2A Division 1 Area Playoff: Alto Yellowjackets (8-3) vs. Garrison Bulldogs (9-2) @ 7:00 p.m. Friday 11/23/18 | Nacogdoches HS

StingEmALTO

Area Playoffs: Alto vs. Garrison  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Rematch! Who advances to Round 3?

• Alto
    • Garrison

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/24/2018 at 01:00 AM

50 minutes ago, StingEm1993 said:

Alto44 are you from ALTO? If so why constantly blast our football team. I believe they have worked really hard to get where they are. 

When have I ever blasted Alto, I was giving the band props. You have more than one year of working hard and playing good to get work ethic and dedication. I agree we are headed in the right direction, but you can’t have kids quitting and kids failing drug test and having discipline problems and expect be to say they are dedicated and have work ethic yet. Some kids already had both of those things, but they would’ve had that with the old coaches too. It wasn’t a poke at the team or the coaches, so maybe you should zip it up. Also, everyone knows High ain’t playing, so no surprise there. I know 11 pretty good, and maybe I ain’t telling the true story on him, smarty pants.

10 hours ago, Alto44 said:

Yeah, that band works hard, if our football team would get some of their work ethic and dedication we would be hard to beat.

When have you seen a band do push ups after the National Anthem and after half time for little small mistakes, I have, and it takes dedication to do that. You think our coaches could get all our boys to buy into that, I do, but not yet. It takes time, you can’t snap your fingers and expect excellents, but we should all be working to get that way. 

18 hours ago, Foozball said:

I’ve seen both teams play, though I believe Alto has made some changes since I saw them last. Based on what I have seen, IF both teams are going in injury free I see a lopsided victory in favor of Garrison.  

Garrison has a big explosive O line that will uproot you and put you on your back where the linebackers should be. The running back is a big and methodical runner that will 6 yard you to death every run.  

The defense has ran into some issues in the tough district 11 but they got the job done.  

But the single largest factor in my opinion, based off my observation, is that Garrison plays clean football with limited mistakes. And Alto has had the tendency to make mistakes and have some turnover issues. 

If you do not play mistake free football against Garrison you run the risk of getting blown out fairly early.  

Prediction: A hard nosed contest the first half but Alto mistakes plus Garrison Offense begins to wear Alto down middle of the 3rd for a final of 42-21.

We made as many or more mistakes as Alto in that early season game.  It was also one of the worst officiated games I have seen in quite a while.  I agree, if we stick to the basics and limit our mistakes we should be able to physically dominate the game and get the win.  If they play Thacker at QB, I think that will be a mistake as it was against Carlisle ... We just need to throw enough to keep them honest on defense ... Wise was off target for the most part in the first game, but he seems to be back on target lately.  Dawgs take care of the ball and limit the penalties and we should continue to roll Friday night ...

37 minutes ago, Alto44 said:

When have I ever blasted Alto, I was giving the band props. You have more than one year of working hard and playing good to get work ethic and dedication. I agree we are headed in the right direction, but you can’t have kids quitting and kids failing drug test and having discipline problems and expect be to say they are dedicated and have work ethic yet. Some kids already had both of those things, but they would’ve had that with the old coaches too. It wasn’t a poke at the team or the coaches, so maybe you should zip it up. Also, everyone knows High ain’t playing, so no surprise there. I know 11 pretty good, and maybe I ain’t telling the true story on him, smarty pants.

I think Alto has had more than a year of working hard. Sure 4-7 last year but 7-4, 11-1, 11-1, 9-4 the years before. Work ethic and dedication aint the problem. Kids quit nowadays because its the easy way out. And lets face it football is a tough game that takes tough kids. If it was easy there would be 120 players on the sideline.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We made as many or more mistakes as Alto in that early season game.  It was also one of the worst officiated games I have seen in quite a while.  I agree, if we stick to the basics and limit our mistakes we should be able to physically dominate the game and get the win.  If they play Thacker at QB, I think that will be a mistake as it was against Carlisle ... We just need to throw enough to keep them honest on defense ... Wise was off target for the most part in the first game, but he seems to be back on target lately.  Dawgs take care of the ball and limit the penalties and we should continue to roll Friday night ...

Most of what you said is true for both teams, the officials were bad for sure. Our passing game is a lot better, Qb has settled in and is throwing with more confidence. You will see Thacker, just at running back, he isn’t as shifty as High but still not fun to tackle. I’m just not seeing the blow out or the winning in a dominant performance that you are. I see a hard fought game, and close to the end, just not a W for Garrison. 

2 minutes ago, WinOn3 said:

I think Alto has had more than a year of working hard. Sure 4-7 last year but 7-4, 11-1, 11-1, 9-4 the years before. Work ethic and dedication aint the problem. Kids quit nowadays because its the easy way out. And lets face it football is a tough game that takes tough kids. If it was easy there would be 120 players on the sideline.

Nope, we’ve been on coast for a while. I thought the meaning of dedication and work ethic was getting through tough times, working hard, come to practice every day, put in the time, being tough, and discipline when it’s needed. That’s what I was taught, why is it to much to ask now. Football is a lot easier now than it ever was before, so what’s the problem. 

14 minutes ago, Alto44 said:

Nope, we’ve been on coast for a while. I thought the meaning of dedication and work ethic was getting through tough times, working hard, come to practice every day, put in the time, being tough, and discipline when it’s needed. That’s what I was taught, why is it to much to ask now. Football is a lot easier now than it ever was before, so what’s the problem. 

I'm just saying that from what I see on Friday nights the kids work hard and are dedicated. And as far as what the problem is I don't know if there is one. the three teams that beat em were pretty dang good. 

