Malakoff (10-2) vs. Atlanta (8-5) Class 3A (D-I) Quarterfinals

H3llR4z0r

Atlanta Rabbits vs Malakoff Tigers  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who moves on to the Semi-Finals to face Brock/Shallowater?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2018 at 01:30 AM

1 minute ago, Dawg665 said:

I totally agree! Whether Gladewater or Jefferson, I believe the Malakoff coaching staff and execution takes you out of your game plan. You either have a plan B, which from experience Jefferson does not, or pack it all in for next year. The only other option is to trade coaching staffs at halftime and I’m not sure Malakoff will do that. 

Haha, no I think not. Sure would be interesting to see a game played that way. 🤔 Interesting concept! 

*Disclaimer- I love our coaches and wouldn't trade them. 

48 minutes ago, Dawg665 said:

Razor I know you didn’t ask about the Jefferson/Malakoff game but I can give you some insight. Although I was not at the GW/Malakoff game, I too heard some of the same things said that you mentioned.

Malakoff has 2 HUGE issues, not for them but their opponents, very good defense that is underrated and deceptive and secondly VERY good coaching! For Jefferson it’s the 2nd round and it was time for us to exit. But Malakoff had a great game plan and the execution was spot on. We had the mindset “well we’ve got better athletes so why do we need to plan, we’ve done it all season so it’ll just work” mentality. We had the same game plan for them as we did when we played y’all. Just line up and turn the athletes loose. That does not work with Malakoff. To beat them you’ve got to control the los and control the pace of the game. You’ve got to speed the game up. Off tackle is where they are most vulnerable but they can run with the best of them for sure. 

If yalls coaches can put a game plan together that will put Malakoffs defense on their heels, can force them into long 3rd down situations, can speed the game up to yalls pace and keep them off balance y’all should be fine. You cannot go in with the same mindset and win. They play fearless and don’t mind taking risks because their defense is good enough to make up for it.  To sum it all up...they’re very well coached and execute to perfection. Good luck Rabbs!

I like any input I can get, and it's no offense to y'all, I just felt like Gladewater would have made it to the qtr-finals anyways, and not necessarily because they had more athletes than Jefferson or Malakoff, but just how they control the clock and play football. They just grind you down, especially if you get down to them early, which I felt matched up really well against Jefferson, as it does us. 

I honestly think we had the same game-plan as you guys had for us, and we weren't prepared for a team that could match or even have more talent. I don't know that though. We looked flat from the time we stepped off the bus, and Jefferson had been ready for a week. That's all I kept hearing from people in Jefferson, was how much the town was talking about that game.

When that score got to 28-7 against Jefferson, you could have stuck a fork in us. They just quit, for whatever reason. If they had done that the first week of the playoffs, we wouldn't be here now. Just one sign that these kids have at least a little different mind set than they had before. We said that the Jefferson loss would either pound them into submission, or wake them up, and I believe it did the latter. 

We definitely have to start like we did against Jasper last year. Jasper was a massive, physical, and fast team. We started that game playing lights out, then got shut out in the 2nd half. We have to start and finish like that though. Drive down the field and score. That's the only way we get Malakoff's defense on their heals. Everyone must execute. We can't afford early turnovers this week. We have to fight for 4 quarters. 

I'm pumped... can you tell?

Great comments and respect from many of you. And likewise here. To the comments concerning adjustments. Our staff is absolutely one of the best at making halftime adjustments. A perfect example would be last week vs Gladewater. Whatever the game plan was the 1st half was not getting the desired effect. As a matter of fact the stats were in GW’s favor. Made the change at halftime and had success. Our offense is very good. But it’s our defense that, as of right now, is playing with an intensity that I’ve never seen before. They will be the key to our success. If we can limit the big plays and not let Atlanta’s quick backs get open in space I think we will be ok. To Atlanta, Gladewater and Jefferson you guys have great programs and I look forward to playing y’all again. To the fans y’all have been great too. Well with the exception of Rab4Life. Lol. Good luck to everyone I have mentioned, safe travels and try to stay dry and warm this weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

5 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I like any input I can get, and it's no offense to y'all, I just felt like Gladewater would have made it to the qtr-finals anyways, and not necessarily because they had more athletes than Jefferson or Malakoff, but just how they control the clock and play football. They just grind you down, especially if you get down to them early, which I felt matched up really well against Jefferson, as it does us. 

