Essary leaving Athens

Sandman

On 12/8/2018 at 8:46 AM, betweentheposts said:

Yes, he got the program going in the right direction but then stalled out several years ago. Its just the way life is in today's world, everyone expects more out of you. What is the reason they are releasing him? That is the question you have to ask. Why? Making the playoffs in a 6 team district, 4 teams go, isn't enough to make the powers of above always happy. Of course there is places in ET that not winning is good enough, like Palestine and Robert E. Lee, but its obvious Athens wants more.

I have studied politics,so I have read some dumb coherent thoughts in my life, but after reading your post ,on this thread, I have read the dumbest words ever written since Des Kapital by Karl Marx. 

Seriosly you are one of the dumbest posters on Smokey. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. 

If telling the truth is so dumb then so be it. Making the playoffs isn't that big of deal anymore.  You need to win playoffs games and I am just guessing Athens wants more then just make the playoffs.  Wasn't it not too long ago Athens went 10-0 in regular season and then lost in the first round? Are you upset that other programs, like Palestine and REL, are happy with losing records? By the way I didn't know I was trying to win points for my comments. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, betweentheposts said:

If telling the truth is so dumb then so be it. Making the playoffs isn't that big of deal anymore.  You need to win playoffs games and I am just guessing Athens wants more then just make the playoffs.  Wasn't it not too long ago Athens went 10-0 in regular season and then lost in the first round? Are you upset that other programs, like Palestine and REL, are happy with losing records? By the way I didn't know I was trying to win points for my comments. 

I TOTALLY agree!! In a 6 team District terrible, terrible teams get in sometimes.... Going means very little if you are 1 and done. If you don't understand that then you clearly don't mind being average JVCOACH

• Like 1

Half the teams in the playoffs are one-and-done … that's inherent in a single elimination format.  Many were fourth place teams … some were first place teams … even one was an undefeated team. Do you think they planned it that way? Funny thing about the bracket – for half the teams each week, winning is temporary. No person with a competitive bone in their body wants to be on the losing side – but sometimes we forget: there's a big difference between being a loser and just being on the losing side.

One thing about playing is that somebody will win and somebody will lose. Does that mean that the one who lost shouldn't have ever tried to even play? Was it their goal to lose? Was the only reason that kids that play the game play it so they can get to be state champions? It may a goal, but is that the only thing on their mind in August when they put sweat on their brow?

Should those who are eliminated from even a post-season possibility during the regular season just go ahead and put away their gear at that point? Is that all there is to this sport? Kids may have a bracket in their goals, but that's not the reason the game is included in the educational system in the first place?

Many people judge winning on Lombardi's “Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing” quote. But they should never stop there – he was way bigger than that. If you read ALL his quotes, one will find a man much more complex in view about what's important in life.

Roughly 99% of those playing will never go on to play at the next level. For many of that 99 may have had that as a goal. At the point they began to realize that probably wasn't the case, should they have quit and gone home.

Nobody has the goal of just being average, but the average person in the world is, well, average. Does that mean they're mediocre? I doubt most people just set out to be average, but the Bell Curve is working against them. Should they, upon their realization of that fact, end it all tomorrow?

Winning is a good thing. Success is even better. There's a difference. How much is winning worth? More than success? Which one is fleeting? Which one stays with you the longest? Twenty years from now which one matters more. There will always be one winner – but there will always be more who are considered successful. Regardless of feelings, this game is bigger than any scoreboard.

Well, you know that average person talked about earlier, if they pay attention they will eventually figure out that the All-Star competition in Little League ain't for the kids, it's for the parents.

Don't get me wrong – winning is special … but putting the effort into winning is where the real lessons of life are learned - they're the ones that stay with us long after the lights are turned off on the big stage.

dream.jpg

• Like 1

There is always lots of discussion on some many teams making the playoffs and bad teams being able to make it because of small districts and 4 teams making it etc ... 

What about really good teams in a larger district not being able to make it because their district is full of really good highly ranked teams? Believe me I think this is the way it should be, just not a lot of discussion in this direction. 

Good point ...

Regardless of the number, it's still like it always has been.

Sometimes it's all about the luck of the draw.

Maybe less now than it was before, but it's still part of the equation.

It is a certainty that not all districts are created equally,

4 hours ago, DOB said:

Good point ...

Regardless of the number, it's still like it always has been.

Sometimes it's all about the luck of the draw.

Maybe less now than it was before, but it's still part of the equation.

It is a certainty that not all districts are created equally,

I totally agree with not all districts created equal. Our district is the perfect example we were the only playoff quality team in our district the other 3 that got in would not 1 district game in surrounding districts. Honestly we would we be battling for the 3rd/4th seed in surrounding districts. 

19 hours ago, betweentheposts said:

The truth is Athens is Athens and until that changes we will just have this same conversation in a 2-3 years.  Remember Don’t kill the goose to get to the eggs.

