Conference Realignment?

Stoney

20 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I think they could go after schools like Florida State, Louisville, Arizona, Arizona State, or Arkansas. I don't know that they would get any of them, but at least try. If you don't, that's when you look at other options...such as teams like Texas and OU looking to the B10. I'd prefer that over the Pac 12 solely because of the schedule times mentioned. 

Big12 missed the boat when talking about ACC teams.  Their contract is good with a great GOR now.  They’ll give up too much to leave.  The PAC12 has a #### tv contract and a sorry Tier 3 contract.  The Big12 doesn’t have a tier 3 contract ((because all involved agreed to do their own thing before whining about Texas doing it)) but their tv money is a lot better than thepac money.  

I still stand by what I said.  The LHN needs to parlay into a conference network for expansion to work. 

10 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I think they could go after schools like Florida State, Louisville, Arizona, Arizona State, or Arkansas. I don't know that they would get any of them, but at least try. If you don't, that's when you look at other options...such as teams like Texas and OU looking to the B10. I'd prefer that over the Pac 12 solely because of the schedule times mentioned. 

Louisville and/or Arkansas would be awesome...  getting the Arizona schools would be pretty cool. 

Whatever the Big XII is gonna do, they better get on a stick. If nothing changes fundamentally between now and the next GOR, the new prez at OU is gonna do something radical. 

• Like 1

I mean the only way those teams (Florida State, Arkansas, Arizona, Arizona State, Wake Forest and Louisville) are interested and I'd be totally down for those add-in's is for the BIG12 higher up to pitch "hey, this conference would be one that you could genuinely compete for the title in every year plus you could poach Texas for recruits easier". Florida State would be offended because they will think, "what we are studs of the ACC"...despite Clemson, and they may be after they hire Urban Meyer next year. I figure West Virginia after not taking the BIG12 this year is probably looking for an out to get to the ACC (possibly take Florida State's place if they did come our way). Arkansas despite getting "prison r-p-d" in the SEC constantly in everything aside from track, cross country, and last year's baseball...may be too hard headed to come back to what they perceive as Texas' conference. I do think it would be great for them and all the other schools in the BIG12 to have Arkansas...a normal fit! 

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Whoever they add will need to be in the same region.  I would suggest going East and adding someone in the West Virginia vicinity...  Tennitucky area makes sense to me.  Memphis (good winning tradition), and UCF (massive enrollment in a big market) are good ideas.  But, for Memphis to work, you need to give them the same amount of time and patience that they did with TCU to catch up.  I, personally, would go after an ACC team with a decent football program and a great basketball program.  Nothing else matters when it comes to monetary considerations, which should be the main focus of the conference....

If you expand, that is more pieces of the pie being distributed... to keep OU and Texas here, that pie needs to get bigger...  UCF, USF, and Memphis does not make that pie bigger...  Memphis would be equivalent to Texas Tech right now and UCF would probably end up with a mid tier bowl...  I don't see that as adding money to the pot to share with the big money makers, OU and Texas.

Now if you consider Basketball contributions, that is where Memphis could make a play... They are surely on a tournament track with their new HC and recruiting.  That is big time TV money to the conference.  UCF and USF offer nothing but football and I don't think USF would have sniffed a bowl game in the B12 this year.  That's why I would look at an ACC school...  If there is a B12 Network on the horizon, then that contract should exceed the ACC meaning there are less teams to share with and more money... I think you could go after Wake or someone like that and have a shot.

That's a good thought.. I know you mentioned Wake Forest, what other ACC teams do you think would be willing to make the move? (Or would be a good fit)

18 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

That's a good thought.. I know you mentioned Wake Forest, what other ACC teams do you think would be willing to make the move? (Or would be a good fit)

of the ACC, Florida State or Miami possibly would seem to be the only one that would make sense. I don't see NC State breaking away from UNC or those other basketball schools.

8 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

of the ACC, Florida State or Miami possibly would seem to be the only one that would make sense. I don't see NC State breaking away from UNC or those other basketball schools.

Georgia Tech and Louisville are 2 that come to my mind.

46 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I would make a pitch to North Carolina and NC State first although they wont budge...

Then I would move to the 2 Virginia schools which I also think are unlikely...

Where I think you have your best shot is still Louisville and Wake Forest.  

Again all unlikely scenarios... but if you show them some $$$ you could do it.  While they would come in and be bottom feeder football programs, they are legit basketball schools and have the money to help that aspect in at least 1 sport.  BUT... WVU was supposed to be a good basketball school too....  and they havent done much

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I would make a pitch to North Carolina and NC State first although they wont budge...

Then I would move to the 2 Virginia schools which I also think are unlikely...

Where I think you have your best shot is still Louisville and Wake Forest.  

Again all unlikely scenarios... but if you show them some $$$ you could do it.  While they would come in and be bottom feeder football programs, they are legit basketball schools and have the money to help that aspect in at least 1 sport.  BUT... WVU was supposed to be a good basketball school too....  and they havent done much

problem is, those schools DOMINATE and feel an importance to quite a few sports that the BIG12 doesn't even field men's soccer, few schools have field hockey (no power schools for sure), women's soccer has top 10 teams but after coaching college sports for nearly 15 years, there is a major leap in many of our sports even from having a team that hangs out around #5 to 8 in the rankings and #1 to 3...just ask UCONN, Notre Dame, and Mississippi State women's basketball to our beloved Longhorns/Aggies/Bears.

those teams at #1 - 3 say "they're trying, ah that's cute...let's flex our muscle now and win this by 35...maybe 55 on a ugly night"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 12:23 AM, THSfanatic said:

If you read the Holgerson story it is really a fairy tale ending.   I'm a big UH supporter & alum and I had no idea all the history & behind the scenes connection he had with Houston.  You don't hear of coaches willingly leaving a winning program in a Power 5 like the Big 12 and moving to a Group of 5 program.  Really cool & interesting story.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25682806/the-billionaire-bold-move-houston-dana-holgorsen-hire

Wish him well. I liked him being in the Big XII, and hope he helps Houston get into a Power 5 conference. 

