Conference Realignment?

Stoney

I think if The Big12 does expand they’ll need to find a new commissioner first.  Bowlsby has been bad for the Big12.  He could’ve added Louisville, Clemson and Florida State before they got locked into a good deal in the ACC.  Instead he just sat around doing nothing.  Apparently Bowlsby is content.  

18 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think if The Big12 does expand they’ll need to find a new commissioner first.  Bowlsby has been bad for the Big12.  He could’ve added Louisville, Clemson and Florida State before they got locked into a good deal in the ACC.  Instead he just sat around doing nothing.  Apparently Bowlsby is content.  

The Big XII power brokers hitched their wagon to UT from the get-go. Can't say I entirely blame them, UT is the biggest money-maker. 

It didn't help matters that OU's prez was a limp-wrist who preferred to go along to get along. But it is what it is. 

Thankfully, the Big XII will have to go big or go small by the time the next GOR gets here. Status quo won't be an option. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

The Big XII power brokers hitched their wagon to UT from the get-go. Can't say I entirely blame them, UT is the biggest money-maker. 

It didn't help matters that OU's prez was a limp-wrist who preferred to go along to get along. But it is what it is. 

Thankfully, the Big XII will have to go big or go small by the time the next GOR gets here. Status quo won't be an option. 

If you could get Arkansas to leave or get the Arizona schools then you will have the best option. I don't think Acc is a viable option . You could add two of the best available MoutainWest/American conference but that's probably not happening. Either ou and Texas get a Big 10 invite or something the big 12 will merge into the PAC .

18 minutes ago, lion70 said:

If you could get Arkansas to leave or get the Arizona schools then you will have the best option. I don't think Acc is a viable option . You could add two of the best available MoutainWest/American conference but that's probably not happening. Either ou and Texas get a Big 10 invite or something the big 12 will merge into the PAC .

Yes, Lion it would be the best option.  We’ve only been talking about it the last few weeks now.  Are you just realizing this?  

8 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Yes, Lion it would be the best option.  We’ve only been talking about it the last few weeks now.  Are you just realizing this?  

I can see it but not realistic. I have a better shot at winning a grammar contest while getting approved to be a Mod than some things you said

• Stinks 1

8 hours ago, AKA said:

It's going to be bigger than that, Lion.

The current landscape of conference networks only works if everyone is subscribing to bundled cable packages. 

What if they're not? 

Realistically it's what ou and Texas want those two are the only one that can improve themselves

• Stinks 2

11 hours ago, lion70 said:

Realistically it's what ou and Texas want those two are the only one that can improve themselves

How could UT and OU possibly improve themselves? 

How has either program suffered due to their affiliation with the Big XII? What opportunities for advancement have either of them missed out on, that wasn't directly tied to win-loss record? What years did OU miss the playoffs due to "only" winning the Big XII? What five-star recruit decided to go elsewhere, because OU/UT was in the Big XII? 

OU and UT are doing just fine. That's not the problem.

Think bigger.

2 minutes ago, AKA said:

How could UT and OU possibly improve themselves? 

How has either program suffered due to their affiliation with the Big XII? What opportunities for advancement have either of them missed out on, that wasn't directly tied to win-loss record? What years did OU miss the playoffs due to "only" winning the Big XII? What five-star recruit decided to go elsewhere, because OU/UT was in the Big XII? 

OU and UT are doing just fine. That's not the problem.

Think bigger.

I meant joining the big ten . Those two will be fine no matter what but they are keeping the big 12 afloat. Sure one could possibly hold the fort if the other left but both will be better together. Tcu, Iowa, st Kansas School, west Virginia , tech, Okie st & Baylor are the school who badly need those two

1 minute ago, lion70 said:

I meant joining the big ten . Those two will be fine no matter what but they are keeping the big 12 afloat. Sure one could possibly hold the fort if the other left but both will be better together. Tcu, Iowa, st Kansas School, west Virginia , tech, Okie st & Baylor are the school who badly need those two

Okay...  help me understand how joining the Big 10 would help OU or UT. 

Are we talking TV revenue? Define your terms. 

in the manner you guys are discussing, OU and Texas are okay. when the Big 12 started they were great, but as things have progressed, no matter the perceived and historical power of the two programs...they are now weakening due to the rest of the Big 12 just not having the good reputation and power of the other conferences. it is causing questions to whether they are strong enough to make championships and it causes them to no matter what, miss out on top players they would have probably got "in the old days" and those players would have been the ones that kept them on top (yes, they are good now, but OU were the studs of college football for a long time and Texas was right there as well being their main rival/nemesis).   

7 minutes ago, AKA said:

I think most would think that playing Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc constantly in conference would make for a conference to be VERY comparable to the SEC...could be tougher at times. There are 13 teams in the Big 10 right now...so I'd think they would add 3 teams to get to an even 16 (two - 8 team divisions). Thinking of adding Texas and Oklahoma...either Oklahoma State or a West Virginia (which the Big 10's other school locations make so much more sense for West Virginia as rivals -- either that or have the Big 10 try and poach a Pitt (natural rival to Penn State/Ohio State), Florida State, or Miami).

Thinking about this...this would be an exciting conference to watch. Lots of rivalries (Oklahoma/Texas, Oklahoma/Nebraska, Nebraska/Texas, Ohio State/Texas, all the current Big 10 plus of course). 

7 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I think most would think that playing Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc constantly in conference would make for a conference to be VERY comparable to the SEC...could be tougher at times. There are 13 teams in the Big 10 right now...so I'd think they would add 3 teams to get to an even 16 (two - 8 team divisions). Thinking of adding Texas and Oklahoma...either Oklahoma State or a West Virginia (which the Big 10's other school locations make so much more sense for West Virginia as rivals -- either that or have the Big 10 try and poach a Pitt (natural rival to Penn State/Ohio State), Florida State, or Miami).

Thinking about this...this would be an exciting conference to watch. Lots of rivalries (Oklahoma/Texas, Oklahoma/Nebraska, Nebraska/Texas, Ohio State/Texas, all the current Big 10 plus of course). 

I wanted Lion to answer. He gets it too easy in here. Throwing out claims without support. 

I want to know why he thinks it would be better. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AKA said:

More stable conference. $$ not an issue . Like I said those two don't have any worries. The other 8 teams can't really say that. Those two are the only ones any conference would consider by themselves. It would be much easier going together. Succesful Independent more likely for Texas than Ou but they wouldn't get the Irish treatment. JMHO

• Stinks 4

1 hour ago, AKA said:

I wanted Lion to answer. He gets it too easy in here. Throwing out claims without support. 

I want to know why he thinks it would be better. 

It would benefit them more in the Big ten. It would also make the big ten better. Way more realistic than hoping Arkansas or an Acc team joins the current big 12. I mean look when Texas was absolute garbage and Ou wasn't normally good. Tcu/Baylor weren't taken seriously as a champ . The big 12 will never be as good as it once was and Ou/Texas have to be good for anyone to take them seriously.

• Stinks 3

57 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

it doesn't matter at this point...there are some things that would be beautiful but will never happen, so there's no reason to even argue it...

Agree do get some entertainment out of ridiculous suggestions and opinions . Pretty much it's either status quo or the Big 10. 

• Stinks 6