5A DIV II AREA Playoff: Nederland (10-1) Vs Marshall (9-2)— 4 PM @ NRG Stadium, Houston

Mavchamp

Nederland Vs. Marshall  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Nederland in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Nederland in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

Yea that’s what I seen,we are banged up now,stud rb broke collarbone couple weeks ago,my son that is senior 3 year starter at qb didn’t play last week due to past injury and some pain so my step son  a jr played qb,game time decision,one dline is out due to a fight at school last week but still a very scrappy team!!This senior group I have coached since they were 7 in football basketball and baseball,always undersized but bigger heart than most,always successful at every sport!We are normally smaller and slower but heart determination and discipline is our success!!Not to mention best coaching staff around!!!!They will study film and shut something down,you will have to adjust game plan and beat Nederland through middle of game adjustments!!!But by no means am I saying you can’t win,from what I hear and have seen on paper your the better team,,and that falls perfectly how Nederland staff wants it,they strive on the underdog Roll!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

Wonder if Mathis lost a flip and thats why Marshall is playing at NRG

But yes Nederland will have a massive crowd they and PNG are two of the best travelling 5A fan bases out there...

I don’t know. 

But there is a pretty good chance of rain on Friday. 

Maybe playing indoors was the driving force 

Chorizo I here what you say about a team being banged up. At this point in the year injuries play a big part in the success of a team. I think I can say for Marshall that the Mavericks don't shy away from a challenge and we all hope that your team is as healthy as can possibly be come Friday. Win or lose Marshall will never make an excuse for the out come. They are also not the type of fan base that will say how Marshall is coming to beat a team. We respect all teams and hope and pray for a good clean game that's is injury free. Good luck Nederland! Go Mavs!

Without a doubt,same here.We are very beatable and I think y’all have the better team,healthy or not we are not a great team,just a scrappy team.im a realist and call it like I see it,gottahave that next man up mentality,this is what playoffs are all about,to be the man you gotta beat the man!!!Just wanna see a hard fought injury free game,no matter the outcome,both teams leave it all on the field,there is no tomorrow!!!!

Chance of rain on Friday now about 80%. 

The long drive abd home field night not be optimal..... but playing in the warm and dry gives  our offense even more fire power Vs true cold and rain. 

We need every advantage we can get when facing a very good 10-1 team.  

Nederland is done here. Since their rb went down, the offense is sputtering. Their rb wasn't a super talent either, just probably the best in district in a district that doesn't have too many stand out athletes outside of Roschon and the guys from Crosby. They will scrap though and if Marshall lets them hang around, they could make it interesting

Teams dont accidentally go 10-1. 

They deserve our full attention and respect. 

All these reports of injuries and suspended players change nothing about how I feel about them. 

They are a very good football team. 10-1. 

And a team with a tremendous history and a HUGE home field advantage for this game. 

We better give them the respect of a #1 team no matter what news we are hearing saying the contrary. 

Jmho. 

24 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Teams dont accidentally go 10-1. 

They deserve our full attention and respect. 

All these reports of injuries and suspended players change nothing about how I feel about them. 

They are a very good football team. 10-1. 

And a team with a tremendous history and a HUGE home field advantage for this game. 

We better give them the respect of a #1 team no matter what news we are hearing saying the contrary. 

Jmho. 

come on eye roll GIF by NBA

A run down of the teams they played

Crosby was/is the most talented team in the district however they lost their dual threat Qb for the season very early and had a financial crisis that fired coaches, teachers, etc all during the season, otherwise, that's a likely L for Nederland. Notice how they beat Manvel early on with him (Jaiden Howard the Qb) and the moment they play Santa Fe without their QB, the Losses start to add up. This is also right about the time (santa fe loss) when the finanical crisis became public news.

PNG wasnt going to lose to Nederland this year. #2 wasnt gonna let that happen.

Vidor doesn't pass the ball in 2018 and lost nearly every district game execept 1 or 2. 

Dayton nearly lost every game period.

Santa Fe isn't very good and has beaten teams like Crosby minus Howard, Vidor, Lee, and Dayton, all bottom feeders in this district .

Barbers Hill was down to playing their 3rd QB late in the season, something that has happened the past couple of years.

Baytown Lee is Baytown Lee.

This district was a 3 horse race between Nederland, Crosby and PNG. If Howard remained healthy, it very likely ends up like.

1.Crosby

2. PNG

3. Nederland

4. Whoever

You don't take Nederland lightly, because they are well coached regardless if they dont have standout talent. Just saying, that 10-1 is misleading.

With that being said what about Marshall’s district.What team besides them are very good,id be willing to bet Png beats there #2 team by as many as RJ wants to Friday!!!By no means am I saying Nederland is a powerhouse I’m a realist!!!

15 minutes ago, Chorizo said:

With that being said what about Marshall’s district.What team besides them are very good,id be willing to bet Png beats there #2 team by as many as RJ wants to Friday!!!By no means am I saying Nederland is a powerhouse I’m a realist!!!

Our district was full of great offenses.... and very little defense.

The only gauge I have to compare is the fact that none of our games were close.  Had we struggled....that would have been alarming.

Other than the first half of the Lindale game... Marshall steam rolled the other 6.5 games.  6 of the 7 games were over by halftime.  Our defense has been on fire.

Lindale:  starting defense gave up 21
Hallsville:  starting defense gave up 7 points
Mount Pleasant:  starting defense gave up 14 points
Jacksonville was shut out
Nacogdoches was shut out
Whitehouse:  starting defense ave up 6 points
Pine Tree:  starting defense gave up 10 points

So in district play..... Marshall's starting defense gave up an average of 8.2 point (toss in the playoff game Vs. Lamar.... and the average dropped to 8.1)

Offensively.....Marshall is averaged 38.7 PPG. in district.

I take all that with a grain of salt because I'm aware that 9-5A wasn't a juggernaut.

So.....both Nederland and Marshall could claim a questionable district slate.

End of the day...... we gotta respect them.... and take them seriously.  

I believe we can beat them.  But i"m not naive enough to think that we can't be beaten.  

Hey I understand,that’s how I feel as well,I’ll say this in most every district game our starting qb and rb didn’t play much after half,we could of beat teams way worse but our coaches will not run up a score on anyone!!!.I believe Marshall and Nederland can lose this game,gonna come down to who wants it more and who doesn’t turn the ball over!!JMO

Don’t know anything about Marshall’s opponent, but what do know about Marshall is they are very fast on both sides of the ball. 

They have three DI receivers and a QB that is hard to tackle. 

Against the Dawgs the Marshall QB was having to run for his life because the D line was in the backfield all night but he broke more tackles and made people miss like Barry Sanders. 

I believe Marshall wins this game by 14, more if he has time to find those receivers. They can flat out fly. 

Lets take a sneak peek at the districts comparisons. Im gonna use info from Maxpreps since they rank every team in the state.

Line up our teams ranked top to bottom in each district (our #1 vs their #1, down to our #8 vs their #8) and our district has 5 out of 8 teams ranked higher. We also have the top ranked team out of the two districts (Marshall ranked 3rd in 5a d2, PNG ranked 11th). Taking an average ranking of all 8 teams in each district, our district teams average 32nd while theirs ranks 36th.