Conference Realignment?

Stoney

10 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

wow, just a UCONN athletics economic report released...

brought in - $40 million

lost - $81 million

uhm, can you say FCS

Wow pretty bad the big 12 could have saved them when they "pursing" a couple of years ago.

• Stinks 2

9 minutes ago, lion70 said:

Wow pretty bad the big 12 could have saved them when they "pursing" a couple of years ago.

hey, they would have been even worse off with the Big 12 travel to Texas and Oklahoma...that's a MASSIVE college athletics cost for teams!!! think of all the teams playing through the league schedules twice...ALL THOSE SPORTS, men and women...it's ungodly 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, lion70 said:

$$ brings to the table. Sec way more stable and it's obvious. Going away from the sec to big 12 wouldn't be in their best interest and is flat out dumb. 

You don't get it at all...  If Arkansas joined the B12 it would only stabilize the conference...  It might would even be a reason for OU to stay.  It might would even be intriguing for another school to join....

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

You don't get it at all...  If Arkansas joined the B12 it would only stabilize the conference...  It might would even be a reason for OU to stay.  It might would even be intriguing for another school to join....

I agree with that the point is mav, Arkansas benefits the big 12 not the other way around. They wouldn't be worse but let's not act like they will be Bama either because of an easier schedule. Highly doubtful another school goes on the success of Arkansas

• Stinks 7

18 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Wait, there’s teams in the sec that doesn’t have Bama like defenses???  Hmmm

ive been hearing on TV and sdc that sec defenses are the best and big 12 offenses are only good because their defenses ####.  I think that’s what is being said.  The Big12 offenses played well against what was supposed to be the best defenses and the Big12  defenses held the sec offenses to a good bit less than their season avgs.  That tells me the big 12 defenses are actually better than given credit for and the sec defenses aren’t as strong as let on.

So take it up with the people who said that. Thank you. 

19 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

So it’s not SEC defenses? It’s certain defenses within the SEC. 

That's fair to say. It's also fair to say, "Big XII offenses aren't great. Certain offenses with the Big XII are great." 

It's also fair to say, "Some SEC defenses aren't great." And "Some Big XII  defenses aren't great".

On average (and this is an eyeball test.... it'd require a complicated analysis to really prove it which I don't feel like doing on a Friday afternoon), the Big XII has great offensive players like QB and WR. Also, the style of play is different. They run the spread meaning games take longer, teams run more plays, and naturally they have more opportunities to score (which they do). Meanwhile, the SEC has great defensive players, especially on the line/front seven, and teams run more ground-and-pound attacks, meaning games are over quicker and teams have fewer chances to score. That's not to say the Big XII doesn't have standout defensive players or that the SEC doesn't have standout offensive players.... 

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game

Do consider a few things:

A&M and LSU are inflated due to their 7OT game. 

There are 3 Big XII teams in the top 10 (none in the SEC.... Mizzou was the top SEC team, ranked #13). And there are 5 SEC teams not in the top 100 (1 Big XII team- Oklahoma).

So yeah, I think that we have to take into account the styles of play of each conference when saying one is better offensively or defensively than another. SEC teams don't give up as many points because they aren't on the field as long. Big XII teams score more because they're on the field more. 

1 hour ago, lion70 said:

I agree with that the point is mav, Arkansas benefits the big 12 not the other way around. They wouldn't be worse but let's not act like they will be Bama either because of an easier schedule. Highly doubtful another school goes on the success of Arkansas

Internet Pic.png

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Stinks 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game

Do consider a few things:

A&M and LSU are inflated due to their 7OT game. 

There are 3 Big XII teams in the top 10 (none in the SEC.... Mizzou was the top SEC team, ranked #13). And there are 5 SEC teams not in the top 100 (1 Big XII team- Oklahoma).

So yeah, I think that we have to take into account the styles of play of each conference when saying one is better offensively or defensively than another. SEC teams don't give up as many points because they aren't on the field as long. Big XII teams score more because they're on the field more. 

Ou is an anomaly because they were such a "big play" offense. For example, Wake Forest was #1 and averaged 0.369 points per play. Baylor #5 averaged 0.342, Tech at 0.408 and Mizzou at 0.453 points per play. Oklahoma, although not even ranked in the top 100 of plays per game, averaged 0.716 points per play. That's nasty!

