College Football Playoff

Lobo97

12 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Odd that this thread hasn't been created yet. 

Predictions for the playoff? Does OU have any chance at beating Bama? Does ND have any chance at beating Clemson?

I'm a Longhorn fan but I would love to see OU beat the dog mess out of Alabama just to knock the SEC :BS: down a couple of notches .... I think Clemson beats ND handily ....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Odd that this thread hasn't been created yet. 

Predictions for the playoff? Does OU have any chance at beating Bama? Does ND have any chance at beating Clemson?

We're all too busy showing WHY this is or ISN'T a real playoff to actually talk about it.......:rofl:

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

I'm a Longhorn fan but I would love to see OU beat the dog mess out of Alabama...

I'm a Sooner fan but that ain't happening.

The only possible, shock the world, USA vs. USSR in Olympic hockey do you believe in miracles scenario would be something akin to the the OU just played...  that is: 'Bama makes several blunders on offense, OU makes just enough big plays to stay in it, and then late in the game the Tide uncharacteristically collapses. 

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

....I think Clemson beats ND handily...

Same.

15 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

It’s Alabama’s and Clemon’s world right now in college football and we are all just existing in it.

I agree that Clemson is probably the only team in the country capable of challenging a BAMA team that plays to its potential. Dabo has built an awesome program there. Although I would love to see Tua win the Heisman, and I do believe he deserves it, part of me would like to see him get snubbed for Kyler (also deserving) purely for the motivation factor in it. I think BAMA’s defense will play much harder  if the Heisman winner is lined up across from them as opposed to having him standing on their sideline. I also believe it’s the kind of thing that plays into the “us against the world” mentality that Saban has worked to instill in his players this year. Also, with a very few exceptions (Cam Newton, Matt Leinhart), Heisman winning QBs tend not to play well in national championship scenarios. If the Heisman winner is gonna lay an egg, I’d much rather it be Kyler than Tua. 

Personally, I think Alabama will beat Oklahoma by 20+. Oklahoma’s defense won’t stop Alabama one time, and they will have success controlling Oklahoma’s receivers. 

I think Murray deserves the Heisman though. He performed great under pressure more often than Tua. Murray had to play basically perfect for Oklahoma to win. 

48 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Personally, I think Alabama will beat Oklahoma by 20+. Oklahoma’s defense won’t stop Alabama one time, and they will have success controlling Oklahoma’s receivers. 

I think Murray deserves the Heisman though. He performed great under pressure more often than Tua. Murray had to play basically perfect for Oklahoma to win. 

I’m mixed on this. On one side I think Kyler is deserving. On the other side I see how Tua put up the numbers he did while basically playing on 2.5 quarters of football every game this season... If he had played the entire game for most games like Kyler did, this wouldn’t even really be a debate. That being said, I believe the Heisman should go to the best player not the best statistical guy or the best player on the best team. And gun to my head, I believe Tua is better than Kyler. 

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

It appears that Tua opened the door with a subpar performance in the SECCG, while Kyler had a great game leading OU to the Big12 title. If Tua throws for his usual 275+ and 3 TDs and BAMA blows out UGA, there’s not much reason for anyone else to go to New York. But BAMA ain’t about individual awards, and Nick will use the snub as motivation. 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

When OU and Alabama played in 2013, no one gave OU a chance then either. Vegas even set the spread at 16.5! OU won by 14. 

Yeah! A game 5 years ago with different implications, different players, and 1 different coach has quite an impact here!

That said, I could totally see OU winning this game because their offense is so wild.  

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yeah! A game 5 years ago with different implications, different players, and 1 different coach has quite an impact here!

That said, I could totally see OU winning this game because their offense is so wild.  

I agree with you 100%. BAMA will definitely need to clean things up from their SECCG performance. 

9 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

You missed my point. I wasn't comparing the teams, I was comparing the situation. I could just as easily use an NFL game to make the same point (I just wanted to use a game with the same two teams)...Cowboys - Saints. Point is, this is why you play the game.

