The Browns Keep On Brownsing

Stoney

I think it's just to fulfill the Rooney Rule.  She's said she's not interested, but can see women in coaching down the line :  

Condoleezza Rice
7 hours ago

I love my Browns -- and I know they will hire an experienced coach to take us to the next level.

On a more serious note, I do hope that the NFL will start to bring women into the coaching profession as position coaches and eventually coordinators and head coaches. One doesn't have to play the game to understand it and motivate players. But experience counts -- and it is time to develop a pool of experienced women coaches.

BTW -- I'm not ready to coach but I would like to call a play or two next season if the Browns need ideas! And at no time will I call for a "prevent defense."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Thanks for this, it's a great article. Long, but very well-written and documented.

But for those of you who don't have the time or inclination, here's the key excerpt: 

It looked like another wasted season, with the looming threat of another coaching search and another failed first-round quarterback on top of it.

But then something phenomenal happened, as if cosmic forces had finally aligned in the Browns' favor: The team won five of its final seven games, and it became clear the quarterback was neither a product of his head coach nor a spreadsheet. He was his own strange force, cocky but endearing, raw but gifted. He called Jackson a "fake" on Instagram. He refused to concede an inch to anyone, and his fierce, hungry approach to the game and his world became contagious.

After Mayfield led the Browns to an upset over the Falcons in November, he said, "When I woke up this morning, I was feeling pretty dangerous." It became an instant catchphrase around Cleveland, popping up on T-shirts, lifting a city still stinging after LeBron James left for Los Angeles. All of a sudden, it looked as if Jimmy and Dee Haslam had the most important prerequisite to being premier NFL owners -- a franchise quarterback -- and head coach of the Cleveland Browns was again a sought-after job. The Haslams found themselves in an unfamiliar position but with a very familiar challenge before them.

They didn't have to start over.

But they did have to not mess things up.

I don't think they messed things up by firing Hue Jackson, but it's too early to tell about Freddie Kitchens as their Head Coach.  He's only served as Assistant Head Coach with the Browns.  While I think they should improve, I don't see them making the playoffs unless the Steelers completely implode, and it looks like they have.   They have 10 picks (maybe 11) next year, and they should get better.  If they do make the playoffs next year, then I'll say Kitchens is the man for the job.  If not, they're just Brownsing again.  

• 2 weeks later...

God, I must admit that since Baker Mayfield has gone to the Browns and they actually started playing him at QB...I watched every one of their games on the NFL package...they are a fun team and if Kareem Hunt becomes eligible then game on, they will be even more lethal. If they can get some more nice pieces on offense (WR's) then geez they can really be a force in the AFC.

• Like 2

I think it's a good pickup for the Browns.  If Kareem can rehabilitate himself, and he's shown remorse in my opinion then I think he deserves a second chance.  With that being said, he's going to have to keep his nose clean for the rest of his career.  While I believe in giving people more than a second chance, I don't think he'll see that in the NFL.  The Lord says to forgive someone 70 X 7  Matthew 18:21-22.  

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, AKA said:

Looks like "Brownsing" is a new way of saying, "make bold off-season moves in order to ensure success." 

Just hope they don't mess around and Cowboy it up.   :D 

Or with what the Texans haven't done and lost Texain't it up.  If the Browns don't win the AFC North they need to fire Kitchens.  This team should be devastating next year with the talent they have, even without Hunt.  They have 6 draft picks with no 1st rounder, and 3 5th rounders.  They might be fun to watch this year.