Essary leaving Athens

Sandman

I would think that 4 day week does not change a coach's work week during their season. In fact it might bring more complications with getting athletes to school on friday for workouts and games. Also adding 50 minutes to the school day like they are doing will make practices end way later than usual. I see the positives and negatives of this decision and hope it works out. If I were just a teacher then I would be ecstatic about a 4 day week. 

58 minutes ago, TexWes said:

I would think that 4 day week does not change a coach's work week during their season. In fact it might bring more complications with getting athletes to school on friday for workouts and games. Also adding 50 minutes to the school day like they are doing will make practices end way later than usual. I see the positives and negatives of this decision and hope it works out. If I were just a teacher then I would be ecstatic about a 4 day week. 

I had those thoughts, too ... plus the fact that school will start almost at the same time as the First Official Day for Workouts.  All of these will certainly change the "normal routine" and those followed by other schools.

It’s been pretty quiet on this one.

From what I’ve read, The 4 day week is also modified block schedule, 6 periods with 3 of the classes alternating. I have no idea how that works but would assume that athletics would be scheduled every day.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:25 PM, TexWes said:

It’s been pretty quiet on this one.

From what I’ve read, The 4 day week is also modified block schedule, 6 periods with 3 of the classes alternating. I have no idea how that works but would assume that athletics would be scheduled every day.

Modified block is not uncommon ... however, I would be surprised if it was six periods only (3 and 3).  Most people found that it's hard to get all the requirements in - especially with increased science and math requirements ... with only six, I can't see Athletics everyday (it's possible, but more logistically complicated to lay out) ... who knows, maybe they plan on eliminating the Athletic Period entirely (or have it every other day) - been tried in places before (not popular, but tried).  But I still don't see SIX - with the "extended day" time structure, these classes (if only 3 per) would be two-and-a-half to three hours long - maybe they would HAVE to be that long since TEA has moved to counting minutes.

I would be surprised if that was the case.  But with administrators, you never know.  Ask Frankston.  In today's world, having a few extra letters you can add after your name trumps having common sense.

Addendum:  After spending some time looking around, two things struck me:

1.) The district has apparently not "published" what the schedule will really look like.

2.) There is not much research out there on this subject, especially to make the statement that it was done to hire and retain the best teachers.

Apparently they haven't spent much time teaching at the lower grades ... attention span research, though also somewhat varied, may come in conflict with goals stated by the Sup.  There have been a few districts in the US to do it - but most did it as a cost cutting measure (and districts were generally much smaller than Athens).

Change can be good - as long as the change was done for a specified purpose based on certified data and research - and not change just for the sake of change.

Regardless, I suspect that a lot of districts will be looking at their results - especially on their state exam side.

Good luck and God bless the Elementary teachers when four o'clock or so rolls around.

If AISD is run like most other districts, they are already getting the chart ready.

chart.jpg

21 hours ago, TexWes said:

DOB, like I said, I have no idea how the modified block schedule works. And to be fair I got my information off a friends Facebook post so the accuracy might be suspect. 

There are so many versions now of the block/modified block schedule that it would be difficult to even hazard a guess at what they might do. They are two different species, but people sometimes use nomenclature that indicate that they are one and the same – they are not. Regardless, research – especially Texas-based – has not been kind to the true Block concept – and there has definitely not been enough to show that standardized test scores benefit.

One of the things that teachers don't like about is that they can lose their conference period every other day.  Another issue is that some people who use the Modified go to a Quarter System, which causes serious problems for any student moving in from another district that is NOT on the same system.

There is one thing for sure - there are a lot of districts out there watching to see how well the 4-day system in AISD works

There's an old, old saying that goes something like this:

BOTH  FISH AND VISITORS USUALLY SMELL AFTER THREE DAYS.

The quality of a Head Coach can be usually determined by the end of their third season ...

If  they're still not pleasing to the sight by then ... then they probably never will be a good fit

where they are.  It doesn't mean that they're NOT a good coach, it just means that

they may not be a good coach for this situation, place, and time.

packed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing they have made a hire since they posted positions for OC and DC this morning. Or maybe every candidate made it clear that they intended on bringing their own guys in at those positions.

I know one guy that interviewed but do not know if he got the job yet.

21 minutes ago, TexWes said:

I'm guessing they have made a hire since they posted positions for OC and DC this morning. Or maybe every candidate made it clear that they intended on bringing their own guys in at those positions.

I know one guy that interviewed but do not know if he got the job yet.

That is strange to post that before an offical hire is announced