where Holyfield is wanting to go or who wants him ?

31 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Any word on where Holyfield is wanting to go or who wants him ?

Everyone is pretty certain he is heading to Illinois to reunite with Underwood. Nothing official, but definitely seems like he will be playing B1G basketball. 

1 hour ago, TxFight said:

Keller is definitely going to have his work cut out for him. I don't see the basketball contingent at SFA being happy with missing out on the Southland tournament 2 years in a row. 

People want him fired for missing this year. I can't imagine what would happen if they miss next year. I imagine duct tape, shovels, and some property on a blueberry farm would be involved...

13 hours ago, RonSwanson said:

I will gIve Keller a pass this year but he better mend the fence this next season. So far three impressive recruits are coming. He better be on target with filling the roster. Jack fans aren’t used to the kind of season we just went through. 

I don't give him a pass, but I do think he needs one more chance to right the ship. Needs to be DRASTIC improvement. You can't miss on that many of your own guys and expect to hang around for long.

Current rumblings that Samuli Nieminen (Retired due to injuries) and Rance Cole (Walk-On) have left the team as well. 

That leaves Kevon Harris, Mitchell Seraille, John Comeaux, Oddyst Walker, and Nathan Bain as the only returning players. Hearing mixed messages on Aaron Augustin and Karl Nicholas and their status with the program...Not sure I want either of them back, but wouldn't be sad to see that kind of experience return to what will be a roster chalked full of new faces...

Incoming:
Sama'zha Hart (Pinkston HS)
Tylan Pope (Franklinton HS (LA)
Dylan Kachelries (NJIT - Mineral Area College)
Cameron Johnson (TJC)

Gone:
TJ Holyfield (Grad transfer)
Shannon Bogues (Graduate)
Devonte Fitzgerald (Graduate)
Jovan Grujic (Graduate)
Samuli Nieminen (Retirement)
Rance Cole (Left team)
Jock Hughes (Transfer)
Aaron Augustin (Removed from team)
Karl Nicholas (Removed from team)
Aaron Walton (Left/Removed from team)

Saw Cameron Johnson play a couple of games recently at the Gold Dome in Shreveport. Seemed to be a smart player, played hard, good rebounder for his height, and was a team player.  I like the addition. 

His down side, watching those couple of games, seemed that he is not a great shooter. 

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Saw Cameron Johnson play a couple of games recently at the Gold Dome in Shreveport. Seemed to be a smart player, played hard, good rebounder for his height, and was a team player.  I like the addition. 

His down side, watching those couple of games, seemed that he is not a great shooter. 

I think Johnson is going to be a defender/distributor that gets to the FT line. Wade is the big scorer of the two we picked up today. Wade is a shooter. 44% from 3...92% FT

46 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I think Johnson is going to be a defender/distributor that gets to the FT line. Wade is the big scorer of the two we picked up today. Wade is a shooter. 44% from 3...92% FT

Johnson is in the mold of Bogues - very similar skills. 

Another JUCO commit in Kilgore College's Demiere Brown. Brown is listed as the #86 player in the JUCO top-100. Roti Ware is #100 on that list. 

Only two scholarships left. Klein Forest's Calvin Solomon is the big fish we are hot and heavy for. As long as he takes one of the two spots, then a lot of people will be very happy.