I totally agree with not all districts being the same and all the 4 teams and all that good stuff. Bottom line is if your team makes the playoffs 7/10 times, which is good for most programs but you NEVER make it to the 2nd round or beyond every true FOOTBALL fan would not be satisfied. If they were this wouldn't be TEXAS HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL....it would be Montana Highschool Football. Can I get an Amen? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RAB4LIFE said:

I totally agree with not all districts being the same and all the 4 teams and all that good stuff. Bottom line is if your team makes the playoffs 7/10 times, which is good for most programs but you NEVER make it to the 2nd round or beyond every true FOOTBALL fan would not be satisfied. If they were this wouldn't be TEXAS HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL....it would be Montana Highschool Football. Can I get an Amen? 

In the old days, that's what the off-season is for ... self-reflection, self-analysis, self-evaluation - brainstorm, make a plan, develop a plan, and put it into action ... all designed to get your bunch to the next level.  Some times they worked ... sometimes they didn't ... but I hated the thought of standing on the same ground and be satisfied with that ... Physics 101: things at rest tend to stay at rest - things in motion tend to stay in motion.  Your job as a teacher is to get kids to be the best they can be with the God-given skills they bring with them - should they expect less of you?   In reality, there's an old saying that says that no matter how hard you train a jackass, he'll never win the Kentucky Derby ... maybe so, but he'll get better at what he's trying to accomplish ... and he'll definitely be able to outrun the other jackasses who's trainer decided to do nothing because because the Kentucky Derby wasn't an obtainable goal.  When going up a flight of stairs, it's best to remember the purpose of its design and function - it was designed to be used one step at a time.  You can walk around the world even if you take babysteps ... heck, you can even walk around the world taking two steps forward and one step back if you do it repeatedly.  What you'll never do is walk around the world without taking that first step.  Can everybody get their bunch to the next level?  Don't know, but it's the journey that teaches youngsters what they need in later life.  And that's why they call us Teachers - and there is no substitute for effort.

ins.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RAB4LIFE said:

It depends on what you are working with. For some places that is probably the ceiling of what you can realistically achieve there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DOB said:

In the old days, that's what the off-season is for ... self-reflection, self-analysis, self-evaluation - brainstorm, make a plan, develop a plan, and put it into action ... all designed to get your bunch to the next level.  Some times they worked ... sometimes they didn't ... but I hated the thought of standing on the same ground and be satisfied with that ... Physics 101: things at rest tend to stay at rest - things in motion tend to stay in motion.  Your job as a teacher is to get kids to be the best they can be with the God-given skills they bring with them - should they expect less of you?   In reality, there's an old saying that says that no matter how hard you train a jackass, he'll never win the Kentucky Derby ... maybe so, but he'll get better at what he's trying to accomplish ... and he'll definitely be able to outrun the other jackasses who's trainer decided to do nothing because because the Kentucky Derby wasn't an obtainable goal.  When going up a flight of stairs, it's best to remember the purpose of its design and function - it was designed to be used one step at a time.  You can walk around the world even if you take babysteps ... heck, you can even walk around the world taking two steps forward and one step back if you do it repeatedly.  What you'll never do is walk around the world without taking that first step.  Can everybody get their bunch to the next level?  Don't know, but it's the journey that teaches youngsters what they need in later life.  And that's why they call us Teachers - and there is no substitute for effort.

Very well said sir, it is the work that you put in that matters. 

Ultimately, how can you blame an Administration for wanting better?

It's mot like this is what they are dealing with in Athens.

https://www.wafb.com/2018/12/15/trosclair-out-head-coach-ascension-catholic-high-school-after-feud-with-administration/

• Like 1

Some people make changes with class ... others with no class don't worry about how they do it.

It's like I think you said previously - at least they let him know the plan early enough to a find a another job if that's what he wants.

I know one recent personal case where the sup did it in virtually the last week of school and it came out of the blue - with no real indication that there was a serious problem ... that's when "Sometimes you have to walk away and let karma take over"

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

It depends on what you are working with. For some places that is probably the ceiling of what you can realistically achieve there.

When you're dealing with people, there's always a ceiling ... talent + work ethic generally finds a peak at some point.

What you have to be careful of is that you don't self-impose the level of that ceiling ....

there are always speed bumps on the highway through life - just make sure you're not the one helping to build them.

6 minutes ago, DOB said:

When you're dealing with people, there's always a ceiling ... talent + work ethic generally finds a peak at some point.

What you have to be careful of is that you don't self-impose the level of that ceiling ....

there are always speed bumps on the highway through life - just make sure you're not the one helping to build them.

I tend to agree with you, but I think you have to include philosophy in the equation to determine the true ceiling.

Talent+Work Ethic+Philosophy

If you are limited in your thinking then you are probably going to be limited in what you can achieve. 

Yes ... and the purpose of the post ... don't self-impose your restrictions on others ... don't limit others based on your perceived shortcomings ... most of the time life is not a sprint, it's a marathon ... and plowhorses can't defeat race horses on a short track ... but they do plod along for the long haul and eventually leave the race horse behind and in the dust.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:56 AM, DOB said:

Combine simplicity with flexibility – confuse their kids not yours.

Pay attention to detail – it's always all about the details.

Demand that your best players also be your best people.

agreed with these as top three