πŸ’œ UPDATE: Stephen F. Austin hires Colby Carthel (from A&M-Commerce)

ETxFB299

28 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Traylor has withdrawn his name from consideration at SFA

I just did not see how it made sense for him

Also from other SFA alumni your President is not big on Football and is unwilling to spend the money to improve

He wants to put all resources in hoops because it pays more.Β 

Again not my words from couple of Jack AlumniΒ 

Β 

38 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I was wondering if they would make the changes to assistants salaries and facilities that I'm sure he would have wanted. Dont think SFA is ready to build a winning football program.Β 

2 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

I just did not see how it made sense for him

Also from other SFA alumni your President is not big on Football and is unwilling to spend the money to improve

He wants to put all resources in hoops because it pays more.Β 

Again not my words from couple of Jack AlumniΒ 

Β 

New president will be coming soon. Current is on medical leave and I would be shocked to see him return to full time status again. I do understand the money to basketball for right now. Until we get an athletic fee passed, it is a boost to the athletic budget. Long term, pouring so much money into basketball is not good for the athletic department as a whole.

Not sure what changed but he would have been a home run hire that would have given the entire athletic department a huge boost.Β 

From what I have heard, his wife hated Fayetteville and isn't even staying up there. It was a chance to come "home" and be with his family again. Financially we couldn't match, and I think we were really pushing the fact he could be home and build his own program.. Regardless, that is over and now it is time to see the other candidates and who emerges...

Maybe it is back to Carthel even though I'm not totally sold on him.Β 

Β 

Just now, topher805 said:

New president will be coming soon. Current is on medical leave and I would be shocked to see him return to full time status again. I do understand the money to basketball for right now. Until we get an athletic fee passed, it is a boost to the athletic budget. Long term, pouring so much money into basketball is not good for the athletic department as a whole.

Not sure what changed but he would have been a home run hire that would have given the entire athletic department a huge boost.Β 

From what I have heard, his wife hated Fayetteville and isn't even staying up there. It was a chance to come "home" and be with his family again. Financially we couldn't match, and I think we were really pushing the fact he could be home and build his own program.. Regardless, that is over and now it is time to see the other candidates and who emerges...

Maybe it is back to Carthel even though I'm not totally sold on him.Β 

Β 

Don't they have a Nepotism policy also. Not bringing his brother could have been a deal killer as well.Β 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

I was wondering if they would make the changes to assistants salaries and facilities that I'm sure he would have wanted. Dont think SFA is ready to build a winning football program.Β 

Most fans are and I trust Ivey to make the right hire. I think Traylor was 100% the right guy, but I'm not in the interview room and hearing/seeing what Ivey is. At Commerce and Peay, Ivey made home run hires that turned around the respective programs. I think we can see the same here, but now I'm just kind of twiddling my thumbs wondering who it will be...

4 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Most fans are and I trust Ivey to make the right hire. I think Traylor was 100% the right guy, but I'm not in the interview room and hearing/seeing what Ivey is. At Commerce and Peay, Ivey made home run hires that turned around the respective programs. I think we can see the same here, but now I'm just kind of twiddling my thumbs wondering who it will be...

Good luck to you. Hope you get a good one. Cant imagine getting a better candidate for an East Texas school, with one of the best D1 recruiters in the Country and an Alum. I would be sick if I was an Alum of SFA.Β 

• Like 2

That's the thing, I bet he said match where I am base now and make sure we can get Kurt in here for at least to what he's getting at Tyler ISD and Turner for a match at least to what he gets at Gilmer ISD. Then he might have wanted the ability to bring in his son and nephew from Arkansas for what they made on the Arkansas staff...maybe even bring GJ Kinne from Arkansas staff too to coach QB's.