I honestly think we had the same game-plan as you guys had for us, and we weren't prepared for a team that could match or even have more talent. I don't know that though. We looked flat from the time we stepped off the bus, and Jefferson had been ready for a week. That's all I kept hearing from people in Jefferson, was how much the town was talking about that game.

When that score got to 28-7 against Jefferson, you could have stuck a fork in us. They just quit, for whatever reason. If they had done that the first week of the playoffs, we wouldn't be here now. Just one sign that these kids have at least a little different mind set than they had before. We said that the Jefferson loss would either pound them into submission, or wake them up, and I believe it did the latter. 

We definitely have to start like we did against Jasper last year. Jasper was a massive, physical, and fast team. We started that game playing lights out, then got shut out in the 2nd half. We have to start and finish like that though. Drive down the field and score. That's the only way we get Malakoff's defense on their heals. Everyone must execute. We can't afford early turnovers this week. We have to fight for 4 quarters. 

I'm pumped... can you tell?

All the losses we have taken this year has helped us get to where we are at. We’ve seen it all this year so it’s pretty hard to surprise us. The Jefferson showed us that if we make mistakes against a good team you will get your butt handed to you. That’s the game that got our boys fired up. That’s what brought our intensity if continue that we alright. I’m proud of our boys and what they’ve accomplished this season.

1 hour ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

All the losses we have taken this year has helped us get to where we are at. We’ve seen it all this year so it’s pretty hard to surprise us. The Jefferson showed us that if we make mistakes against a good team you will get your butt handed to you. That’s the game that got our boys fired up. That’s what brought our intensity if continue that we alright. I’m proud of our boys and what they’ve accomplished this season.

Heck I remember one year several years back u guys (Atlanta) lost all your non district games against tough opponents and then won district and eventually won the State Championship!

4 minutes ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

Yea 2003 pretty sure we won 11 straight after a 0-4 start

4 minutes ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

Yea 2003 pretty sure we won 11 straight after a 0-4 start

I just remember watching y’all one game in the playoffs and y’all had a Big Running Back That was a Man Amongst Boys! Earl Campbell Like!

21 minutes ago, FigNewton98 said:

I just remember watching y’all one game in the playoffs and y’all had a Big Running Back That was a Man Amongst Boys! Earl Campbell Like!

We had 2-3 220 pound RBs lol Curtis Burns was my favorite to watch because he literally did everything! In one game he punted the ball twice and scored on both of them! Who does that?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

Dallas Washington was also insane. Just Big strong fast men. Dallas played for Arkansas and had a video on Kickoff that he took out the blocker and ball carrier and neither returned that game.

I think Dallas Washington was the Back I was remembering because when I heard his name I thought what a “Football Name.”

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FigNewton98 said:

We had several good backs, but our big nasty back was Curtis Burns #44. Punter, kicker, MLB, RB. Only player I've ever watched punt the ball, force a fumble, and scoop it to score. 

44burns.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, toohottohandle said:

Burns was a man out there.  I remember watching him play and he was a beast.  Whatever happened to Burns?

He's still around here. I'm not sure what he does in his daily life, but he pops up at Atlanta games every now and again. Still built like a brick house. 

Guest Tiger03lb

Game day! Hope everyone has a safe trip and that there's no injuries today. Try to stay warm and dry. Lol. It's been a pleasure talking with you guys this week, except for rabs4life. Smh. Good luck to both teams today!

31 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

We had several good backs, but our big nasty back was Curtis Burns #44. Punter, kicker, MLB, RB. Only player I've ever watched punt the ball, force a fumble, and scoop it to score. 

44burns.png

I remember that team. Saw y’all play Gilmer and Marlin. Both games were played in Tyler if I remember correctly