Winners and Losers of 2017-18 Coaching Changes

mrclean69

With the season wrapping up and coaching vacancies already hitting the boards it got me wondering. What schools  from the last coaching  carousel made the right choices? Who gave up on a coach too early and took a step back? Who's headed in the right direction? 

The Cooper Bulldogs are somewhere in middle. We still didn't win a playoff game which was the reason for the change. Offensively we have gotten more explosive and scored more points then we have in a few years. But man the defense against good teams look just terrible, definitely went backwards in that regard this year.

4 hours ago, DKBear123 said:

DeKalb ran off a guy that went to the 2nd round at James Bowie. We didn't have a JV and won 4 games (2 against winless teams and 1 against a 1 win team). 

In your opinion was this the coaching change or a down team. I mean yall had a dang stud taking on almost the entire load if I remember correct.  

I would say there are several schools that took a turn for the worse with new people in charge. I can think of a couple that not only decreased their win total but had a lot fewer kids out this year. Sometimes admin just can’t help themselves but to mess up something that is headed in the right direction. 

On 11/28/2018 at 6:01 PM, WowohWow said:

I don’t necessarily count wins and loses as a judge of a success either. I look at turnout and enthusiasm around the program. Some of these places took a nosedive in those categories. 

That's what I try to look at too. I'm thinking Queen City made a bad choice. Lost more games against worst teams, but more than anything they lost kids. Kids clearly had no motivation to play. However, I've lived around here my entire life and hadn't seen much upside from anybody. 

4 hours ago, QCATL1984 said:

That's what I try to look at too. I'm thinking Queen City made a bad choice. Lost more games against worst teams, but more than anything they lost kids. Kids clearly had no motivation to play. However, I've lived around here my entire life and hadn't seen much upside from anybody. 

I'm hearing rumors that they may be losing some more kids.  Some places can't help themselves.  

On 11/28/2018 at 11:00 AM, DKBear123 said:

DeKalb ran off a guy that went to the 2nd round at James Bowie. We didn't have a JV and won 4 games (2 against winless teams and 1 against a 1 win team). 

DeKalb played in a tough district. It's hard to blame the coaches when you have low numbers. James Bowie is in a smaller division, and faced easier competition.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, QCATL1984 said:

Ive heard this from many people. However, I have also heard he doesn't like it anymore than they like him.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:29 AM, QCATL1984 said:

I stopped by the Queen City DQueen. and there was a lady there that definitely had an upside. She had nothing but good things to say about QueenC. The guy with me said her frontside was her upside. But I thought it was the positive things she said about Queen City. She said they always had an outstanding Band and even a State Championship Marching Band in 11-12. She remembered the 89 season they went several deep in football. and had been good in baseball.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

DeKalb played in a tough district. It's hard to blame the coaches when you have low numbers. James Bowie is in a smaller division, and faced easier competition.

It's tough to say they didn't meet expectations. Looking at their schedule the only bad loss is ND who  came back to Earth after last year. The real question is are they keeping kids interested and building. 

Also out of that district I'd have to say PP was a winner in coaching change and I've heard they may be 2A by next realignment. Could be very competitive. 

3 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

It's tough to say they didn't meet expectations. Looking at their schedule the only bad loss is ND who  came back to Earth after last year. The real question is are they keeping kids interested and building. 

Also out of that district I'd have to say PP was a winner in coaching change and I've heard they may be 2A by next realignment. Could be very competitive. 

People think when you drop down to 2A your team will just start winning. Ask Garrison how that turned out!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

13 minutes ago, SAWolfman said:

People think when you drop down to 2A your team will just start winning. Ask Garrison how that turned out!

I will say in PP case i think they would be a dominant faction in this area in 2A. Just my opinion they are solid 3A team right now in a tough district.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SAWolfman said:

And Garrison would say they won 10 games and went to the third round... probably not the best example. "Could be more competitive" does not mean win state. I think any team that drops will, in any classification, be more competitive. PP was right in the middle of a tight playoff race in a good district, while playing with 2A depth. 

3 hours ago, SAWolfman said:

Real funny,  you sure do talk a bunch of ####,  10 wins is a successful season, 3 rounds deep last year in 3A div 2 and 3 rounds deep this year and district champs in the toughest district in the state.   It’s all good,  but you could give some respect.  Instead you continue to have Garrison on your mind.   Deep down you know you very lucky man.  Y’all got us when it counted!  Stop thinking about Garrison bro, start thinking about Mason or Refugio after y’all beat 10-a-haw!  Your should have been Harleton or Beckville someone that didn’t make the playoffs after dropping down. 

12 minutes ago, DawgPound73 said:

Real funny,  you sure do talk a bunch of ####,  10 wins is a successful season, 3 rounds deep last year in 3A div 2 and 3 rounds deep this year and district champs in the toughest district in the state.   It’s all good,  but you could give some respect.  Instead you continue to have Garrison on your mind.   Deep down you know you very lucky man.  Y’all got us when it counted!  Stop thinking about Garrison bro, start thinking about Mason or Refugio after y’all beat 10-a-haw!  Your should have been Harleton or Beckville someone that didn’t make the playoffs after dropping down. 

After all of the #### yall talked last week you deserve it. But you are right...yall had a good enough season to make your heads swell.