Jeff has about 4 guys on that Arkansas staff now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topher805 said:

:rofl:Lost in football AGAIN!!Β 

Seriously though... Honestly, I'd like to see sfa get a decent coach and become a respectable program again. It would help the Southland Conference. Nichols, Lamar, UIW, etc. are getting better and its helping the conference's reputation. We got 3 teams in the playoffs again this year. The SLC's horrible reputation severely hurt SHSU's playoff seedings for several years...including the year they were undefeated and ranked #1 in the country but the playoff committee seeded them at #5 because the conference was WEAK.Β 

Besides, after beating sfa 8 TIMES IN A ROW in the BOTPW games it's getting kinda mundane with no competition from the jacks.Β 

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

:rofl:Lost in football AGAIN!!Β 

Seriously though... Honestly, I'd like to see sfa get a decent coach and become a respectable program again. It would help the Southland Conference. Nichols, Lamar, UIW, etc. are getting better and its helping the conference's reputation. We got 3 teams in the playoffs again this year. The SLC's horrible reputation severely hurt SHSU's playoff seedings for several years...including the year they were undefeated and ranked #1 in the country but the playoff committee seeded them at #5 because the conference was WEAK.Β 

Besides, after beating sfa 8 TIMES IN A ROW in the BOTPW games it's getting kinda mundane with no competition from the jacks.Β 

Most fans I'm hearing from think Traylor was #2 and Carthel is still #1. I think they're crazy...

I just want someone that can make us respectable again. We have too much talent to be this bad...

Before Carthel was hired
TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE (2012: 1-9; 2011:Β 1-9; 2010:Β 3-8)

After he was hired
2013: 7-5; 2-4; 5th
2014: 9-3; 6-1; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS #24 Ranking
2015: 8-4; 6-0; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #22 Ranking
2016: 11-2; 8-1; 1st Place LONE STAR CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #9 Ranking
2017: 14-1; 7-1; 2nd Place NATIONAL CHAMPIONS; PLAYOFFS #1 Ranking
2018: 10-3; 7-1; 2nd Place PLAYOFFS #15 Ranking

58-18; 35-8

Staff Article

Nacogdoches-SFA Athletic Director Ryan Ivey has announced the hire of Colby Carthel, the former coach at Division II Texas A&M-Commerce, as the Lumberjacks new Football coach. Carthel replaces interim head coach Jeff Byrd, who replaced Clint Conque at the beginning of the season, who had beenΒ suspendedΒ by the university for violation ofΒ undisclosed policies.Β 

Carthel just finished his 6th season in the Northeast Texas town of Commerce, as he took a storied Lions program that had grown anemic in the early 2000's andΒ thenΒ bottomed out from 2010-2012, going 5-27 during that stretch. Carthel was hired in 2013 and the Lions saw an immediate turnaround. The Lions went 7-5 in 2013, their best record since 2001, and was invited to the LiveUnited Texarkana Bowl, their first postseasonΒ appearance since the 1995 NCAA Division II Playoffs. The 2014 Lions led the nation in passing offense, scoring offense, and total offense enroute to winning the Lone Star Conference championship outright for the first time since 1990 and winning the C.H.A.M.P.S Heart of Texas Bowl. The 2015 Lions won the LSC title outright again and returned the NCAA Division II Playoffs, followed by a 2016 season that saw the Lions go 11-2 with another LSC title and qualify for the second round of the Division II playoffs, then, the 2017 Lions made history by going 14-1, winning the NCAA Division II National Championship for the first time in school history, and their second title overall, as the then East Texas State Lions won the NAIA Division I title in 1972.Β 

Carthel and Ivey both have a history, as Ivey was hired as TAMUC Athletic Director in 2013 and remained there until late 2015. Ivey hired Carthel away from Lone Star Conference rival West Texas A&M, where he had served as defensive coordinator under his Father, Don Carthel. The Father/Son duo were veryΒ successful at West Texas A&M winning multiple LSC titles and multiple Bowls and Division II playoffΒ appearances.Β 

Carthel was 58-18 overall, led the Lions to the post season in all 6 of his seasons, posted a 8-4 postseason record, and was named LSC Conference Coach of The Year in 2018.Β 

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to πŸ’œ UPDATE: Stephen F. Austin hires Colby Carthel (from A&M-Commerce)