Harleton candidates

Destry

1 hour ago, spanky said:

I think you missed my point, a guy that's been a HC for 15 yrs and won 60 games is not successful. That averages out to a 4-6 record. 

And either an old guy that's going to be there a few yrs and retire or a young guy that's going to be there a few yrs then move up, both are not good for long term success.  The school will be hiring a new AD and probably new assistants every few yrs. Schools that do that don't have continued/long term success. 

Unfortunately, many administrators are more concerned with the logistical aspect of coaching as opposed to winning games. They just want somebody who has experience dealing with all of the details of being a head coach, they could really care less about the results. They want a football administrator, not concerned about the coaching part.

13 hours ago, justafan said:

They did contact Keeling. I know that for a fact. 2 of the board members told me. Keeling told them he couldn’t or wouldn’t come because he has kids in Waskom. He also said he wouldn’t come unless the job was AD/Head Football. He was there #1 choice. 

Being in on a job means you applied for it being contacted by a school to apply and telling them no thanks are 2 different things. 

10 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Heard there were a few of those places around, really sad situation.

I have no problem if a kid does not want to play a sport, if mom or dad is dictating which sport to play, then that is different. Parent trying to replay their career through their child, parent needs a good kick in the seat.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:57 AM, spanky said:

I think you missed my point, a guy that's been a HC for 15 yrs and won 60 games is not successful. That averages out to a 4-6 record. 

And either an old guy that's going to be there a few yrs and retire or a young guy that's going to be there a few yrs then move up, both are not good for long term success.  The school will be hiring a new AD and probably new assistants every few yrs. Schools that do that don't have continued/long term success. 

About 1 in 50 head coaches dream is to be at a small school and stay there for a bunch of years. Most want to move up in classification, whether it be for pride, money or both. Hard for a school like Harleton, Ore City, L-K, James Bowie,Union Grove, etc....to find that great head coach that wants to stay long term. And the coach might have intentions on staying when hired, but have success and get better opportunities and move on anyway. 

he doesnt have a losing record, has been at collegiate level as head coach twice, has championship rings, seems like a good deal for a smaller high school, has turned around a couple of programs that were in the same position that harleton is in now....but, just a thought

• Like 1

I know Sartain, he's a good guy so im not going to talk bad about him but simply state facts. And like Parcels said "you are what your record says you are"

16 yrs as a HC in high school.  71 wins. I'm not great at math but that averages out to 4 wins per yr. 3 playoff appearances with 1 win in 16 yrs. 

Coaching in college where you can recruit is very different than high school where you have to build with what you have. Still went 26-34 at ETBU with zero winning seasons in 6 yrs. 

• Stinks 1

I know that when he showed up at WO they had been 1-9 the previous year and in a couple of years they were consistently in the playoffs, and that’s when they were in a district with Peolpe like gilmer, gladewater, and Tatum. (And when they only took 2 teams to the playoffs) My opinion is that he would be a steal for a school like harleton. Your dead on about being a good man.. he is as high quality a person as any coach I have met. 

Mare there any other names floating around?

• Like 1

Part B which was a part of my original statement: he's up in the years. How long do you really think he'll be there? Is he just trying to get a few more years of AD salary to set up his retirement? 

All things considered for long term success, find a guy that WANTS to be in Harleton for an extended period of time. Consistency is a big deal for long term success. 

• Stinks 1

7 minutes ago, spanky said:

Part B which was a part of my original statement: he's up in the years. How long do you really think he'll be there? Is he just trying to get a few more years of AD salary to set up his retirement? 

All things considered for long term success, find a guy that WANTS to be in Harleton for an extended period of time. Consistency is a big deal for long term success. 

Agree. Any school is better off if someone wants to be there. Cousin said that was not the case in Harleton last year. Hard to believe.

3 hours ago, cotton84 said:

3 hours ago, cotton84 said:

About 1 in 50 head coaches dream is to be at a small school and stay there for a bunch of years. Most want to move up in classification, whether it be for pride, money or both. Hard for a school like Harleton, Ore City, L-K, James Bowie,Union Grove, etc....to find that great head coach that wants to stay long term. And the coach might have intentions on staying when hired, but have success and get better opportunities and move on anyway. 

I think LK and Bowie have their guy, for a while anyway.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:57 AM, spanky said:

There are a lot of people getting jobs just because they have done it a long time.....even if they are terrible 

9 hours ago, Destry said:

Not much interest evidently. What would it take to make it an attractive situation?

There's a bunch of schools in Texas that, at one time or another, asked the same question.

There is no specific road map that I have ever seen that is successful 100% of the time.

Like most things in this life, these situations are mostly multi-causational  ... and one solution or one size doesn't fit all.

But the problem in this state is more common than you think.  Most everyone is trying to find the path to the next level.

So if someone had all those answers - they could be rich beyond their wildest dreams - because he would have a commodity that was priceless and in high demand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Destry said:

Not much interest evidently. What would it take to make it an attractive situation?

Big, strong, fast and physical athletes?

Not sure Harleton has many that fit into any of the 4 categories and pretty sure none that check all 4 boxes.

When you say not much interest, what are you basing that on? Do you have a number of applicants? A list of applicants?