College Football Playoff

Lobo97

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, Valhalla said:

The high school playoffs aren't special. Teams with losing records make it every year. An 0-10 team made the playoffs at one point a few years ago. 

The NFL is the same way. A 9-7 team shouldn't be in the playoffs. 

I want the BEST team to win the championship, not the team who got hot for 3 weeks after being mediocre all year.

You have got to be kidding.  "The high school playoffs aren't special."  Really?  There are about 126 High School 5AD2 teams in Texas.  There are about the same number of teams in the FCS, I think 125.  So by your logic, the UIL would be just as well off to put together a committee to select the best four 5AD2 teams and they will play and it will be as good or better than it is now.  Ridiculous!  Plenty of champions have come from the ranks you would leave out and I'm betting the same would hold true in the college ranks.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

You have got to be kidding.  "The high school playoffs aren't special."  Really?  There are about 126 High School 5AD2 teams in Texas.  There are about the same number of teams in the FCS, I think 125.  So by your logic, the UIL would be just as well off to put together a committee to select the best four 5AD2 teams and they will play and it will be as good or better than it is now.  Ridiculous!  Plenty of champions have come from the ranks you would leave out and I'm betting the same would hold true in the college ranks.

It would be better if they only took District Champions.

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Way wrong here Valhalla. 2016 Carthage placed third in district and won state. There are other examples of teams finishing second or worse in their district and winning state that same year.

When you have a one and done tournament anything can happen.

8 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Way wrong here Valhalla. 2016 Carthage placed third in district and won state. There are other examples of teams finishing second or worse in their district and winning state that same year.

I remember La Marque finishing 4th in their district in 2010 (had to win to get in) and marched all the way to state to face Aledo. 

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

that's right because every district is the same! just ask the UNDEFEATED district champ that 4th place Gilmer pounded the life out of in the first round of the playoffs 🤪

For every one of those. There is ten 3-7 or 4-6 teams in the playoffs. That shouldn’t be there.

It's good for the players, the schools, the communities, and the entire State of Texas high school football.  Lots of boys get scholarships to schools they would not get a chance to attend without this system in place.  I don't see anything here but benefits......Texas high school products also lead the NFL in Qb's.  What are you talking about, Huh?

back to the college playoff talk for a moment...

I can't help but laugh about some of the pundits that continue to say that with four teams "we have got it right each year". Certain years the #4 have come through and won, etc. The experts have then pointed and said well see we have got it right, top 4 teams...we got it right but we have no idea whether if there were 8 teams every year that a #6 or #7 or #8 in some of those years (teams that actually were 10-2 or around that and dang good, maybe a team "rising", coming together at the right time) storms to a national title. 

do we ever give Virginia Commonwealth or Wichita State or Butler (yes, more of a chance now) to win a national title in basketball? not much, but it's dang exciting to see those teams fight to a final 4 and show their 28-4 (equivalent to football's 11-1)  is a WOW season.

just a thought...