3A D-1 Sleeper State Champion

TCU44

30 minutes ago, OLEMAN said:

Agree,  all 3 schools are much bigger than the average. District numbers.  Have to have the cutoff somewhere and the realignment numbers are as fair as possible.

Correct.  If you drop or go up, there is a reason.  

Guest Tiger03lb
3 hours ago, GWBears01 said:

Considering that Gladewater wasn’t even in the top 25 in the state to start the season why cant we be sleepers ?  We opened some eyes along the way but I’m not sure why we are even considered favorites against Malakoff. 

We are use to it by now for the last 3/4 yrs. To me, I think we play better when we are the underdogs in games like these.

3 hours ago, OLEMAN said:

Agree,  all 3 schools are much bigger than the average. District numbers.  Have to have the cutoff somewhere and the realignment numbers are as fair as possible.

Yeah we got use to being one of the smallest teams in 4A until the drop. I doubt anyone will apologize for the depth we have after playing much bigger schools for the last several years. 

6 minutes ago, Rodman said:

Don’t apologize at all. Enjoy it. Plus dropping doesn’t equate to dominating. Tatum got ousted first round. West Rusk had to move up and was still extremely competitive. 

Exactly. I believe we would have been competitive this year in 4AD2 and the level of competition in 3AD1 hasn’t been much different. The difference is depth for the bigger schools. In 3A most teams can’t withstand too many injuries and we have definitely seen a lot more players going both ways. 

11 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

I dont consider any 4a drop down sleepers because they should already have the depth to play with any 3a school.... Gladewater Atlanta Tatum were never sleepers but contenders from the start

That's amazing to hear since early in the year, when Gladewater fans were excited about the Bears, everyone was telling us just because you dropped doesn't mean you will do well in 3A D1. They said our record from last year hurt us, despite the fact that for those last 2 years in 4A D2 we were ranked as having the toughest schedule in all of 4A. In fact we weren't picked to win our district this year. We weren't even in the top 25 of the polls. It wasn't until we beat PG, the defending 4A D2 Champs that we started climbing the polls, and much of that wasn't necessarily because we were winning but because those above us were losing.

I agree at this point in the season we shouldn't be considered a sleeper, but looking at where we started to where we are now, we are a team that was slept on and not given a chance, but have far exceeded OTHER'S expectations. On the other hand, Bear fans have known from the start the talent we have and the potential for this to be a really good team. It's a fact that most here on this site thought us just a little crazy and arrogant at the start of the season when we talked highly of our Bears. 

1 hour ago, Golfingnut said:

That's amazing to hear since early in the year, when Gladewater fans were excited about the Bears, everyone was telling us just because you dropped doesn't mean you will do well in 3A D1. They said our record from last year hurt us, despite the fact that for those last 2 years in 4A D2 we were ranked as having the toughest schedule in all of 4A. In fact we weren't picked to win our district this year. We weren't even in the top 25 of the polls. It wasn't until we beat PG, the defending 4A D2 Champs that we started climbing the polls, and much of that wasn't necessarily because we were winning but because those above us were losing.

I agree at this point in the season we shouldn't be considered a sleeper, but looking at where we started to where we are now, we are a team that was slept on and not given a chance, but have far exceeded OTHER'S expectations. On the other hand, Bear fans have known from the start the talent we have and the potential for this to be a really good team. It's a fact that most here on this site thought us just a little crazy and arrogant at the start of the season when we talked highly of our Bears. 

I knew from the start you guys were gonna be good. I believe I had yall and franklin as my title game in week 1....I have since moved Grandview vs yall but I have always had Gladewater in the title game because of the fact that yall have played in the district of doom for manby years and have been battle tested by the best of 4A every year. When you moved down yall should of been unbeaten and running through these playoffs.

That's just my opinion

31 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

I knew from the start you guys were gonna be good. I believe I had yall and franklin as my title game in week 1....I have since moved Grandview vs yall but I have always had Gladewater in the title game because of the fact that yall have played in the district of doom for manby years and have been battle tested by the best of 4A every year. When you moved down yall should of been unbeaten and running through these playoffs.

That's just my opinion

Thanks

Not sure "running through" would fit too many teams. Many have said that we should be dominating in the playoffs, but it comes down to our style of play and matchups. Usually if we are up at the half we go into our ground and pound offense, which becomes a really good defense. We've had many drives this year over 9 mins. Last year we had one drive that went 22 plays and used up the whole 3rd quarter. Good teams don't necessarily have to be as dominate as the '83 Daingerfied Tigers. 

Guest Tiger03lb
3 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

After I seen you guys in person against Atlanta, I had a feeling you guys can make it out of region 2 with everything you guys have. I believe whomever wins out of us on Friday will win the region. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

After I seen you guys in person against Atlanta, I had a feeling you guys can make it out of region 2 with everything you guys have. I believe whomever wins out of us on Friday will win the region. 

Believe it or not da Bears got a lot better since then. One of the most dynamic players on the field wasn’t even playing varsity at the time

38 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Should be interesting. However it's normally tough to beat a team twice in the same season. Last time the Bears accomplished that was against Atlanta, but it was anything but easy. Beat them by 1 point in a pouring rain at Lobo. Used our 300 pound D-Lineman as a RB. He gained over 150 yrds that night. I can still see that Mack Truck lumbering down the field with Rabbits on his back. It was a wonderful sight! 😊

On 11/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, highschoolfootball99 said:

Sleepers...I wouldn't say anyone left is a sleeper

East chambers at the moment is bc they shouldn't of beat west but they did and did with authority. Now they get the chance to become contenders is they knock off the yoe!

Mount Vernon if they can beat Atlanta will be a team to reckon with.

Edna became a threat after they beat East Bernard and Goliad.

Grandview knocked off Malakoff with authority and now has beat Rockdale and Woodville.

So to me EC and MV are the sleepers!

EC could be the biggest surprise.

Guest Tiger03lb
12 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

EC could be the biggest surprise.

Could be right. Surprised a lot of us. The past two days have been a lot of upsets.

Guest Tiger03lb
30 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

We would love to rematch it 

Could have a rematch against yoakum from a few years ago. Would love to see that as well. 

I would like to see a Malakoff-Grandview rematch, too. Although I think Malakoff will beat Atlanta, I see the Grandview-East Chambers game as a toss-up.

Malakoff was very impressive in the win over Gladewater and has been like a buzzsaw through district and playoffs. We will see what happens this week.

On Nov 11 Texas Football I believe the article was written by Matt Stepp named the Malakoff Tigers as a sleeper team in Region 2 

Included in the write up the lack of respect from Deep NE Texas towards the Tigers.

I was never to concerned about that because I knew we would get our chance to prove it on the field. 

23 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

On Nov 11 Texas Football I believe the article was written by Matt Stepp named the Malakoff Tigers as a sleeper team in Region 2 

Included in the write up the lack of respect from Deep NE Texas towards the Tigers.

I was never to concerned about that because I knew we would get our chance to prove it on the field. 

I never had any disrespect for Malakoff and I wonder if others are the same and just don’t know much about them. Until I saw you guys in person I had no idea of the talent you guys have on the field. I could barely find any video out there to watch of your team. With that said you guys are a very well kept secret!