The Smoakhouse Forums
Stoney

Player Transfers/Going Pro

@CoachPelvisPresley I could have sworn I seen something on the internets about the NCAA’s newer, more lenient take on player transfers. There’s a horrible double standard here. QBs can transfer and get immediate eligibility because of a case of Martellhurt, but a no name lineman or backup TE can’t? That’s total Martell. All players are equal to the NCAA, it’s just that some players are a little more equal. Let the kids be able to transfer and be eligible wherever they wind up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

As Texas waited to see how all these waivers fell out and then files McCoy's waiver...and they were all being allowed through until probably the most worthy waiver request is denied, then McCoy's probably the second most (with a coach/school hiding the negotiation of the coach's hiring to the pro's until the day after national signing day to hold recruits that would have bolted)...I am concerned for Texas that his will be denied as well. I have this feeling that people have fussed and so that as a screen to not ok everyone and then X his, they X this one and then they will X McCoy's real soon too. Hoffman will appeal it and be re-approved but McCoy will still be denied. I just have this feeling. Hope I'm wrong though.

I think McCoy has a more legitimate reason for a waiver than Fields and Martell. I feel bad for that kid though, that's just not fair.

I know @Stoney and @ETXfan16 that's why these stories over the last week worry me for Texas. I suspect something bad coming down the pike for McCoy's request and then there will be a total meltdown based on all these other yahoos getting their waivers approved. 

• Like 2

I was kind of surprised to see McCoy play in the Orange/White Game...guessing it was cleared through the Compliance Office, I mean our compliance person was all over us paper whipping me on every kid I had before they could even take part in a live practice, so that's what the whole waiver thing for me has been a weird thing... 

Now there at a big school...a couple of asst and the football operations guy are probably handling it all.

46 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I know @Stoney and @ETXfan16 that's why these stories over the last week worry me for Texas. I suspect something bad coming down the pike for McCoy's request and then there will be a total meltdown based on all these other yahoos getting their waivers approved. 

I’d want UT to riot, storm the NCAA headquarters and burn it down. Give me absolute chaos over the NCAA.

• Like 2

4310B7D3-733A-48FA-AF8D-761098DA1064.jpeg

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-illinois-luke-ford-ncaa-transfer-appeal-20190607-story.html

Can we just call the NCAA Transfer Portal what it really is, QB free agency? You have non skill position players being denied waivers due to mileage, familial bonds not being close enough or health situations not being dire enough but Justin Fields can transfer over 500 miles from Georgia to Ohio State and be granted immediate eligibility? Bull!! The players, the coaches, the schools need to wise up and say to hell with the NCAA. 

25 minutes ago, Stoney said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-illinois-luke-ford-ncaa-transfer-appeal-20190607-story.html

Can we just call the NCAA Transfer Portal what it really is, QB free agency? You have non skill position players being denied waivers due to mileage, familial bonds not being close enough or health situations not being dire enough but Justin Fields can transfer over 500 miles from Georgia to Ohio State and be granted immediate eligibility? Bull!! The players, the coaches, the schools need to wise up and say to hell with the NCAA. 

Exactly. This transfer portal only applies to QBs and anyone trying to transfer to Texas. 😂

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 6/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, Stoney said:

NCAA is garbage. This is crazy. 

• Like 1

SG Quentin Grimes is transferring from KU to UofH, will apply for a waiver to play immediately. 

I think he's the 3rd Jayhawk off last year's basketball team to transfer out, something is up. 

11 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

SG Quentin Grimes is transferring from KU to UofH, will apply for a waiver to play immediately. 

I think he's the 3rd Jayhawk off last year's basketball team to transfer out, something is up. 

I think the NCAA hammer gets dropped there...Too much smoke in Lawrence between Adidas and some other player issues they have dealt with the past few years...

• Like 1

Martell’s transfer went Martell up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Good news for the Blinn Buccaneers. Tathan should be able to win the starting job there. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

This is what can happen when you play QB at a place like Bishop Gorman or IG Academy. Everyone around you is gifted which can make the QB appear to better than he really is. Tate gets in some real competition and it's just too fast for him. He would have probably been better off sticking with A&M. I don't know if he would have been better than Monds, but I think he would have gotten all the chances he needed to be the starting QB.

28 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

This is what can happen when you play QB at a place like Bishop Gorman or IG Academy. Everyone around you is gifted which can make the QB appear to better than he really is. Tate gets in some real competition and it's just too fast for him. He would have probably been better off sticking with A&M. I don't know if he would have been better than Monds, but I think he would have gotten all the chances he needed to be the starting QB.

I’m glad Martell did not make it to A&M. There was something about that kid during his recruitment that didn’t sit right me with me. He was too gung ho to the point that he came off as fake. Apparently now, that wasn’t an act. Martell’s attitude is Martell. He thinks his Martell doesn’t stink and that’s not gonna fly in college. High school? Oh yeah. Somebody start the counter for his transfer portal announcement part deux.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

Heading to East Mississippi JUCO? Heard last chance U was filming at some JUCO in California maybe he'll head out west?

37 minutes ago, txk85 said:

Heading to East Mississippi JUCO? Heard last chance U was filming at some JUCO in California maybe he'll head out west?

I could see this...

40 minutes ago, txk85 said:

Dude likes the tv camera.

13 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Dude likes the tv camera.

Dude was/is a spoiled punk. Doesn't work that way in college.

6 hours ago, Stoney said:

I’m glad Martell did not make it to A&M. There was something about that kid during his recruitment that didn’t sit right me with me. He was too gung ho to the point that he came off as fake. Apparently now, that wasn’t an act. Martell’s attitude is Martell. He thinks his Martell doesn’t stink and that’s not gonna fly in college. High school? Oh yeah. Somebody start the counter for his transfer portal announcement part deux.

I blame the dad. 

Btw: Tathan wasn't at practice today….. Hmmmm

Go watch "QB1 Beyond the Lights" 1st season on Netflix. Features Martell and Jake Fromm during their senior year of high school. You see a lot of issues with Martell. 

Season 2 has Justin Fields. It's a good little tv show. Season 3 comes out this week

On 6/8/2019 at 9:03 PM, WETSU said:

Exactly. This transfer portal only applies to QBs and anyone trying to transfer to Texas. 😂

I'm guessing you meant transfer from Texas...

Tathan Martell is going to try to become a slot reciever. I’m not sure how Martell Miami’s recievers are. Probably not Martell enough for him to make the first or second team. Martell let his alligator Martell overload his chicken legs or he could have been at worse Ohio States QB2.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stoney said:

Tathan Martell is going to try to become a slot reciever. I’m not sure how Martell Miami’s recievers are. Probably not Martell enough for him to make the first or second team. Martell let his alligator Martell overload his chicken legs or he could have been at worse Ohio States QB2.

Lol, we need to get one of the site admins to change "TobinFrost" to "Tathan Martell."  :D 

Report: Auburn QB Joey Gatewood has left the team https://t.co/eJEBfNPjXc

I wish that kid all the best of luck, Malzahn wants to live or die by Nix, i hope it backfires on him. 

Just now, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Report: Auburn QB Joey Gatewood has left the team https://t.co/eJEBfNPjXc

Pssst, hey kid, wanna win a Heisman? 

Lol, sorry, I had to.  :D 

• Haha 1