Now tell me again

Destry

Saw this from the great one, Jack Stallard, Sports Director at the Longview News Journal. 

"Last Friday night of the regular season for high school football, which means now it's time for folks to start whining about the playoffs being watered down because four teams in each district are eligible for postseason play.

Shut.

Up.

Let the kids play another week of football, march in the band for another week, cheer for another week, perform in the drill team for another week, hang with their friends for another week, visit a big stadium or another city they might never have the chance to see.

How is that such a terrible thing?

They either lose and it's on to basketball season, or they win and it's a great story.

Folks who gripe about this are the same folks who whine and complain there are too many college bowl games.

There's this new piece of technology available on most television sets called an "Off Button." It's usually right next to the button that changes the channel.

If you are offended by a bunch of kids from Lugnut Tech and Bumpass Cove University someday getting the chance to tell their kids they played in the Crocs Comfy Shoes Bowl, turn off the TV and go pursue your other hobby of booing Santa Claus or hoping the participants of the annual dog show all get Parvo."

In 2013 Gladewater backed into the playoffs in the final district game. That team went 4 rounds deep and paved the way for the success of the 2014 Bear team. The experience the kids have far outweighs any negative associated with 4 teams getting in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You guys sure seem to always find something to complain about. I love high school football. I think most of the kids playing really like it too. So let them play. It’s not like the 4 seed automatically gets a berth in the semis. They have a chance to earn it just like anyone else. Sorry that offends your delicate senses.

The Craig Way explanation is to why there are 4 team districts where everyone advances. Out west the schools are spread out and they don’t want kids having to go 4 hours one way to play a district game. Y’all know how tough it can be on Longview sometimes.

If a team is celebrating a playoff berth going 0-10, then they are idiots. But if a team wins two district games to finish 4th and has a chance to play a 1 seed and see how they match up, good for them!  We all know not all districts are equal. So #4 has plenty of chances to beat #1.

Find something else to complain about besides an extra week of football...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

You guys sure seem to always find something to complain about. I love high school football. I think most of the kids playing really like it too. So let them play. It’s not like the 4 seed automatically gets a berth in the semis. They have a chance to earn it just like anyone else. Sorry that offends your delicate senses.

The Craig Way explanation is to why there are 4 team districts where everyone advances. Out west the schools are spread out and they don’t want kids having to go 4 hours one way to play a district game. Y’all know how tough it can be on Longview sometimes.

If a team is celebrating a playoff berth going 0-10, then they are idiots. But if a team wins two district games to finish 4th and has a chance to play a 1 seed and see how they match up, good for them!  We all know not all districts are equal. So #4 has plenty of chances to beat #1.

Find something else to complain about besides an extra week of football...

Totally agree! Look At Gilmer they were 4-6 playing a 9-0   SV team I knew just looking at the schedules of both teams Gilmer was going to win.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Sure it's watered down..... for a week.  All those undeserving are sent packing after ONE week.

It's an extra week of a game we all love. 

Too much football makes no sense to me.  Like too much cheesecake.  Too much steak.  Too much vodka.

JMHO

So we go from 3 to 5 preseason games to 10.

1 hour ago, NewtonNation said:

Spearman,  4th seed with a 6-4 record beat Cisco, #1 seed with a 10-0 record. That's why. Let it be decided on the field. Why people complain about more football is beyond me. I always hated the 1st round bye. It was replaced with the 4th seed. Stay home if you don't want to watch. 

Says the guy whose team was up 66-0 at halftime on Pewitt.  lol

2 hours ago, Destry said:

80 to 0.Why we have 4th place teams playing 1st place teams. I know there are exceptions, but come on people, this are PLAYOFF games.

Never can tell. Example. Gilmer vs Sunnyvale. It’s almost like you might as well let everyone in. But like you said Destry, there are exceptions. 

Year after Year, data varies only + or - 3 wins (yearly average is between 14-15 4th Place Wins)

Personally, as a fan, any Friday night with football is a good night.

As a player, I would rather than play than watch with a bye.

IF IN DOUBT, just ask the 13 Fourth Place finishers who won if they think Fourth Place teams outta play.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS, JUST GIVE ALL THE FOURTH PLACE TEAMS THE CHOICE TO OPT OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS - just how many do you think would take that route?????????????????