1 minute ago, WinOn3 said:

I'm just saying that from what I see on Friday nights the kids work hard and are dedicated. And as far as what the problem is I don't know if there is one. the three teams that beat em were pretty dang good. 

Nothing I’ve said has been about this team not working hard, somebody was trying to call me out about giving the band props, nothing to do with this team. I believe in what we got going, I just don’t think every kid down on the field has sold out yet. That takes time, some people are just quitters and that can’t be helped. These coaches are finding out who they are and working on fixing the problems.

Be honest with ya selves,did the good people of Alto think that they would have to completely assemble a ad and coaching staff,learn a complete new system and be in the second round of the playoffs in the first year?man that is something in itself.what will the team look like with a couple years with coach Meeks at the helm and better acquainted with the kids and community..should be fun to watch...but the fans have to buy in also...from the youngest to the oldest..chain out..

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Be honest with ya selves,did the good people of Alto think that they would have to completely assemble a ad and coaching staff,learn a complete new system and be in the second round of the playoffs in the first year?man that is something in itself.what will the team look like with a couple years with coach Meeks at the helm and better acquainted with the kids and community..should be fun to watch...but the fans have to buy in also...from the youngest to the oldest..chain out..

I agree, you smaarrtt

Garrison is very good. They find a bunch of ways to win football games. Their offense has scored a bunch of points this year. No one has kept them completely in check. Porter is salty, and watts has incredible straight line speed. Wise is a good little runner as well. Their defense finds ways to get the stops when they need them. If their is one “gripe” about Garrison, it is that they tend to let folks hang around. Even the other night against Groveton, the Indians could have easily had 2-3 other TDs in the 1st half. (For the record, it wouldn’t have mattered. Groveton would not have stopped the Dogs)

IF Alto can take care of the football, which they have done a much better job of lately, I think they have the potential to make this one interesting. I just don’t see it being the run away that Garrison folks are predicting UNLESS Alto turns the ball over. If either team does turn the ball over multiple times, the other is plenty good enough to take control.

7 hours ago, villagegenius said:

Garrison is very good. They find a bunch of ways to win football games. Their offense has scored a bunch of points this year. No one has kept them completely in check. Porter is salty, and watts has incredible straight line speed. Wise is a good little runner as well. Their defense finds ways to get the stops when they need them. If their is one “gripe” about Garrison, it is that they tend to let folks hang around. Even the other night against Groveton, the Indians could have easily had 2-3 other TDs in the 1st half. (For the record, it wouldn’t have mattered. Groveton would not have stopped the Dogs)

IF Alto can take care of the football, which they have done a much better job of lately, I think they have the potential to make this one interesting. I just don’t see it being the run away that Garrison folks are predicting UNLESS Alto turns the ball over. If either team does turn the ball over multiple times, the other is plenty good enough to take control.

You wise beyond your years! I agree with you 100% , if they let us hang around we got a good shot. Last year S.A made that mistake and we should have won that game in district. We are a lot better this year and have gotten better about turning the ball over.

49-28 Garrison

I think Porter and the offensive line will slowly wear down that defense! Nobody has slowed down this offense yet so until somebody does I’m going with Garrison. I don’t think nobody in the region can keep them us under 35 points it’s just whether or not they can keep the other teams below that. 

56 minutes ago, AlphaDawg said:

49-28 Garrison

I think Porter and the offensive line will slowly wear down that defense! Nobody has slowed down this offense yet so until somebody does I’m going with Garrison. I don’t think nobody in the region can keep them us under 35 points it’s just whether or not they can keep the other teams below that. 

Garrison hasn’t really “ran away” from anyone worth anything the whole season. By ran away, I mean a blowout of 3 or more scores. Closest to that was beating Joe by 20. They beat Timpson by 23, while Alto beat Timpson by 24. Basically the same margin. Alto gave em 7 extra possessions and still had em tied at 21 in the 4th. They’ll get theirs. But we got some burners too, and we will get ours. Garrison ain’t running away from the Jackets. Take that to the bank 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ilovefootball2 said:

Heard at the coffee shop in alto yesterday morning that a guy or to fail the drug test by the state are the district and he is done !!  Wonder who the kid was it made a stupid mistake!  Drugs are not good but that’s the coaches fault for not disciplined  in the program ! 

Most moronic comment of the post. Coaches fault? You barely mustered a response from me. Let’s hear your brilliant preventative disciplinary measures please. Especially when the coach suspended the 1st star player 5 games at the beginning of the year. Did you know that drug testing is not mandated by the UIL? So to say we lack discipline is absurd. If anything, we are at a higher standard disciplinary and accountability wise. How many coaches do you know that drug test their best RB (a running back leading ET in rushing) right before the playoffs and put their livelihood on the line for the greater good of teaching someone a tough life lesson? I applaud our coach. Period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Garrison hasn’t really “ran away” from anyone worth anything the whole season. By ran away, I mean a blowout of 3 or more scores. Closest to that was beating Joe by 20. They beat Timpson by 23, while Alto beat Timpson by 24. Basically the same margin. Alto gave em 7 extra possessions and still had em tied at 21 in the 4th. They’ll get theirs. But we got some burners too, and we will get ours. Garrison ain’t running away from the Jackets. Take that to the bank 

Alto didn't give Garrison anything ... lol ... our defense cause most of those turnovers ... and the officiating kept the game a lot closer than it should have been ... your "home cookin" clock operator probably cost us another score before the half running almost 2 1/2 minutes off the clock after two first down runs and two plays that went out of bounds where he never stopped the clock forcing us to throw several passes with about 18 seconds left when there should have been almost 2 minutes left .... that game shouldn't have been anywhere near as close as it was ....