Conference Realignment?

Stoney

I'd prefer to stay in the Big 12 and add two quality teams. I think Houston would jump in, but not sure about the other. Like Val said, Texas doesn't have many friends across the country, so I would come to believe that their second option would be to go independent because they have the power to do that.

With that being said, a lot can change in the next 6 years. 

17 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I'd prefer to stay in the Big 12 and add two quality teams. I think Houston would jump in, but not sure about the other. Like Val said, Texas doesn't have many friends across the country, so I would come to believe that their second option would be to go independent because they have the power to do that.

With that being said, a lot can change in the next 6 years. 

I think going independent would hurt their chances in the current 4 team "invitational tournament" selection process because they wouldn't be a conference champion or have played a conference championship game ... I doubt Texas would go this route even though they probably could ...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I think going independent would hurt their chances in the current 4 team "invitational tournament" selection process because they wouldn't be a conference champion or have played a conference championship game ... I doubt Texas would go this route even though they probably could ...

I agree. I think they would really push for adding teams rather then dissolving the whole conference. Independent could work, but I agree that they wouldn't do it because of the reason you stated. However, who knows what the playoff will look like in 6 years (probably would be the same but ya never know). If they somehow expand it, then Texas going independent wouldn't be a bad option. They would have to win just about all of their games like ND this year though.

11 hours ago, Valhalla said:

My preferred Oklahoma destinations ranked.

1) Stay in the Big 12 and add real quality teams somehow.

2) Join SEC with or without Texas

3) Join BIG 10 with Texas

4) Stay in Big 12 as is

5) Join the BIG 10 without Texas

6) Independent 

7) Join the PAC with Texas

For now, I'd like the Big XII to at least expand to include those nouveau riche Florida schools (UCF, USF). The longer the BigXII stands pat with the 10, the more certain it is the conference falls apart. In this day and age you're either growing and expanding, or dying. 

Long term? Eh...  I don't care if OU joins Big 10, SEC, or the Pac. Each option has pros and cons. 

16 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I agree. I think they would really push for adding teams rather then dissolving the whole conference. Independent could work, but I agree that they wouldn't do it because of the reason you stated. However, who knows what the playoff will look like in 6 years (probably would be the same but ya never know). If they somehow expand it, then Texas going independent wouldn't be a bad option. They would have to win just about all of their games like ND this year though.

I don't like the independent option, the bad far outweighs the good in my opinion .... Texas would not be given the same deference as ND .... it would be far too easy to exclude Texas as an independent versus as a conference champion ...

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I don't like the independent option, the bad far outweighs the good in my opinion .... Texas would not be given the same deference as ND .... it would be far too easy to exclude Texas as an independent versus as a conference champion ...

Agreed. But I'm saying if the playoff format changes or expands, Texas going independent might be something to think about. With the way the playoff is now, you pretty much have to be the conference champion to get in. If they expand it though, that might open the door for an independent as well as say a team in the position like Georgia this year. As of right now, I agree that it wouldn't be the best move.

The Big XII is trending upwards.  And may be the best bet if they can increase revenue.

They have 7 bowl teams...  1 NY6 team, and a CFBP representative for 2 years in a row.

Their game times are awful... Playing at 11:00 for 90% of the conference isn't exposure... Texas at 11:00, Middle tier at 2:30, OU at night... and you can capture some of the fan base that decides to watch SEC games BECAUSE THEY ARE ON IN EVERY TIME SLOT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

The Big12 makes plenty of money with just their 1-2 tier tv rights.  Iirc the Big12 contract states that adding two teams increases the payout to the current 10 teams by a couple million each.  If I were the big 12 I’d make a sweet deal for the Arizona schools as the pac12 teams are sucking hind tit when talking payouts.then if they go to 14 they’d be able to add BYU and possibly Colorado back.  Buddy of mine that is Ark alum says the Arky to Big12 talks are still taking place 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

For now, I'd like the Big XII to at least expand to include those nouveau riche Florida schools (UCF, USF). The longer the BigXII stands pat with the 10, the more certain it is the conference falls apart. In this day and age you're either growing and expanding, or dying. 

Long term? Eh...  I don't care if OU joins Big 10, SEC, or the Pac. Each option has pros and cons. 