THE RECENT 2018 DATA ... with a handful of Saturday games left to play

2A

D1 - 1st Place Wins 16, 4th Place Wins 0;  No additonal games within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

D2 - 1st Place Wins 14, 4th Place Wins 2; 1 additional game within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

3A

D1 - 1st Place Wins 15, 4th Place Wins 1; 2 additional games within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

D2 - 1st Place Wins 14, 4th Place Wins 2; 1 additional game within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

4A

D1 - 1st Place Wins 12, 4th Place Wins 4;  1 additonal game within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

D2 - 1st Place Wins 14, 4th Place Wins 2; 1 additonal game within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

5A

D1 - 1st Place Wins 14, 4th Place Wins 2; 3 addtional games within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

D2 - 1st Place Wins 16, 4th Place Wins 0;  1 additional game within 1 score of 4th Place team winning

How entitled do you have to be to be complaining about this?  It's pretty ironic because the ones that are complaining are using the "participation trophy" argument most of the time, when they are the ones acting like they are owed the cooperation from everyone else to get what they want.   "I don't WANT those teams to make the playoffs".  Yeah?  Here's your participation trophy...  Go hang it on the fridge.  I'll be watching football Friday night while you're changing the world one entitled tantrum at a time. 

There's exceptions no doubt. That's because some districts are soooooo weak.

But in the broader things it comes to cha chang. Money starts at the HS level and goes through the NFL. Anyone that says otherwise is blind too the facts.

It doesn't run me crazy but it is what it is. Hang them bi-district finalist banners. If your all about a banner that means nothing then your in trouble program wise.

JMHO

1 minute ago, DTrump said:

There's exceptions no doubt. That's because some districts are soooooo weak.

But in the broader things it comes to cha chang. Money starts at the HS level and goes through the NFL. Anyone that says otherwise is blind too facts.

JMHO

Well, you could say that about every football game played that charges for entry.  It's all about the money.  Even in conceding that, so?  What problem is this causing?

13 minutes ago, Pax said:

Well, you could say that about every football game played that charges for entry.  It's all about the money.  Even in conceding that, so?  What problem is this causing?

My gosh is it that hard to understand? The heck with "regular season games". The UIL is all about the c-notes. Just check out how much the directors make. 

They have a building in Austin that a lot of companies can only dream about. They are more or less dictators to a point.

They have let recruiting go on for ever with zero investigation. Lazy people raking in the rewards!

#libs

37 minutes ago, DTrump said:

My gosh is it that hard to understand? The heck with "regular season games". The UIL is all about the c-notes. Just check out how much the directors make. 

They have a building in Austin that a lot of companies can only dream about. They are more or less dictators to a point.

They have let recruiting go on for ever with zero investigation. Lazy people raking in the rewards!

#libs

All because 4th seeds make the playoffs.  Got it...

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Sure it's watered down..... for a week.  All those undeserving are sent packing after ONE week.

It's an extra week of a game we all love. 

Too much football makes no sense to me.  Like too much cheesecake.  Too much steak.  Too much vodka.

JMHO

Or too much  good rum.....null

5 hours ago, NewtonNation said:

Spearman,  4th seed with a 6-4 record beat Cisco, #1 seed with a 10-0 record. That's why. Let it be decided on the field. Why people complain about more football is beyond me. I always hated the 1st round bye. It was replaced with the 4th seed. Stay home if you don't want to watch. 

Amen. I like the fact it did away with the 1st round bye. I remember when only one team went to the playoffs and people complained. Will never please everybody, so lets just sit back and enjoy some playoff football.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Destry said:

80 to 0.Why we have 4th place teams playing 1st place teams. I know there are exceptions, but come on people, this are PLAYOFF games.

Pflugerville 2007 made it to the state championship game....Mesquite horn beat temple last night, Richardson Pearce beat Cedar hill as well

2 hours ago, DTrump said:

#libs

I honestly think you're overthinking this.  Not everything in life is a conspiracy....but an evolution.

The truth is.... the brackets have exploded because the state's population has exploded.... thus the number of schools that exist and play has exploded.  

In 1990..... there were 16 million people in Texas.  There are a little over 28 million today.  Texas has almost DOUBLED in population in under 30 years.

I don't remember the exact numbers....but I remember reading an article about how there were about 1,100 schools playing football in 1990.....it's over 1,300 today. 

Go back to 1980 and only district champions went to the playoffs.  Would you like that?  16 teams per class.

I honestly don't think the bracket creep is some malicious plan by the UIL to fill their coffers or excuses to pat little Johnny on the head for being a D student.  

It's about explosive growth. 

It's about giving fans more of a product they clearly love.

It's about fun.

The only thing negative about this is that there are some that think it's negative.  

JMHO.

• Like 1