Great site though with a lot of good data. Hard to believe OU was averaging a TD (7 points) for about every 10 plays.

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

hey, they would have been even worse off with the Big 12 travel to Texas and Oklahoma...that's a MASSIVE college athletics cost for teams!!! think of all the teams playing through the league schedules twice...ALL THOSE SPORTS, men and women...it's ungodly 

He has no clue.  He just wants the Big12 to pick up some teams that won’t help the league in any way.  He just hopes it goes south for Texas, that is all

• Stinks 1

18 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Ou is an anomaly because they were such a "big play" offense. For example, Wake Forest was #1 and averaged 0.369 points per play. Baylor #5 averaged 0.342, Tech at 0.408 and Mizzou at 0.453 points per play. Oklahoma, although not even ranked in the top 100 of plays per game, averaged 0.716 points per play. That's nasty!

Great site though with a lot of good data. Hard to believe OU was averaging a TD (7 points) for about every 10 plays.

That's pretty ridiculous. And yeah, OU got in trouble against Army because they scored a little TOO quickly. They'd score in 40 seconds and then Army would drain the clock. I think they had run something like 24 plays by the time the 4th quarter had started! That's because they'd score TDs in like 4 plays and in those first 3 quarters, Army had drives of 16, 16, and 19 plays. Crazy. 

Still, in terms of points per play, that's unheard of. In our best year when Johnny was going crazy, we only had .564 points per play. 

And yeah, I love sites like this with tons of numbers. Good stuff.

38 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's fair to say. It's also fair to say, "Big XII offenses aren't great. Certain offenses with the Big XII are great." 

It's also fair to say, "Some SEC defenses aren't great." And "Some Big XII  defenses aren't great".

On average (and this is an eyeball test.... it'd require a complicated analysis to really prove it which I don't feel like doing on a Friday afternoon), the Big XII has great offensive players like QB and WR. Also, the style of play is different. They run the spread meaning games take longer, teams run more plays, and naturally they have more opportunities to score (which they do). Meanwhile, the SEC has great defensive players, especially on the line/front seven, and teams run more ground-and-pound attacks, meaning games are over quicker and teams have fewer chances to score. That's not to say the Big XII doesn't have standout defensive players or that the SEC doesn't have standout offensive players.... 

I agree with everything you said, but the narrative is still there.  

• Stinks 1

Yeah well you have to consider a few things:

1. About 85% of fans are ignorant. I can't sit in the stands at a Longview or A&M game because the fans spew some of the most ignorant drivel, usually about their own team. And it's not limited to them. I've been to several bowl games and other HS playoff games and fans of those teams are the exact same. 

2. ESPN/Sports Media say what will get them clicks/views. It's their business model. Saying things that people agree with or people will find outrageous will get them clicks.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Valhalla said:

What happened to the Big East is killing them. It's hard to survive as a basketball power in the American Conference.

Especially when you arent the power there....

UConn is a shell of what it once was. NCAA trouble and bad hires have severely crippled the program. The death of the Big East was the death blow.

#RIPBigEast

On 1/19/2019 at 7:16 AM, topher805 said:

Especially when you arent the power there....

UConn is a shell of what it once was. NCAA trouble and bad hires have severely crippled the program. The death of the Big East was the death blow.

#RIPBigEast

you're right, it's hard to be a "one trick pony"...honestly, look at Notre Dame (football not to the level they feel they should be -- basketball will not pay the bills or get the f'ball recruits there), UCONN, DePaul, St John's, Georgetown, UCLA (yes they do well in water polo, volleyball and some "olympic sports")...many of those schools that are powers in one particular sport (many of the ones I mentioned were those basketball powers we all knew from the 80's & 90's and before). 

if you had asked SMU in the early 80's if they weren't going to be a football/basketball/tennis (athletics in general) power from then on...they'd have scoffed at you -- now no matter what happened...

27 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Spoke to some WVU fans yesterday. They said they feel like they’ve never fit into the Big 12. They also believe the travel for their men’s and women’s teams is a logistical nightmare. Part of that is no fault of the Big 12 it’s just where Morgantown is and how hard it is to get there. 

Never been a fan of WVa. in the Big XII myself.

Would've made much more sense if the conference leadership had aggressively worked to expand the footprint. But in retrospect it can only be seen as a stopgap measure.