Essary leaving Athens

Sandman

1 hour ago, DOB said:

Not all that glitters is gold ... winning is a goal, an objective, an outcome, or a result ... nothing wrong with that ... but someone wiser that me once said that - the problem with winning is that once you start you better not stop ... because people come to take it for granted and expect it  ... if the expectations are more - then make sure that more is obtainable ... I wish him luck on his future journey ... I wish Athens luck on their future journey - as long as they don't forget, that it's ALWAYS ALL about the kids.

success.jpg

+100

On 12/6/2018 at 10:31 AM, BoHogg said:

Maybe, maybe not. Super calling the gig.  Wants spread offense. Bowman gets strong look. 

These types of statements are what really rile me up about the whole thing. And I know it may be hearsay but if you have a brain you will see that you do not have to be a spread team to be successful.

I love the spread but I am from Athens, played there, and have watched for years. Essary got as much out of those kids as anyone ever has. Was the offense conservative, yes. But it was built for the kids that were there. Not to mention Essary was able, for the most part, to sidestep the politics that have infested the place for decades. 

Would Pleasant Grove be as successful as they’ve been without the wing t? Carthage is utterly dominant year in and year out because they are the Patriots of East Texas. Their offense has basic principles but last year it was more of a pro set team because of the Ingram kid. Now this year they don’t have him so it’s more throwing and spreading out more(although I don’t consider their offense a true “spread”). Anybody got a problem with what Carthage does? I’m sure they’ll ponder moving to the spread once the glare from all those rings gets out of their eyes.

The spread is not a miracle potion. Teams that run it without the right personnel are absolutely ugly. And Athens doesn’t have the right personnel. Anyone who has actually watched them will agree. They are big kids that play hard with very little speed and usually have QB’s that don’t have extremely strong arms. That’s not a knock because I know they do what they can. But it is extremely near sided to make a coaching change just to go out and find a “spread guy”. Arkansas did it. How’s that working with the personnel left over from last year? Tyler Lee since Owens left?

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
16 minutes ago, YourKillinMePetey said:

These types of statements are what really rile me up about the whole thing. And I know it may be hearsay but if you have a brain you will see that you do not have to be a spread team to be successful.

I love the spread but I am from Athens, played there, and have watched for years. Essary got as much out of those kids as anyone ever has. Was the offense conservative, yes. But it was built for the kids that were there. Not to mention Essary was able, for the most part, to sidestep the politics that have infested the place for decades. 

Would Pleasant Grove be as successful as they’ve been without the wing t? Carthage is utterly dominant year in and year out because they are the Patriots of East Texas. Their offense has basic principles but last year it was more of a pro set team because of the Ingram kid. Now this year they don’t have him so it’s more throwing and spreading out more(although I don’t consider their offense a true “spread”). Anybody got a problem with what Carthage does? I’m sure they’ll ponder moving to the spread once the glare from all those rings gets out of their eyes.

The spread is not a miracle potion. Teams that run it without the right personnel are absolutely ugly. And Athens doesn’t have the right personnel. Anyone who has actually watched them will agree. They are big kids that play hard with very little speed and usually have QB’s that don’t have extremely strong arms. That’s not a knock because I know they do what they can. But it is extremely near sided to make a coaching change just to go out and find a “spread guy”. Arkansas did it. How’s that working with the personnel left over from last year? Tyler Lee since Owens left?

You nailed it. You got to have the right kids to fit whatever offense you can run with them. I believe it was last year or the year before, Athens started to run more spread or get into some spread formations. But they didn't have the qb to really do to much with it. 

3 hours ago, betweentheposts said:

Yes, he got the program going in the right direction but then stalled out several years ago. Its just the way life is in today's world, everyone expects more out of you. What is the reason they are releasing him? That is the question you have to ask. Why? Making the playoffs in a 6 team district, 4 teams go, isn't enough to make the powers of above always happy. Of course there is places in ET that not winning is good enough, like Palestine and Robert E. Lee, but its obvious Athens wants more.

Don’t think he was released all his decision is what I understand. 

Guest Tiger03lb
57 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

From what I was told, Athens didn't renew his contract and yes it was his decision to leave early at the end of the semester. 

On 12/6/2018 at 10:31 AM, BoHogg said:

Maybe, maybe not. Super calling the gig.  Wants spread offense. Bowman gets strong look. 

Well, sup is a former coach .... however, not sure his coaching pedigree lends itself to have been around a winning football program.

It's kinda hard to pin down the exact years but the was at Honey Grove probably in the mid-to-late '90's ... which was hardly a bastion of football prowess (probably under Manley, who did have some success over his career)

He moved to Channelview in the late '90's ... probably under Harry McCluskey who was 1-9, 1-9, and 1-9 in his three years at CHS before retiring.  I knew Harry from his Stroman days, liked him OK, but he was no Spread Coach.

He was hired by Brent Southworth at Paris in 2002, who was 22-28 in his five seasons at Paris before ended his HCing career at Santa Fe with a 1-9.

At that point he apparently entered admin at Howe.

Not saying he wasn't around "successful" programs, but he wasn't really around "winning" programs.   Which is to mean that there is more to coaching KIDS than just wins.  I've know a lot of programs that were successful without becoming perennial visitors to Jerry's World.  Like I've said before, there's nothing wrong with winning as a goal or objective, unless it begins to supersede the inherent values in team sports and becomes the ONE and ONLY objective.  I believe winning comes to people who do enough of the right things right in the right way.  In that case, winning tends to take care of itself.

Just not sure though of his knowledge, pro or con, about football offenses ... but I been wrong before.  Being a new sup, I would think it is more likely that he has someone in mind that he wants to bring in ... while it may not be the case here, that's normally how sup's work - establishing their power base around their own people.  Not being judgmental, just stating what I have experienced in forty-some-odd years in the bizness.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:03 PM, Coach0001 said:

So he just decided after all this time to leave without a job set up?  We have all this success at Athens and we are gone?  I can see leaving on your own terms but you normally have a job lined up I would think.  There has to be an article in the Athens paper that would get us a little closer to the truth but honestly it really doesn't matter now.

2 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

Contracts don't come up to later in the year

Administrator contracts come up every day, or at least every time the school board meets, or in the case of Head Football Coaches every Friday night.

If Athens was not going to renew his contract, I applaud them for letting him know at the end of the season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Administrator contracts come up every day, or at least every time the school board meets, or in the case of Head Football Coaches every Friday night.

If Athens was not going to renew his contract, I applaud them for letting him know at the end of the season.

Usta be the way it was ... now not so much ... a few administrators are inherently vindictive - they wait until the last week of school to reassign someone after all the HC jobs are closed and filled ... but Karma will eventually arrive in the front office to even things out.

loy.jpg

33 minutes ago, DOB said:

The big question floating around now ET circles now is - Which one, Athens or Center, is potentially a better job.

Athens has to be the better job with the AD title attached, you get to run the show and have control over how the Athletic Department is run.

Center probably has more upside with the chance to make a run, but jasper is still in the same District and you match up with the Silsbee/WOS District in the playoffs. And, you will be controlled by an AD that possibly has an agenda that is counter to your own.