Let OU schedule some pac12 teams and see what happens.  They’ll be late games with most likely a 9:30 kickoff time

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Texas as Indy would kill the RR shootout possibly.   OU might not be able to keep that week open depending on their conf affiliation.

dodds is gone.  Texas needs to work on fixing the strained relationships they have.  I have the LHN and it’s nice for baseball season, but watching old games doesn’t do much for me. They need to parlay the LHN into a Big12 network

43 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The Big XII is trending upwards.  And may be the best bet if they can increase revenue.

They have 7 bowl teams...  1 NY6 team, and a CFBP representative for 2 years in a row.

Their game times are awful... Playing at 11:00 for 90% of the conference isn't exposure... Texas at 11:00, Middle tier at 2:30, OU at night... and you can capture some of the fan base that decides to watch SEC games BECAUSE THEY ARE ON IN EVERY TIME SLOT!

This presupposes that the Big XII brass has even a modicum of business or marketing savvy. 

They don't.

Everything you suggested makes perfect sense...  which is why there isn't a chance in hell that the Big XII would do something even half as clever. 

U0B5x1c.gif

29 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The Big12 makes plenty of money with just their 1-2 tier tv rights.  Iirc the Big12 contract states that adding two teams increases the payout to the current 10 teams by a couple million each.  If I were the big 12 I’d make a sweet deal for the Arizona schools as the pac12 teams are sucking hind tit when talking payouts.then if they go to 14 they’d be able to add BYU and possibly Colorado back.  Buddy of mine that is Ark alum says the Arky to Big12 talks are still taking place 

I think there's some minor outside chance that Arizona and Arizona State might be interested BUT it would simply be for opportunity. I imagine as a university overall athletic department they like competing in the PAC12 due to the other sports available and the ease of getting into California. Though fairly near El Paso, Texas...that seems practically not in Texas it's so dang far out there. I think with the recent successes, U of Central Florida (plus it's university size near 50,000 students I believe - in Orlando)...BYU, I believe will still need a conference soon as I do think the NCAA will start pushing schools to be in a conference to "qualify"...and I think Baylor doesn't have the near power anymore to say uh, "it's us Baptist or them Mormons." 

Over the last few days, it's been really interesting to hear news out of the ACC and the BIG10 "plus rumblings of possibly others" that they are looking to scrap divisions in their conferences because of the perceived success of the BIG12's no division method of getting the best 2 into the championship. The BIG12's championship games being exciting over these last few years where other conferences have a top team against a low ranked or unranked opponent brings in no eyeballs and less behinds in the seats. 

Supposedly there are already people with ESPN/networks going ahead and getting numbers together to show NCAA/conferences to say how much more money they would make if there was another round of playoffs. Could get them to tear up current playoff contract early.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Arkie to Big 12 would be cool.

I liked AKA's idea of UCF and USF. And then possible BYU and Houston. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure having another Texas team in the big 12 is what they would really want...

On 12/6/2018 at 10:54 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I think there's some minor outside chance that Arizona and Arizona State might be interested BUT it would simply be for opportunity. I imagine as a university overall athletic department they like competing in the PAC12 due to the other sports available and the ease of getting into California. Though fairly near El Paso, Texas...that seems practically not in Texas it's so dang far out there. I think with the recent successes, U of Central Florida (plus it's university size near 50,000 students I believe - in Orlando)...

The UCf talk popped up after they beat Baylor a few years back.  Then they struggled to win a couple games.  I think they need to show more than two years of competitiveness in a row to be considered. Also, how is the other sports and women’s sports?  If all the offer is good football every 4-5 years then no, the big12 shouldn’t take them.  The Arizona schools would increase the value of the Big12 as they’ve had success at times in most sports.  South Florida is no differentthan UCF, I think taking them in would force some bigger and better teams in the Big12 to look elsewhere.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:20 AM, WestHardinfan1 said:

Here's what I'd like to see for the Big XII:

Might as well as Houston and UTSA if your just taking in commuter schools.  

