Conference Realignment?

Stoney

19 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

OU definitely needs the rest of the Big 12 to step up. UT appears poised to do that. TCU, Okie State and the rest have yet to show any real consistency as contenders. But if they can win more than they lose when going OOC, it helps the ones at the top. 

They could always go with 8 conference games, 4 oOC games to get an extra team or two bowl eligible.  The Big 12 held their own during Bowl season.  What conference truly has more than 3-4 contenders as you say?  When is the last time OU made it through conf play unscathed?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

They could always go with 8 conference games, 4 oOC games to get an extra team or two bowl eligible.  The Big 12 held their own during Bowl season.  What conference truly has more than 3-4 contenders as you say?  When is the last time OU made it through conf play unscathed?

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I didn’t know we were talking about other conferences. Truthfully, 2 contenders is more than the B10 and PAC12 have combined right now. It certainly appears that the ACC only has one, and saying the SEC has three would be a stretch. I was simply making a point that a team at the top of a conference benefits from the other teams having success. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Lol at you thinking A&M can’t upset the power structure of the SEC. Tcu and A&M are not even remotely comparable. A&M has unlimited resources, top 5 facilities, elite fan base, and just enough history to make them recognizable. Tcu offered extremely limited resources, a 6A high school stadium, a small fan base, and truthfully only had done a couple of good seasons in a kid major in the last 40 years... They aren’t comparable in the slightest. But nice attempt at a blast. 

I just wanted you to fact check the "couple of good seasons in a mid-major conference"...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Patterson  

Since Patterson got there, there wasn't a more recognizable Mid-Major in college football other than Boise St.  

• Like 2

On 1/6/2019 at 8:42 PM, trueblue82 said:

I didn’t know we were talking about other conferences. Truthfully, 2 contenders is more than the B10 and PAC12 have combined right now. It certainly appears that the ACC only has one, and saying the SEC has three would be a stretch. I was simply making a point that a team at the top of a conference benefits from the other teams having success. 

I know what you’re talking about.  The bottom half of the Big12 needs to step up and look more competitive.  I understand, but each team plays everybody in conference, for every winner, there’s a loser.  The only way to change the perception that they’re weaker is to play less conference games and more weak oOC games. The other conferences are prime examples of what you’re talking about.  6-6 teams that would’ve suffered another loss and been 5-7 had they had to play another conference game.  I think the Big12 opened some eyes this bowl season.  Are they the best conference?  Nope but they’re not as bad as some have let on.  

On 1/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, Valhalla said:

Ok, for some reason I thought they’ve had a loss every season lately.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I just wanted you to fact check the "couple of good seasons in a mid-major conference"...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Patterson  

Since Patterson got there, there wasn't a more recognizable Mid-Major in college football other than Boise St.  

But still a mid major.... If you think that success is noteworthy then fine. 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

But still a mid major.... If you think that success is noteworthy then fine. 

On the field and court, TCU has handled their business in the B12.  What they offered in terms of accommodating the masses with revenue generation is the only thing they lack...

they’ve held their own in football.  They’ve dominated baseball.  And their basketball program, which was one of the worst in the country 4-5 years ago is now respectable.  What they don’t have is seating.  That’s it.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:49 AM, MavGrad99 said:

On the field and court, TCU has handled their business in the B12.  What they offered in terms of accommodating the masses with revenue generation is the only thing they lack...

they’ve held their own in football.  They’ve dominated baseball.  And their basketball program, which was one of the worst in the country 4-5 years ago is now respectable.  What they don’t have is seating.  That’s it.

At the end of the day, that is what conference expansion is about. It's not about making the competition in the conference better. It is about tv sets and revenue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

They might not have the seating (enrollment is only little over 9,000, compared to A&M who has over 60k I believe), but boy do they have the $$$$$$... Let me tell ya...

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

They might not have the seating (enrollment is only little over 9,000, compared to A&M who has over 60k I believe), but boy do they have the $$$$$$... Let me tell ya...

They need to fix their football field with some of those dollars. The playing surface is not good.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but you have to keep in mind that conference realignments don't happen just because a school isn't good at football. Football holds a lot of weight, but I think some of y'all are focusing too much on the football aspect. If you truly want to look at how realignments work, you have to account for all of the varsity sports programs.

• Like 1

I think as talk of the playoff expanding to 8 becomes more clear in '21 or '23 or '25, and I think early this spring that will happen...I think conferences may start again jockeying to make some slight move to add schools or gain geographical/tv regional area, whatever they feel they need to do (change conference scheduling rules for games, re-work network contracts, etc).

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Just remember that Patterson is also the coach that A&M tripped over itself wanting long before Jimbo or Sumlin. He is a winner and produces, period. TCU resembles him!

A&M never once offered Patterson a job... I wouldn’t say they “tripped over itself wanting” in the slightest. Sure they acknowledged he was a good coach and some might have wanted him, but he was never pursed or desired like you imply he was...

he was never OFFICIALLY offered the job because as the A&M insiders kept going to him about the job he made it VERY clear he wouldn't leave TCU for A&M (or Texas as I believe they made serious runs at him as well)...he loves what he's built there in Fort Worth and all the other things he has acquired around the university now.

52 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

he was never OFFICIALLY offered the job because as the A&M insiders kept going to him about the job he made it VERY clear he wouldn't leave TCU for A&M (or Texas as I believe they made serious runs at him as well)...he loves what he's built there in Fort Worth and all the other things he has acquired around the university now.

You sir, are incorrect. But carry on. 

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You sir, are incorrect. But carry on. 

I think Patterson was a name thrown out there by the media because it sounded good... to the media. I don't think both camps were interested in making that move. 

I could be wrong. I'm sure you know more Wet

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I think Patterson was a name thrown out there by the media because it sounded good... to the media. I don't think both camps were interested in making that move. 

I could be wrong. I'm sure you know more Wet

That’s right. Everyone just assumes that Texas and A&M both were “tripping over themselves” to lure Patterson away from TCU. I can’t speak for Texas, but A&M did not pursue Patterson in either of its last 3 coaching searches. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

That’s right. Everyone just assumes that Texas and A&M both were “tripping over themselves” to lure Patterson away from TCU. I can’t speak for Texas, but A&M did not pursue Patterson in either of its last 3 coaching searches. 

I thought so. 

I'm not sure where the rumors of him going to Texas came from either. Herman had the job and Strong was out when the clock hit 00:00 against Kansas... lol

I usually have a clever realignment....  but here is my newest proposal...

Rank the top 60 teams...  Throw them in FBS, no conferences and a randomly generated schedule with only FBS teams...  Top 8 records at the end of the year get to battle it out for the National title...  Problem solved... the end... good day!  I SAID GOOD DAY!

• LOL! 1

57 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I usually have a clever realignment....  but here is my newest proposal...

Rank the top 60 teams...  Throw them in FBS, no conferences and a randomly generated schedule with only FBS teams...  Top 8 records at the end of the year get to battle it out for the National title...  Problem solved... the end... good day!  I SAID GOOD DAY!

You’ll still have some random school like the University of North East Central Rhode Island Technical School of Agriculture and Science for the Chronically Stupid complaining that they should have been included in the top 60. 

• LOL! 1

23 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

You’ll still have some random school like the University of North East Central Rhode Island Technical School of Agriculture and Science for the Chronically Stupid complaining that they should have been included in the top 60. 

Not to mention their annoying rivals: the University of North East Central Rhode Island Tech A&M, who can't stand to be ranked behind them in anything

• LOL! 2