Conference Realignment?

Stoney

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

The only thing that matters is how the season finishes for all teams.  Quite honestly, Texas may have had the best season out of anyone in any conference?  Why?  Because they had a great season and beat some great teams along the way.

They also barely beat some .500 teams and lost to Maryland and almost lost to Tulsa. Let’s not get carried away... They finished strong but to say they had what might have had the best season out of anyone is stretching it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The only thing that matters is how the season finishes for all teams.  Quite honestly, Texas may have had the best season out of anyone in any conference?  Why?  Because they had a great season and beat some great teams along the way.

False 

Oklahoma made the college football playoff. That’s the best ending of any team in the Big 12.

50 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

False 

Oklahoma made the college football playoff. That’s the best ending of any team in the Big 12.

They may have had the best destination of any B12 team, but they certainly did not have the best 'ending'. 

53 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

False 

Oklahoma losing in the CFB is great.  But for the program, I feel Texas benefited the most from their season.

17 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Oklahoma losing in the CFB is great.  But for the program, I feel Texas benefited the most from their season.

The only thing left for Oklahoma to achieve (again) this century is winning the National Title.

Texas just had a 4 loss season and are celebrating it like they won the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The only thing left for Oklahoma to achieve (again) this century is winning the National Title.

Texas just had a 4 loss season and are celebrating it like they won the Super Bowl.

Thats the key. Yes they won the sugar bowl. But they also lost 4 games. 3 of them to teams with far less talent. Their season ended on a high note though and that lets people overlook that they struggled a little last year as well. I think they have reason for optimism but should be cautious with how high they get on the hype. This smells like one of those Notre Dame Texas is back type moments.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

That’s the thing though.  While Texas is not OU, they took a huge step forward.  They have seen 2 straight years of improvement... how long has it been since they sustained any sort of success similar to that?

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

That’s the thing though.  While Texas is not OU, they took a huge step forward.  They have seen 2 straight years of improvement... how long has it been since they sustained any sort of success similar to that?

While I agree with the huge step forward, CFP is the end goal.  

On 7/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, MavGrad99 said:

As a Texas fan there is a lot to be excited about while at the same time most Texas fans have learned to temper their enthusiasm. Does this smell like the Tessatore "they're back moment"? No. Texas went on to having a losing season that year because of a defense that got their coordinator demoted. That won't happen this season.

On 7/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, WETSU said:

They also barely beat some .500 teams and lost to Maryland and almost lost to Tulsa. Let’s not get carried away... They finished strong but to say they had what might have had the best season out of anyone is stretching it. 

They had 1 bad loss. Let's not get carried away Wet. They lost to Ok state on the road by 3. Loss to WV by 1 (they were ranked around 15th)and lost in the Big 12 championship to OU (who they beat earlier in the year). Yes, they had a good season. This year should be even better.

6 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

They had 1 bad loss. Let's not get carried away Wet. They lost to Ok state on the road by 3. Loss to WV by 1 (they were ranked around 15th)and lost in the Big 12 championship to OU (who they beat earlier in the year). Yes, they had a good season. This year should be even better.

cough*Maryland*cough

Okie State was a .500 team.

32 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Oklahoma st was not a good loss. So that’s 2 bad losses. And they barely beat Baylor and Tulsa. 

My point is that while the season ended great against Georgia, there’s still some cause for concern imo if you look at the season as a whole. That’s not me trying to bash that’s me making an observation.

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Texas was a few plays away from maybe being 12-0, but they were also a few plays away from being 6-6.

Exactly. And that holds true for a lot of teams. Which goes back to my argument earlier in the thread, if you’re not holding a trophy at the end of conference play, there isn’t much difference in 10 wins or 8 wins. Hell nearly every team in that 6-10 wins range was just a handful of plays away from being in the other side of that argument. 

3 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Question- How would Texas do in the SEC West?

I'm a fan but I'm gonna say not very good. LOS play would eat them up.

I said a few days ago.  Texas would do well defensively.  Outside of Bama' none of those offense are like an OU, WVU, OK State, etc.  QB play is a big drop from those teams to the likes of Miss. State, Arky, LSU.  And Orlando has a proven track record of shutting down pro-style type offenses.  Fromm was touted as the 2nd best QB in the SEC and Texas made him look like a scrub.

The defenses would be a challenge for the most part.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I said a few days ago.  Texas would do well defensively.  Outside of Bama' none of those offense are like an OU, WVU, OK State, etc.  QB play is a big drop from those teams to the likes of Miss. State, Arky, LSU.  And Orlando has a proven track record of shutting down pro-style type offenses.  Fromm was touted as the 2nd best QB in the SEC and Texas made him look like a scrub.

I’m telling you now... A&M would have ran for 300 on Texas last year. Don’t let one game against Georgia get you fooled. Texas would not run and probably wouldn’t stop the run against most of the sec west. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I’m telling you now... A&M would have ran for 300 on Texas last year. Don’t let one game against Georgia get you fooled. Texas would not run and probably wouldn’t stop the run against most of the sec west. 

Lol of course you believe that.  Get out of here with that delusional BS.  

9 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

LOS would be IMO.

30 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Idk the Texas front 7 handled themselves well against the best O-line in college football twice last year. 

The style of play would allow them to sell out more to stop the run as well. Outside of Tua nobody in the SEC West would really light you up in the passing game.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I guess you’ll just have to stand there and tell us then.  I guess we’ll just have to laugh.  Mond would’ve had to beat them through the air as Texas would’ve sold out to stop the run.  Mond isn’t close to Jake Fromm.  From had a semi decent game.  

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

Lol of course you believe that.  Get out of here with that delusional BS.  

I said it was my opinion. And of course you would disagree. But I think it’s more delusional to base 1 games results into thinking you could do that week in and week out in the sec west. 

5 of the 7 SEC west teams probably had a better front 7 than every big 12 team from a talent standpoint. I’m simply saying I do not believe they would have failed near as well against the run on either side of the LOS. That is just an observation and opinion because of the style of play and talent level differences in both leagues. 

I’m going to edit this... I said 6 of the 7 and I think that’s a stretch. Bama, LSU, Miss st, A&M and auburn all had quality front 7 play last season. Better than everyone in the big 12 except arguably Texas, who doesn’t count in the discussion we were having because it is about Texas playing an sec schedule. So 5 of the 7 not 6 like I said above. Believe it or not I do believe that impacts a team having to play that schedule vs the big 12 schedule in terms of health of RBs and linebackers. Yes for a game matchups matter, but I don’t believe Texas had the depth to stay healthy enough for similar results in the sec as they did in the big 12 because of the size difference in the players. Look it up I’m not making this up. The sec size in the trenches is a real thing for the majority of the west. 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

I guess you’ll just have to stand there and tell us then.  I guess we’ll just have to laugh.  Mond would’ve had to beat them through the air as Texas would’ve sold out to stop the run.  Mond isn’t close to Jake Fromm.  From had a semi decent game.  

Monds legs are what would have made the difference in that game.

Mond played and played well against Bama, Clemson and LSU. Better defenses than what Texas fielded. I’m sorry but the stats are against you on believing Texas would have stopped Mond. 2 playoff teams couldn’t “stop him” so I disagree.