2A Division 1 Area Playoff: Alto Yellowjackets (8-3) vs. Garrison Bulldogs (9-2) @ 7:00 p.m. Friday 11/23/18 | Nacogdoches HS

StingEmALTO

Area Playoffs: Alto vs. Garrison  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Rematch! Who advances to Round 3?

• Alto
    • Garrison

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/24/2018 at 01:00 AM

Going with the dawgs...54-28

Garrsion came out last week, shook the rust off after the off week and took care of business. The defense keeps improving each week and I haven’t seen anyone that can’t stop our offense

Cant wait for Friday Night, it’s going to be fun

JYD 

From the Jacksonville Daily Progress:

Alto playoff run continues

Alto to engage Garrison (again) this week

When the Alto Yellowjackets and the Bulldogs from Garrison face off later this week in their Class 2A, Division I contest, it will be the second time in the past two months that the clubs have played one another.

Garrison (9-2) defeated the Mean Sting (8-3) 35-21 in Alto on Sept. 21. Alto turned the ball over a half dozen times in that game.

Both clubs sailed to lopsided wins in their respective bi-district games last week. Alto bowled over Normangee 47-16 and the Bulldogs chewed up Groveton 56-28.

The Yellowjackets are coached by Ricky Meeks.

The Mean Sting and the 'Dogs will play at 7 p.m. Friday at Nacogdoches' Dragon Stadium.

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/rusk-troup-and-alto-playoff-runs-continue/article_4590168c-ec1f-11e8-aee8-0bfc7870ec00.html

B8C3DC7A-14F4-4BC4-B043-479474454086.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Alto has been testing since the early 90s. Every kid who participates in any extra-curricular activity (including academic UIL) is tested. Everyone gets an initial test in order to participate before the student’s respective season begins (that means practice!). Then random tests are given periodically throughout the year. No one knows the day they are coming, only that there is a window of time. It is a good deterrent and gives kids the opportunity to say NO.

With that said, kids make bad choices. Adults, too, for that matter. Been happening for decades and centuries and will continue. Learn from your mistakes! So many life lessons to be learned when you accept consequences and make a change. 

I’m glad we have this policy and believe it really helps our kids, even if the consequence has a far-reaching effect. Another good life lesson though: your individual actions affect more than just you. I’m proud we have administrators and coaches who adhere to our own local rules and expectations. We are better for it in the long run. 

I agree and from my understanding it’s up to the Superintendent to determine how often the test should be performed. I really wish people would do their research before assuming. 

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

9 minutes ago, StingEm1993 said:

I agree and from my understanding it’s up to the Superintendent to determine how often the test should be performed. I really wish people would do their research before assuming. 

Actually, I do not believe the superintendent determines anything except 1) which testing company to contract with and 2) the date for the initial test for all students (which they are well aware of!).  After that there is a window, but no one knows which date they will come.

5 hours ago, StingEm1993 said:

I really wish people would do some research before assuming!

6 minutes ago, Foozball said:

Back to the game at hand. How much more improved is Alto since their first meeting? And has Garrison improved as much? What are the injuries like on Garrison’s side?

Alto’s passing good is 100% better than it was then, but it was pretty bad at that time. Our defense has made some improvements as of late, but the competition hasn’t been as good. We haven’t been turning the ball over as much lately, with the starters. If Thacker can do what we all know he is capable of then we should be just as good running the football, and be more of a grind it out offense.

Garrison's DBs have picked off several passes the past few games.  We have been burned a couple of times too when they came up to support the run too soon as well.. Overall, we are playing a lot better defensively than when we played Alto and SA early in the season ...

24 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison's DBs have picked off several passes the past few games.  We have been burned a couple of times too when they came up to support the run too soon as well.. Overall, we are playing a lot better defensively than when we played Alto and SA early in the season ...

That #3 sophomore receiver from Groveton was legit. He is a heck of a player and burned the Dogs on a few plays. He could flat out catch the ball. 

50 minutes ago, Foozball said:

Back to the game at hand. How much more improved is Alto since their first meeting? And has Garrison improved as much? What are the injuries like on Garrison’s side?

I think our boys have settled in and are playing much better ball right now.....and with more confidence which is so important. Yes, the competition has not been as great as that stretch in our schedule of really good teams in Garrison, Corrigan-Camden, Big Sandy, and Carlisle, but they have had more time in the new system and our coaches are constantly making adjustments to figure out what works best. I like that. They have managed to minimize penalties and are protecting the ball so much better. The defense is stingy. The real test will be how these improvements, the game plan, and our confidence level are against a district champion opponent. We have made leaps and bounds since Carlisle (a very humbling night! Lol). I think we match up pretty well with Garrison and I truly expect us to win this game. It will surprise  some....not me! 😂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Actually, I do not believe the superintendent determines anything except 1) which testing company to contract with and 2) the date for the initial test for all students (which they are well aware of!).  After that there is a window, but no one knows which date they will come.

This is the way it’s done at Waskom. 

• Like 1

Alto has yet to play a good 4 full quarters in one game. I’m hoping this will be the week, if not now, it will be next year. We knew these last few games would hopefully get us some momentum going into this rematch, but last week the JV actually played more than the starters on Offense and almost the same on defense. It’s time for a great performance, we’ve been able to do it in the past, it’s time for it again. 

