💜 UPDATE: Stephen F. Austin hires Colby Carthel (from A&M-Commerce)

ETxFB299

I doubt Briles would take it...but I'd love that. Art can freakin' coach and no matter what, he got the blame for an entire school's issue. When you lead a giant program, you have 20-30 assistant coaches helping oversee 200 kids. When "issues arise" the assistants normally try to handle things to avoid the HC having to worry about each and every little issue...otherwise the team would simply have 1 coach (ridiculous). You have to be able to trust that your people can handle things (discipline issues). That can't always fall back to the head coach. I really could see the assistants covering up the rapes and "crimes" and even blocking it from getting to Briles completely (downplaying things), because as the team excelled those coaches wanted to keep their stars, etc.

As I type this, who knows...Briles probably wants to coach and this type of place could be the type of jump to get back in. It would sure be exciting...I'd go to some Jacks games.

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

I saw Scotty Walden throw a temper tantrum when we played So Miss earlier this year. I was thinking who's this kid losing his mind on the sidelines. Turns out it was him lol.

Dude is super young. Brilliant mind, but just a kid. I'd rather him be OC to Eargle, but the kid is a fast riser so who knows...

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 8:22 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I doubt Briles would take it...but I'd love that. Art can freakin' coach and no matter what, he got the blame for an entire school's issue. When you lead a giant program, you have 20-30 assistant coaches helping oversee 200 kids. When "issues arise" the assistants normally try to handle things to avoid the HC having to worry about each and every little issue...otherwise the team would simply have 1 coach (ridiculous). You have to be able to trust that your people can handle things (discipline issues). That can't always fall back to the head coach. I really could see the assistants covering up the rapes and "crimes" and even blocking it from getting to Briles completely (downplaying things), because as the team excelled those coaches wanted to keep their stars, etc.

As I type this, who knows...Briles probably wants to coach and this type of place could be the type of jump to get back in. It would sure be exciting...I'd go to some Jacks games.

You might be surprised what Art would take. All indications were he would have taken the Incarnate Word job last year when Benson was pushing for him. If he was considering UIW, I would think he would consider SFA. The Nuns wouldn't have him at UIW, not sure what the backlash might be at SFA. 

42 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

You might be surprised what Art would take. All indications were he would have taken the Incarnate Word job last year when Benson was pushing for him. If he was considering UIW, I would think he would consider SFA. The Nuns wouldn't have him at UIW, not sure what the backlash might be at SFA. 

yep, well I had rethought it all in the midst of my initial typing...I'm sure Coach Briles would jump at about any head college coaching opportunity or major coordinator chance to get back into the game and show that he is really a great coach and can regain some honor...along with getting a chance to get back to a bigger program someday. 

33 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

yep, well I had rethought it all in the midst of my initial typing...I'm sure Coach Briles would jump at about any head college coaching opportunity or major coordinator chance to get back into the game and show that he is really a great coach and can regain some honor...along with getting a chance to get back to a bigger program someday. 

Agreed. At some point, you would think somebody would give him a chance. He's one heck of a Coach, who has won everywhere he has been. He could definitely turn SFA around. 

Stephen F. Austin (FCS – TX): Arkansas running backs coach Jeff Traylor is interviewing this week for the head job tweets Adam Rittenberg. Tuesday we wrote about Traylor and other candidates for the job. Rittenberg adds that Mississippi State defensive analyst Van Malone (former SMU DC) has interviewed for the job as well.

41 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Talking to a buddy, and he thinks part of why Kendall returned to UH (Outside of the nice raise), was Briles and the school could not reach an agreement on Art being brought on in some capacity 

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Talking to a buddy, and he thinks part of why Kendall returned to UH (Outside of the nice raise), was Briles and the school could not reach an agreement on Art being brought on in some capacity 

I could understand that...I'm sure just about anywhere Kendall goes he will want his dad on staff in some capacity (possibly as OC)...unless his dad has already got back into NCAA coaching somewhere/anywhere

21 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I could understand that...I'm sure just about anywhere Kendall goes he will want his dad on staff in some capacity (possibly as OC)...unless his dad has already got back into NCAA coaching somewhere/anywhere

As dysfunctional as things are at Texas State (Supposedly), I'm sure they could slide Art in as an offensive analyst or consultant, and nobody would even know...

33 minutes ago, topher805 said:

As dysfunctional as things are at Texas State (Supposedly), I'm sure they could slide Art in as an offensive analyst or consultant, and nobody would even know...

yes, but they want it to be public where it can start to repair his image...like a high interest credit card fixing bad credit 🤪

54 minutes ago, topher805 said:

IF this happens, it will be good for the entire conference. A good SFA is good for the rest of the conference and its reputation.

If this happens would it be safe to say that he didn’t see a future at Arkansas 

if Jeff did take it, Carter McLane would immediately transfer from Texas Tech probably...if he has a year left. 

I still just find this one hard to believe unless SFA's administration said they'd pony up $500k at least...and make sure he had better salaries for assistants than Texas HS head coach/AD pay $100k.

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

if Jeff did take it, Carter McLane would immediately transfer from Texas Tech probably...if he has a year left. 

I still just find this one hard to believe unless SFA's administration said they'd pony up $500k at least...and make sure he had better salaries for assistants than Texas HS head coach/AD pay $100k.

Agree on Carter. I  doubt SFA would go over $250k. Some Men want to be Head Coaches not assistants. For some Men running your own Program and building something is more important than staying an assistant, even if it means taking a paycut. Not saying that is the case here,  but definitely appears to be if he takes the job. I could see a Willie Fritz type of progression if he can turn SFA around. Ole Willie making $2 million a year now....

• Mr. P changed the title to 💜 UPDATE: Stephen F. Austin hires Colby Carthel (from A&M-Commerce)