On 12/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, ETXfan16 said:

They should work on Arkansas very hard.  I don’t think it’s take as much as most do to lure them in

On 12/6/2018 at 11:20 AM, WestHardinfan1 said:

Here's what I'd like to see for the Big XII:

they aren't going to divisions, when you have all the other "big time" conferences thinking of bailing on conferences and trying to find a way of scheduling 8 to 9 game conference schedules randomly where over 2-3 years they'd play everyone, etc and the best 2 would play in the end...just trying to avoid the best pre-season perceived powers from playing the last game of season as to not play last game and again in championship.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:40 AM, DB2point0 said:

The UCf talk popped up after they beat Baylor a few years back.  Then they struggled to win a couple games.  I think they need to show more than two years of competitiveness in a row to be considered. Also, how is the other sports and women’s sports?  If all the offer is good football every 4-5 years then no, the big12 shouldn’t take them.  The Arizona schools would increase the value of the Big12 as they’ve had success at times in most sports.  South Florida is no differentthan UCF, I think taking them in would force some bigger and better teams in the Big12 to look elsewhere.

haven't they been ranked top 15 in men's basketball this season already

20 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I liked AKA's idea of UCF and USF. And then possible BYU and Houston. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure having another Texas team in the big 12 is what they would really want...

Whoever they add will need to be in the same region.  I would suggest going East and adding someone in the West Virginia vicinity...  Tennitucky area makes sense to me.  Memphis (good winning tradition), and UCF (massive enrollment in a big market) are good ideas.  But, for Memphis to work, you need to give them the same amount of time and patience that they did with TCU to catch up.  I, personally, would go after an ACC team with a decent football program and a great basketball program.  Nothing else matters when it comes to monetary considerations, which should be the main focus of the conference....

If you expand, that is more pieces of the pie being distributed... to keep OU and Texas here, that pie needs to get bigger...  UCF, USF, and Memphis does not make that pie bigger...  Memphis would be equivalent to Texas Tech right now and UCF would probably end up with a mid tier bowl...  I don't see that as adding money to the pot to share with the big money makers, OU and Texas.

Now if you consider Basketball contributions, that is where Memphis could make a play... They are surely on a tournament track with their new HC and recruiting.  That is big time TV money to the conference.  UCF and USF offer nothing but football and I don't think USF would have sniffed a bowl game in the B12 this year.  That's why I would look at an ACC school...  If there is a B12 Network on the horizon, then that contract should exceed the ACC meaning there are less teams to share with and more money... I think you could go after Wake or someone like that and have a shot.

oh my gosh if we considered UTSA, Cincy, Memphis...if I had anything to with Texas and Oklahoma...I'd be like "uh you guys we need 6 teams", then those 2 pull (UT and Okie) out because it turns into not much more than Conference USA

just get the conference to add Houston, UCF and USF too 

then OU and Texas go to one of the other conferences without guilt

If the B12 were to expand, they need to do so with quality teams. Stop poaching the non Power 5's better teams. Would it make for a higher number of competitive games? Sure. But none of those teams...Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF, etc...are drawing the appeal of the voters come playoff time. Take the current B12. There are only 2 teams that will ever make the playoff with a single loss....Texas and OU. Anyone else will need to go undefeated. It would not be any different with any of those teams mentioned. If you can't pull the teams with higher appeal, then it's simply time to dismantle. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

If the B12 were to expand, they need to do so with quality teams. Stop poaching the non Power 5's better teams. Would it make for a higher number of competitive games? Sure. But none of those teams...Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF, etc...are drawing the appeal of the voters come playoff time. Take the current B12. There are only 2 teams that will ever make the playoff with a single loss....Texas and OU. Anyone else will need to go undefeated. It would not be any different with any of those teams mentioned. If you can't pull the teams with higher appeal, then it's simply time to dismantle. 

I agree with this in principle, but who would you go after? What quality team(s) would leave the Big 10/SEC/Pac for the Big XII? 

12 minutes ago, AKA said:

I agree with this in principle, but who would you go after? What quality team(s) would leave the Big 10/SEC/Pac for the Big XII? 

I think they could go after schools like Florida State, Louisville, Arizona, Arizona State, or Arkansas. I don't know that they would get any of them, but at least try. If you don't, that's when you look at other options...such as teams like Texas and OU looking to the B10. I'd prefer that over the Pac 12 solely because of the schedule times mentioned. 

• Mr. P changed the title to Conference Realignment?