Union Grove

Strike51

Union Grove ISD has a new Athletic Director and Head Football Coach after Union Grove defensive coordinator Scotty Laymance was promoted Friday night by the UGISD School Board.
The board met in special session and voted to give Laymance a five-year contract. Laymance succeeds coach Roger Adams, who chose to retire.
Read more about Laymance in next week's Gladewater Mirror.

25 minutes ago, Ronster23 said:

Union Grove ISD has a new Athletic Director and Head Football Coach after Union Grove defensive coordinator Scotty Laymance was promoted Friday night by the UGISD School Board.
The board met in special session and voted to give Laymance a five-year contract. Laymance succeeds coach Roger Adams, who chose to retire.
Read more about Laymance in next week's Gladewater Mirror.

No surprise there.

I would have been shocked if the job was given to anybody else.

3 hours ago, DOB said:

WOW ... Five year contract is a bit unusual, especially for a small school ... must think they REALLY have their guy (or he wouldn't take it for less)

He was always the guy. 

They might as well have named him the AD the day that Adams announced he was resigning to retire.

18 hours ago, DOB said:

WOW ... Five year contract is a bit unusual, especially for a small school ... must think they REALLY have their guy (or he wouldn't take it for less)

The Gladewater paper had a mistake in the original announcement. It has been updated. The contract is a 5 MONTH contract (this will be for the reminder of this school year). The contract  will be renewed this summer 

53 minutes ago, TheGrove said:

The Gladewater paper had a mistake in the original announcement. It has been updated. The contract is a 5 MONTH contract (this will be for the reminder of this school year). The contract  will be renewed this summer 

That makes a lot more sense. 

On 1/19/2019 at 8:30 AM, DOB said:

There is no greater compliment than that.  Good men make better men.

gray.jpg

DOB, 28 years of coaching and I see no end in sight. This quote is so very true. The kids I have coached are very special to me. I've been blessed to have a handful of rings but when it is all said and done the thing that makes me the proudest is having an ex player tell me about his career or introduce me to his family. They all still call me Coach and it makes me happy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TexWes said:

DOB, 28 years of coaching and I see no end in sight. This quote is so very true. The kids I have coached are very special to me. I've been blessed to have a handful of rings but when it is all said and done the thing that makes me the proudest is having an ex player tell me about his career or introduce me to his family. They all still call me Coach and it makes me happy.

My prayer is that you stay with it as long as your heart and soul can take it ... the reality is that there's always one more kid out there that needs someone to guide them on the path to manhood.

stay.jpg

19 hours ago, TheGrove said:

That seems more in line with accepted practices for school boards in today's world.

Ain't my first rodeo ... hopefully won't be the last.  Young men know the rules - old men know the exceptions.

And always be wary of an old man in a profession where people usual wear out and retire early.

lol.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TexWes said:

And always beware of the pitfalls ... 

wear.jpg