Do I think OU wins? No. But to your point, I think they're capable. Ans that's why I brought up that game; because most people seem to think they don't have a chance here either. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I'm a Longhorn fan but I would love to see OU beat the dog mess out of Alabama just to knock the SEC :BS: down a couple of notches .... I think Clemson beats ND handily ....

I could say the exact same thing...except say I'm an A&M grad too on top of it to make it even more confusing. I think if Tua isn't healthy and I could see in the first series he wasn't right (not pushing off into passes...that's why they were floating inaccurately, etc). I think Alabama will not be the same high powered offense as they have been. They may have a tough time holding Oklahoma down...can they withstand the early Sooner barrage?  

2 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I could say the exact same thing...except say I'm an A&M grad too on top of it to make it even more confusing. I think if Tua isn't healthy and I could see in the first series he wasn't right (not pushing off into passes...that's why they were floating inaccurately, etc). I think Alabama will not be the same high powered offense as they have been. They may have a tough time holding Oklahoma down...can they withstand the early Sooner barrage?  

Bama's d-line should be able to press the pocket with just a four-man rush. As good as OU's line has been this season, they haven't had to face a line like Alabama.

As a result of this, the linebackers will be able to keep OU running backs from breaking big runs. Kyler might be able to slip out for 5- and 10-yard scrambles, but Sermon and Brooks are gonna be held to around 2-3 yards a rush. 

As a result of this, Kyler is going to have to throw the ball early and often. Without Hollywood Brown stretching the secondary, Kyler is going to have to settle for short slant routes. But he's going to force the deep ball anyway, which is why he'll get picked off 3-4 times this game. 

As a result of this, Alabama is not going to have to "outgun" OU's offense. Rather they'll be able to play their game. Jalen Hurts doesn't have to be Tua. OU won't be able to contain the zone-read or even straight-ahead run plays. Alabama might have 300+ yards rushing. 

This one won't be close, and it won't be a shootout. 

41 minutes ago, AKA said:

Bama's d-line should be able to press the pocket with just a four-man rush. As good as OU's line has been this season, they haven't had to face a line like Alabama.

As a result of this, the linebackers will be able to keep OU running backs from breaking big runs. Kyler might be able to slip out for 5- and 10-yard scrambles, but Sermon and Brooks are gonna be held to around 2-3 yards a rush. 

As a result of this, Kyler is going to have to throw the ball early and often. Without Hollywood Brown stretching the secondary, Kyler is going to have to settle for short slant routes. But he's going to force the deep ball anyway, which is why he'll get picked off 3-4 times this game. 

As a result of this, Alabama is not going to have to "outgun" OU's offense. Rather they'll be able to play their game. Jalen Hurts doesn't have to be Tua. OU won't be able to contain the zone-read or even straight-ahead run plays. Alabama might have 300+ yards rushing. 

This is what I don't understand. A lot of people keep making this argument, and arguments similar to it, such as 'Alabama's D will be better than any OU has faced this season'. Okay, while that is all true, there is still the other side of this that people are negating to realize....OU's offense is better than anything Alabama's D has faced. Oklahoma's offense is explosive; very explosive. This is not the same offense that put 48 on a Georgia defense last year that ranked #4 in the country, only 1.5 points more than Bama gave up. This offense is better. 

So here's where your entire breakdown could be broken:

What if Alabama's DL does not get a lot of pressure on Murray? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKA said:

While I agree with you on about 95% of this, I do think OU's offense will give Bama some fits. They are very, VERY fast. And they have receivers who can make plays. If Hollywood Brown somehow doesn't play, then that's a killer. If he's available, that's a lot Bama will have to think about considering they haven't played an offense like OU's all season as Lobo mentioned. I still think Alabama wins this handily mainly because of that bogus OU defense, but OU will score points because Kyler is such a huge threat in literally every way possible.  

I might have to go home sick from work just from complimenting OU that much. I'm not well.

• LOL! 1