33 minutes ago, AKA said:

Wish him well. I liked him being in the Big XII, and hope he helps Houston get into a Power 5 conference. 

Geographically the Big 12 is the best fit, but that ain't happening. I could see the ACC trying to make a footprint in Texas though... They just have to run it by Uncle Tillman first...

1 minute ago, topher805 said:

Geographically the Big 12 is the best fit, but that ain't happening. I could see the ACC trying to make a footprint in Texas though... They just have to run it by Uncle Tillman first...

If the Big XII was smart they'd swap out Baylor for Houston straight up. Boom, instant upgrade. 

Won't happen though...  too many well-connected BU alums in high places. 

15 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

And kick out TCU while we are at it.

Meh, I don't mind TCU as much. They don't rock the boat, and (more often than not) they do a pretty good job of representing the conference. Not a whole lot of drama with them either. 

Baylor on the other hand...   

19 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

TCU did win/tie a Conference title...

So. It’s not like A&M never did it either... Tcu was NOT an upgrade from A&M long term. Sure they had a decent season or two when ou and Texas were down, but it’s not like TCU is the ultimate addition to the conference imo. 

On 1/6/2019 at 3:24 PM, WETSU said:

You mean the TCU that was an upgrade over A&M? 

They were an upgrade on the football field. 

On 1/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, AKA said:

Meh, I don't mind TCU as much. They don't rock the boat, and (more often than not) they do a pretty good job of representing the conference. Not a whole lot of drama with them either. 

Just having so many Texas schools restricts the best expansion candidates.

Replace TCU with a school in the East like Cinnci and you could add Memphis and UCF and it would make sense.

Or go back in time and stop yourself from turning down Louisville.

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

So. It’s not like A&M never did it either... Tcu was NOT an upgrade from A&M long term. Sure they had a decent season or two when ou and Texas were down, but it’s not like TCU is the ultimate addition to the conference imo. 

They aren’t. It was a quick fix that didn’t upset the powers of the conference.

Kind of the same thing A&M was for the SEC. A door to Texas recruiting that wouldn’t upset the power structure.

• Mr. P changed the title to Conference Realignment?
23 minutes ago, WETSU said:

i had to mess with you... its the off-season :p

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

They aren’t. It was a quick fix that didn’t upset the powers of the conference.

Kind of the same thing A&M was for the SEC. A door to Texas recruiting that wouldn’t upset the power structure.

Lol at you thinking A&M can’t upset the power structure of the SEC. Tcu and A&M are not even remotely comparable. A&M has unlimited resources, top 5 facilities, elite fan base, and just enough history to make them recognizable. Tcu offered extremely limited resources, a 6A high school stadium, a small fan base, and truthfully only had done a couple of good seasons in a kid major in the last 40 years... They aren’t comparable in the slightest. But nice attempt at a blast. 

On 12/6/2018 at 12:54 PM, AKA said:

Louisville and/or Arkansas would be awesome...  getting the Arizona schools would be pretty cool. 

Whatever the Big XII is gonna do, they better get on a stick. If nothing changes fundamentally between now and the next GOR, the new prez at OU is gonna do something radical. 

Arkansas isn’t leaving the SEC. They have been getting pounded for the last few years because of a bad coaching hire. You can’t win the SEC running a B10 system. They have the guy in place now to make them competitive. They have their state to themselves, and they’re positioned well to recruit Texas and Louisiana. The biggest thing is getting some of the politics out of the way, like still having to play one game each year in an undersized stadium in Little Rock. They should stick to the formula of one neutral site game per year, which they already have with A&M. There’s little to no value for them in a move to the Big 12. Poaching ACC teams will also be difficult, because they restructured their memberships after the last round of expansion to require schools pay what amounts to a huge exit fee if they want to leave. 

13 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Arkansas isn’t leaving the SEC...   

Yes, which is why the Big XII's past practice of hitching their wagon to UT has proved to be so disastrous to the overall health of the league. It's like Diet SWC at this point... which I guess is fine for OU because we keep winning the conference and getting a shot at the playoffs, but utimately it may cause some headaches for conference leadership come GOR in a couple years. 

Boren (previous OU president) never wanted to upset the apple cart. He was a limp-wristed career politician and wannabe academic. Galloogly (OU's new prez) comes from the business world and is much more cutthroat. Source say he'd rather OU be a football independent than compromised by weak conference leadership.

Maybe it's all just posturing and rhetoric...  maybe not. 

23 minutes ago, AKA said:

Yes, which is why the Big XII's past practice of hitching their wagon to UT has proved to be so disastrous to the overall health of the league. It's like Diet SWC at this point... which I guess is fine for OU because we keep winning the conference and getting a shot at the playoffs, but utimately it may cause some headaches for conference leadership come GOR in a couple years. 

Boren (previous OU president) never wanted to upset the apple cart. He was a limp-wristed career politician and wannabe academic. Galloogly (OU's new prez) comes from the business world and is much more cutthroat. Source say he'd rather OU be a football independent than compromised by weak conference leadership.

Maybe it's all just posturing and rhetoric...  maybe not. 

OU definitely needs the rest of the Big 12 to step up. UT appears poised to do that. TCU, Okie State and the rest have yet to show any real consistency as contenders. But if they can win more than they lose when going OOC, it helps the ones at the top.