Just now, Alto44 said:

Alto has yet to play a good 4 full quarters in one game. I’m hoping this will be the week, if not now, it will be next year. We knew these last few games would hopefully get us some momentum going into this rematch, but last week the JV actually played more than the starters on Offense and almost the same on defense. It’s time for a great performance, we’ve been able to do it in the past, it’s time for it again. 

I thought Hawkins was as close to a consecutive 4 quarters of good ball that I have seen us play in a really long while.  Every facet of the game was pretty dadgum good.........especially in for the conditions of the pig pen.  No turnovers and I think 3 penalties was it.  I know that Hawkins was not very good, of course, but I have seen us play some pretty sub-standard/average teams and also not look very good.  SO, it was great to see us put together a complete game against a team we should have dominated, and then to continue that the next three weeks.  Excited to see how we will use these stepping stones to battle a quality opponent.......one we hung with until nearly the end when we were so sloppy.

23 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I thought Hawkins was as close to a consecutive 4 quarters of good ball that I have seen us play in a really long while.  Every facet of the game was pretty dadgum good.........especially in for the conditions of the pig pen.  No turnovers and I think 3 penalties was it.  I know that Hawkins was not very good, of course, but I have seen us play some pretty sub-standard/average teams and also not look very good.  SO, it was great to see us put together a complete game against a team we should have dominated, and then to continue that the next three weeks.  Excited to see how we will use these stepping stones to battle a quality opponent.......one we hung with until nearly the end when we were so sloppy.

Garrison is not Hawkins .. lol .. we haven't  played anyone who has stopped or really even slowed down our offense ... we just need to make some stops on defense and we should come out on top again ... if we take care of the ball and limit our penalties we will win this rematch ... oh, and I hope we don't  get the same officiating crew again ... smh ...

20 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Hawkins was close, but we kind of went on coast after we got ahead. I’m talking no turnovers, no personal fouls, and playing lights out defense on the edges. We need to improve on our contain, it has been bad and was even against Hawkins. I don’t mind a few penalties, a hold here and there or face mask by accident, small penalties, but these personal fouls have gotten out of hand. If we control our mouths and emotions, and don’t get the dumb penalties we can play with just about anyone. I love the energy and emotion we show, but they have to learn to control it. We need a good clean game, with good tackling and keep contain on the corners and we can beat Garrison.

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

Garrison is not Hawkins .. lol .. we haven't  played anyone who has stopped or really even slowed down our offense ... we just need to make some stops on defense and we should come out on top again ... if we take care of the ball and limit our penalties we will win this rematch ... oh, and I hope we don't  get the same officiating crew again ... smh ...

Same here on the officials! We will slow y’all down this week. Mark that down, I’ll be here to eat Friday night if we don’t.

7 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I thought I made it clear that Garrison is not Hawkins. "pretty sub-standard/average teams" = Hawkins | "quality opponent" = Garrison

Yep, y'all have been outscoring folks for sure.  Not exactly Kansas City/Los Angeles lol, but YES, we have to figure a way to stop (or slow down) your offense.....get a few stops ourselves!

20 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I thought I made it clear that Garrison is not Hawkins. "pretty sub-standard/average teams" = Hawkins | "quality opponent" = Garrison

Yep, y'all have been outscoring folks for sure.  Not exactly Kansas City/Los Angeles lol, but YES, we have to figure a way to stop (or slow down) your offense.....get a few stops ourselves!

A simple formula works every game,score first and then match every score they  make.at the end of the night you have won...it's magical..lol 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

A simple formula works every game,score first and then match every score they  make.at the end of the night you have won...it's magical..lol 

Would love for our 1-2 to take down their 1-2.  I know we'll have our hands full, but I think y'all roll pretty handily.  The way I see it:  Gerald >=Keenan+team speed&weapons = INJUN WIN!! lol

4 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Would love for our 1-2 to take down their 1-2.  I know we'll have our hands full, but I think y'all roll pretty handily.  The way I see it:  Gerald >=Keenan+team speed&weapons = INJUN WIN!! lol

Yeah, I was impressed with Carlisle. I thought Garrison was the team to beat in the Region until we went to Carlisle. Good solid, well prepared football team. 

37 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

We got off to a bad start with Alto last go around ... something about being two TDs behind when you get off the bus over there ... lol ... we are playing in Nac this time ... thank goodness!!!! ...

6 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We got off to a bad start with Alto last go around ... something about being two TDs behind when you get off the bus over there ... lol ... we are playing in Nac this time ... thank goodness!!!! ...

You won’t be saying that Friday night. 😂 

On 11/19/2018 at 8:46 AM, KirtFalcon said:

That old saying is very true, however it's usually said when the lesser team won the first game ... that didn't happen in this case ...

I was going back to the DF/NB series in 10 thru 12.  Split both season.  It was a curse winning dist and meeting again in the qtrs. The dist champ lost both qtr game.  DF in 11 and NB in 12.  This will only happen if the dimes are neck and neck in Talent. LOL

20 minutes ago, OLEMAN said:

I was going back to the DF/NB series in 10 thru 12.  Split both season.  It was a curse winning dist and meeting again in the qtrs. The dist champ lost both qtr game.  DF in 11 and NB in 12.  This will only happen if the dimes are neck and neck in Talent. LOL

I don't think they can match us offensively, not even close ... our defense just needs to step up and make some stops ....