💜 UPDATE: Stephen F. Austin hires Colby Carthel (from A&M-Commerce)

ETxFB299

well here's my thoughts...if he wants this done by the first of December...he's eliminating the top high school coaches (they'll still be coaching in the playoffs actively, and will not shut that down for SFA)...that's just 2 weeks, so if you think SFA can talk a big time coordinator into giving a thumbs up to a pay cut in the middle of the season...I'll let you guys finish my thoughts from here.

I would be looking at Assistants from N. Dakota..Eastern Washington...James Madison etc. Wanting to name a finalist before December is crazy. Although looking at coaches from these schools is tough as they are always in the playoffs and you can't wait too long because of recruiting. One week is already gone because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

I’m hearing the Texas A&M Commerce coach and SFA’s AD have worked together before.  That would be something i’d Keep my eye on.  

How attractive is this SFA job from a coaches standpoint?   Would a major D-1 Coordinator even entertain it?  

Do high school head coaches even workout in these positions?   Todd Dodge created a dynasty at Southlake Carroll and went to North Texas and didn’t do so well. 

I expect the next coach to have not only strong Texas ties, but really good east Texas ties. That rules out the guys from NDSU, EWU, and JMU.

Ivey hired Carthel at A&M-Commerce. He comes with a little baggage, and will have to adjust to life without transfers, but has been very successful everywhere. Pretty much the odds on favorite I feel like.

The only DI assistant that I hear consistently about is Traylor. He would be a home run hire, but it is a matter of what he wants for his career path...

48 minutes ago, topher805 said:

The only DI assistant that I hear consistently about is Traylor. He would be a home run hire, but it is a matter of what he wants for his career path...

If Jeff left the FBS level, I would be utterly shocked...I'll say it again shocked! He would lose way too much and I cannot see him uprooting his daughter and wife again right now too unless it for something amazing...Nacogdoches (I'm physically shaking my head no). 

7 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

If Jeff left the FBS level, I would be utterly shocked...I'll say it again shocked! He would lose way too much and I cannot see him uprooting his daughter and wife again right now too unless it for something amazing...Nacogdoches (I'm physically shaking my head no). 

I think Traylor is just alumni being delusional. Not quite on the same scale, but very similar to Texas alums thinking they had a legit shot to hire Saban after Mack left. 

I'm sure Ivey is doing his due diligence on anyone and everyone he thinks might be interested or he might want to hire. However, all signs seem to be pointing toward Carthel from Commerce. Personally, i'd rather not go in that direction but who am I? 🤣

I will say that the success that UIW is having sets the bar a bit higher. They were not good, and have a legit chance to be in the FCS playoffs in year 1. Go get an offensive minded guy from the Leach or Briles tree and get SFA to rockin and rollin offensively. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I expect the next coach to have not only strong Texas ties, but really good east Texas ties. That rules out the guys from NDSU, EWU, and JMU.

Ivey hired Carthel at A&M-Commerce. He comes with a little baggage, and will have to adjust to life without transfers, but has been very successful everywhere. Pretty much the odds on favorite I feel like.

Just wishful thinking on my part with guys from the successful programs i mentioned. Your already at rock bottom so i wouldn't mind one of those types of guys having to come in and have to take some time to build relationships with area coaches.

27 minutes ago, TxFight said:

I think Traylor is just alumni being delusional. Not quite on the same scale, but very similar to Texas alums thinking they had a legit shot to hire Saban after Mack left. 

I'm sure Ivey is doing his due diligence on anyone and everyone he thinks might be interested or he might want to hire. However, all signs seem to be pointing toward Carthel from Commerce. Personally, i'd rather not go in that direction but who am I? 🤣

I will say that the success that UIW is having sets the bar a bit higher. They were not good, and have a legit chance to be in the FCS playoffs in year 1. Go get an offensive minded guy from the Leach or Briles tree and get SFA to rockin and rollin offensively. 

You have hit the nail squarely on the head. Get an exciting offensive minded guy that can light up the scoreboard and get recruits and fans interested. After you do that, then you worry about winning. MUST HAVE TEXAS TIES!!!! EAST TEXAS preferably.

3 hours ago, ETxFB299 said:

I’m hearing the Texas A&M Commerce coach and SFA’s AD have worked together before.  That would be something i’d Keep my eye on.  

How attractive is this SFA job from a coaches standpoint?   Would a major D-1 Coordinator even entertain it?  

Do high school head coaches even workout in these positions?   Todd Dodge created a dynasty at Southlake Carroll and went to North Texas and didn’t do so well. 

you go in with a plan... if you execute it right, then hopefully it works and you are out of there in 3-4 years making $1mil +...  you fail, one of those HS AD jobs will be waiting :D 

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

He would lose like $300-400k if i remember correctly...

4 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Gus Malzahn, Chad Morris, and Art Briles quickly come to mind as former HS coaches that have succeeded and jumped...of course SFA wouldn't get that quality of a coach

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but none of the ones you mentioned jumped from High school to College Head Coach or even College Coordinator. Too big of a jump. Have to go with someone that has College and recruiting experience, imo. 

Art Briles went from Stephenville HS to Texas Tech RB coach (but he was also doing some offensive coordinator work 2000-2002), then in 2003 was hired as head coach at U of Houston...it was always said that he was doing a lot of the offensive work with Leach.

Just like at U of Texas, Traylor was TE coach (asst head coach) and Charlie Strong said many times in pressers that he had trusted Traylor in tough times over OC to make calls in close games - that's why when Herman came in and Jeff wasn't going to be kept in a role of trust (he had his "boys" from UH) it was follow Charlie (yuck) or find the new way with Chad.

1 minute ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Art Briles went from Stephenville HS to Texas Tech RB coach (but he was also doing some offensive coordinator work 2000-2002), then in 2003 was hired as head coach at U of Houston.

Same as Chad and Gus. They all started as College assistants,  which was my point. I think Jeff Traylor a SFA alum, East Texas boy that is wanting to be a HC will be the choice. I could be wrong, but we will see as soon as the Razorbacks Season is over. 

1 minute ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

yes, but a totally different level than he's interested in being at. he still does like the "light" and enjoys the perks the larger towns now provide.

It maybe a totally different level than he's interested in, but sooner or later reality has to set in on what job you can get. It's going to take Morris several years to get Arkansas turned around. Once that happens Traylor could parlay that into a OC job (He would be in his mid 50's). Couple of good OC years and you get a FBS HC job in his late 50's, which is fairly old to start your HC career. 

yes, but word has it he could have gone to Missouri this year as the OC. it was offered and he stayed with Chad and the Asst Head Coach title again as he held at Texas and SMU. I don't know if he feels he's getting that good reputation "out there" internally with the college football people the way he had it with Texas HS people?

• Mr. P changed the title to 💜 UPDATE: Stephen F. Austin hires Colby Carthel (from A&M-Commerce)