Player Transfers/Going Pro

Stoney

"Typically, coaches will restrict your transfer to the same conference, or to a non-conference school that your current school regularly plays. This means that you will likely have to transfer to a school outside of the region you currently play in, or to a lower division level."

this is off the national scholarship info page...from 2012...but what they're still going by

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Why is OU blocking Kendall from Big12 schools and future opponents? 

Probably don't want the QB who has been in Riley's offense from day 1 to go to a team they have to play.

Kendall can still transfer there, but they are forcing him to sit out a year instead of being eligible immediately.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Why is OU blocking Kendall from Big12 schools and future opponents? 

I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I would argue that it has more to do with setting a precedent than it is about Austin Kendall himself. 

Kendall was a scholarship player (unlike Baker was for Tech), and he's transferring to a conference opponent. While I, myself, have no problem with him 1.) leaving the program, or 2.) going to WVa, I do see how not contesting this could blow up in our face in the future. 

Yes, I totally see the bad optics of it, but I understand the logic of following it as protocol. 

Just a fan...from one coach, now that's funny. I would always simply tell my team, "we are trying to get better constantly...in that, because we are constantly putting pressure on our competition to get better and recruit better...we have to recruit better and better players right from the start and my players have to work hard and harder to maintain their positions."

this would be pretty much word for word and my team captains could just about quote it...

The only reason to block a kid from playing immediately is because you're upset that he's leaving. He's going to play eventually anyway, so what difference does it otherwise make? Meanwhile, I'm sure OU will have no problem allowing Hurts to play for them immediately.

And before you say anything about the situation being different, it's the principal. Put your pride aside and let the kid play. 

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, AKA said:

Go on...  

I think he’s a good athlete but being in an offense that focused more on a run game setting up the passing game it helped him out.  He’ll be more of the trigger, or hinge piece, in Riley’s Offense.  I don’t think he’s a great qb (yes good) he just benefitted from having an OL and stabled of backs that the offense went through.  To me he wasn’t very accurate which is the biggest reason Tua won the job.  Just my thoughts

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think he’s a good athlete but being in an offense that focused more on a run game setting up the passing game it helped him out.  He’ll be more of the trigger, or hinge piece, in Riley’s Offense.  I don’t think he’s a great qb (yes good) he just benefitted from having an OL and stabled of backs that the offense went through.  To me he wasn’t very accurate which is the biggest reason Tua won the job.  Just my thoughts

I can see this happening too. If he can quickly learn the system then Oklahoma may be tough to beat. 

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

OU's offense with Kyler was functionally different than with Baker. Granted, the results were much the same, but I expect Riley will craft the system around Hurts strengths and minimize his weaknesses...  much as he did with his two previous quarterbacks. 

What does that look like? Well, I'm not Riley, but I would concede there will be less of an emphasis on the downfield passing game, more designed QB sweeps following FBs and TEs, and play-action rollouts to short and intermediary routes. 

14 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Disagree, he isn’t near the athlete Murray was/is

Yeah, I wouldn't say Hurts is an upgrade or a downgrade. They're two completely different type of athletes. Different style of QBs. 

It remains to be seen where he ranks in comparison to his predecessors.

The upshot is that it takes a position that was a question mark, and makes it an exclamation point.