5A DIV II AREA Playoff: Nederland (10-1) Vs Marshall (9-2)— 4 PM @ NRG Stadium, Houston

Mavchamp

Nederland Vs. Marshall  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Nederland in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Nederland in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

Nederland is coming off a 22-16 win over FB Willowridge.  They scored the go-ahead touchdown with less than 2 mins left in the game.  They trailed 16-7 in the fourth quarter before scoring 15 unanswered points.  They improved to (10-1) on the season.

Marshall is coming off a 56-14 win over Lamar Consolidated.  The Mavs dominated the game from start to finish.  They built a 21-7 first quarter lead that was 28-7 by halftime.  They put it away for good in the third with a 49-7 lead.

They will face off 4 PM at NRG stadium on Friday.  

It will be the first time Marshall and Nederland have ever played one another.

---------------------

The 56-14 playoff win over Lamar Consolidated was the 4th most points ever scored by the Mavs in a playoff game:

67 points Vs.Nacogdoches in 2014 (Bi-District)
62 points Vs. Athens in 1926 (Bi-District)
61 points Vs Richardson Berkner in 1990 (Area)
56 Vs. Lamar Consolidated in 2018 (Bi-district)
51 Vs. Beaumont Ozen in 2005 (Area)
50 Vs. Klien Oak in 2005 (Bi-District)

-------------------

I'll have more numbers and stats for both teams in a day or two.  Enjoy!

I’m excited about playing in a place like NRG. It’s the 2nd best stadium in Texas. 

I was hoping for something a little more neutral.  

Nacogdoches is about as geographically center between Marshall and Nederland you can get.  SFA was my hope for this game. 

I know Lufkin had already been booked.  Maybe SFA had been too. Not sure Dragon Stadium would even be considered. 

Its about a 100 mile drive for Nederland to NRG. 219 for Marshall.  That’s a disadvantage for sure.  

But we’ve done it before.  

Played Klien Oak in their own stadium for Bi-District in 2004.  Played in College Station in 2005. Both over 200 miles. Both on Fridays. Both wins.  Had the bigger crowd in both. 

Cant wait!!  Defense is playing lights out right now. Offense is clicking. 

Let’s go make some more history! 

Due to not only the distance but the time of day playing has put the fan base at a huge disadvantage! I hope being a holiday weekend Marshall fans will support our team and make the trip. Would be nice if there were some charter buses going! Maybe a tail gate party before the game!

4 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Due to not only the distance but the time of day playing has put the fan base at a huge disadvantage! I hope being a holiday weekend Marshall fans will support our team and make the trip. Would be nice if there were some charter buses going! Maybe a tail gate party before the game!

I think Lindale is headed that way as well.

There is a charter bus available. My first thought was why in the world do we have to drive to houston to play at 4?!? But ya know this is for the guys and the support groups and it will be an awesome experience for them. I feel like we will bring a decent crowd like we always do. Dont know much about Nederland yet but i do know they beat a heckuva team last night so they must be pretty dang good. Lets take care of business....GO MAVS!

MarMav im sure you can call the MHS Athletic dept for bus info.

Did a little digging into Nederland. They dont have any videos on Maxpreps and their hudl videos are set to private. So not much to watch except for news coverage highlights.

I read through their facebook fan page and they played in NRG last year in a loss to Manvel. But they are going to bring a serious crowd!

Their starting qb only played part time last night as he is battling a hip injury. Their best cornerback, senior #15 Hiltz was ejected so will have to sit out the first half of our game. Last night they had 30 rush attempts and 32 pass attempts so they look to be fairly balanced offensively. Just the few little video clips i saw they have a big rb #7 but not a whole lot of team speed.

A couple of interesting comments from their fans. One said that we will be the best team they have played all year while another said that we #### this year.

1 hour ago, The Real Mavfan said:

A couple of interesting comments from their fans. One said that we will be the best team they have played all year while another said that we #### this year.

Where can I find some chat with their fans?

Huntsville (10-1) Vs. Manvel (9-2) will be at NRG Stadium at noon before our game.

Interesting because....

1.  The winner of our game gets the winner of this game
2.  Former Mav HC Rodney Southern (2002-2006) is the HC at Huntsville now

Might need to see that Huntsville game.

Ned was 9-0, before losing to port neches groves,  ned in playoffs every year,  have a ton of history,  old coach was Larry Neumann before retiring couple years ago.  Gonna be tough game for Marshall,  pullin for em,  but I think ned wins by 3

On 11/17/2018 at 11:11 AM, Mavchamp said:

Where can I find some chat with their fans?

Hello hello Mavs fans,just wanna say good luck Friday and prayers for you guys traveling to and from Houston and a injury free game for players and all involved!!!Now that that’s over go Dogs!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Right now.... TBH.... our defense is just playing lights out.  Our starting D just isn't giving up points.

Gave up 7 to Lamar......who had been averaging over 30 ppg

Gave up I think 14 to Pine Tree....who was the #1 offense in 9-5A

Gave up 14 to Whitehouse.....who had been scoring like crazy all year

Completely shut out Nac and Jax... only gave up one score to Hallsville.

Defense has just been on fire.... and the offense just seems to get better and better each game.

Nederland is going to be the best team we've faced since Longview and Carthage..... so we need to be ready.  They are going to push us and test us.  

I just hope the environment doesn't get in their head.  Nederland will have a bigger crowd no doubt.  Being in NRG is a distraction.   We gotta focus.

But I believe in this team.

Can't wait till Friday!

I'd love to stay in Houston Friday....but I have family Thanksgiving on Saturday, so I"ll be heading back to the woods after our game.

May stay for part of the Lindale game  But it depends on how long the gap between the games is.

Traffic gonna be killer in Houston Friday...... ugh!  

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Looks like we got some idiot from Longview on there bad mouthing our team, band, and fans.

Maybe she should worry about Prosper and stop spending so much time thinking about the tiny insignificant schools down in 5A Div II.

SMDH.

2 hours ago, Chorizo said:

Long drive for you guys I kinda thought we would have played closer to Marshall,like halfway!!

Nacogdoches would have been almost exactly in the middle. 

I was honestly expecting SFA or Lufkin.  It would have been a equal drive for both.  I guess neither were available.  

I’m really excited about playing at NRG....but we clearly conceded any semblance of a home field advantage playing so close to Nederland.

I’m sure Ned will being 6K or more.   

A 4.5 hr drive for a 4 PM kick is going to be tough on Mav Nation.  We generally travel very well for playoff games. But this is a tall order.  I hope we represent well. 

Luckily.... the size of the crowd doesn’t determine the score.  

Safe travels to Ned and Mav fans! 

Yes Nederland side will be packed,especially because PNG plays after Id expect to have 15,000 ppl plus on Ned side.Nederland and PNG are literally touching,kids play sports together families are close,both travel extremely well and after that one week a year they pull for one another!!That doesn’t mean anything though Marshall is prob the better team from what I hear.My boys are the two qb’ s for Nederland so it’s  always exciting for me lol!!!!