Stadium Announcers

Nacwagons

Now that we have been able to travel to multiple stadiums big and small. What stands out about the announcers at some of the stadiums. What makes a good one?? What do you hate out of the announcers. Definitely not asking to name names, I have noticed some really good ones and some that have no idea what they are saying. I even heard that the Dallas Cowboys announcer was visiting his home town over the Cowboys bye week and announced the playoff game at the local stadium. 

I have seen games played at SFA where the home team announcer called the game for the home team. I didnt think anything of it, I just assumed the home team gets the call.i was also sitting on the home team side so no one said anything g either. 

Does the tyler announcer call neutral??

30 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

PA guys that do play by play are the worst...lol...play is going on the PA guy yells "FUMBLE"

At the Alamodome last week the home team provided the announcer so obviously there was a difference between the two teams

Interesting!! Never heard them yell fumble and stuff like that. I have heard them say, "hes gone!!" or "headed for section C". I also haven't heard a lot of play by play. Mainly touchdown calls or first down calls!!

Announcers that don't know the penalty signals annoy me!!

Announcers should be as balanced as possible. Recognizing good plays and tackles both ways. It only stands to reason they will be more familiar with their home teams, but should make every effort to pronounce names correctly and keep both visitors and home fans apprised of game standings.

I like our announcer at Van but the best one I heard in the playoffs this year was at Mesquite Memorial. He sounded very professional. He definitely had a unique personality. Really liked how he would say "Vandal ball" or "Hornet ball" without adding the plural "s" lol.

7 hours ago, action10 said:

Announcers should be as balanced as possible. Recognizing good plays and tackles both ways. It only stands to reason they will be more familiar with their home teams, but should make every effort to pronounce names correctly and keep both visitors and home fans apprised of game standings.

I would think they would do their homework, but I've heard some horrible ones. 👍

• Like 1

Alto has a great hometown PA announcer in Mr. JD Pearman. He is an Alto grad, started announcing games back in the 70s at the old Student Field and does a great job to this day. Very professional, nice Southern accent, and just the right amount of emotion. Love to hear him say, “Touchdown! Touchdown Alto Yellowjackets!” Lol He is impressive to me in his control of emotion. He doesn’t get rattled and also treats our guests with the utmost respect. JD records a weekly coaches show with the AD/HC getting insight into the program and also calls the play-by-play for all away and playoff games on the radio. He’s been doing that since the 70s also! I guess you might say he is the “Voice of the Mean Sting!” Lol 

A couple of announcers from this season that stand out to me:

New Diana - He did a good job but was telling the fans to get on their feet for a big 3rd down (like at a Cowboys game! Lol). In all fairness, he was telling our fans to get up for the same kind of thing! We were like......😳 what? Never had an announcer tell the visiting fans to cheer for their team! Lol

Union Grove - The man must be related to Trace Atkins! OR he IS Trace Atkins! Honestly, I wanted him to break into Ba-Donka-Donk between plays! 😂 

Legendary:

San Augustine circa mid 2000s - EVERY time a flag was thrown, in the most East Texas twang you can imagine, the announcer would say “I see DIRTY LAUNDRY on the field.” “Yep, fans!!! More DIRTY LAUNDRY!” Lol🤣🤣🤣 Over and over again! “Dirty Laundry!”  😂  We talked about that for years and in fact this summer while in Canada we saw a laundromat called, you guessed it, “Dirty Laundry” and I had to snap a pic and send to the family! Lol I believe they have a different announcer now as I don’t remember any “dirty laundry” two years ago! Lol

5AED75D5-74B2-49E0-A58E-479D1296E9E1.jpeg

Our announcer here in Malakoff is very good. Malakoff alumni, played QB I believe. Also works for TVCC. Not sure if he announces for them or not. Other than his commentary what I really like about him is he gives constant updates on other local games, all classifications, and games of interest such as teams in our district or potential playoff opponents.

7 minutes ago, NavyDad0526 said:

Our announcer here in Malakoff is very good. Malakoff alumni, played QB I believe. Also works for TVCC. Not sure if he announces for them or not. Other than his commentary what I really like about him is he gives constant updates on other local games, all classifications, and games of interest such as teams in our district or potential playoff opponents.

Ours does this too. Fun to hear the fan reactions! Also, Mr. Pearman will give score updates for MLB playoffs! Lol