College Football Playoff

Lobo97

1 minute ago, Everide2016 said:

Wrong.  Too many examples of other levels (actually all other levels) of football doing it with many more teams and they're more special.  Why not make the NFL, HS, and other college levels only 4 teams in their "playoff" so they can be as "special?"  Because the 4 team approach isn't special.   

There are only 32 NFL teams and there are hundreds of high school teams in Texas. Apples and oranges.

Also, having 1-9 teams playing in the playoffs in Texas High School Football is an absolute joke. FBS needs to go to 8 teams. That'd have all 5 of the P5 champions and 3 at-large teams in the off-chance that a midmajor goes undefeated ala UCF. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

That's a prime example showing why the playoff should be at least 16 or even 32 teams.  Any team can get on a hot streak and knock off a team that all of us thought was better.  That's why HS playoffs are so good, if you can just get your foot in the door, you have a chance to upset a so called legitimate contender.  The NCAA and those big schools that have the real control don't want to upset the apple cart and risk this, that's a large part of why they're so resistant to opening that door even a little. 

But that's the thing. An undeserving team shouldn't win in the playoffs simply because they "got their foot in the door" and another team had an off game. The champion should be the best team. There's a reason sports like baseball play a 7-game series... So that some team doesn't luck their way into a title. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Which is the difference from going undefeated in the G5 and competing in a P5 conference.

Yes, but it doesn’t mean they can’t compete in a one time opportunity.  I think the playoff should expand to 8.  Five P5 champs, highest ranked G5 champ and 2 at large

20 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Wrong.  Too many examples of other levels (actually all other levels) of football doing it with many more teams and they're more special.  Why not make the NFL, HS, and other college levels only 4 teams in their "playoff" so they can be as "special?"  Because the 4 team approach isn't special.   

The high school playoffs aren't special. Teams with losing records make it every year. An 0-10 team made the playoffs at one point a few years ago. 

The NFL is the same way. A 9-7 team shouldn't be in the playoffs. 

I want the BEST team to win the championship, not the team who got hot for 3 weeks after being mediocre all year.

56 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Based off your opinion of what fair is.

based on logic ... 

I believe the current phony playoff, "invitational tournament", is nothing more than "collusion" between the Big 5 conferences and the NCAA to exclude the perceived "lesser conferences" and will eventually be challenged successfully in court ...

4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

It was 2

Now it's 4

Next, it will be 8

Then it will be 16

Then 32

It will never stop

The first team who is left out will always complain that they "deserve" to be in. 

Put a cap on it at 16 and let’s enjoy a decent playoff. Anybody ranked outside the top 16 has no business being in a playoff and no one would have a difficult time accepting that. 

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Put a cap on it at 16 and let’s enjoy a decent playoff. Anybody ranked outside the top 16 has no business being in a playoff and no one would have a difficult time accepting that. 

West Virginia was #16 this year. They had no business being in the playoff.

• Like 1

I agree with @JohnnyFootball that 8 would be perfect. 

I continue to hear people make the claim that if you expand it any further, the regular season will not mean anything. To that I say this....under the current format, the regular season doesn't mean anything now. Not when non conference champions get in over conference champions. And with that, I do believe with 8 teams...the Power 5 conference champions, and 3 at large...you have now made the regular season mean more than it has, probably ever. It would not mean something to win your conference, making every conference game matter, getting rid of this notion of, losing early is better. Winning and losing will matter. With the at large, who you decide to play OOC will also matter. Especially if they put stipulations on it that you must finish within the top 12 (for example) to qualify. 

How is this not better? 

I'll also add, however, that I do believe there is a number that would be too many for college football. Is it 10? 12? 16? 24? I don't know, but my opinion is 8 would be perfect. 

Oh, and before the comment is made that expanding the playoff will make the rest of the bowls meaningless....Most of the lower tier bowls already are. And they've been that was since before the current playoff. The final year before the playoff, 11 bowl games had attendance of less than 40K, and 5 had less than 25K. 

16 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Oh, and before the comment is made that expanding the playoff will make the rest of the bowls meaningless....Most of the lower tier bowls already are. And they've been that was since before the current playoff. The final year before the playoff, 11 bowl games had attendance of less than 40K, and 5 had less than 25K. 

The Bowls have always been meaningless for the most part.

It makes the regular season matter less.

My only issue with the playoffs now are not that some conference champions are left out, it's that some undefeated teams are left out. Yes, we all know that UCF's schedule was weak. As was Boise State's in 2006/2009, TCU's in 2010, BYU in 1984, etc. But that said, if a team is undefeated, they at least deserve a shot.... More than a team with a loss. A team can cry all they want about being left out, but they were in control of their destiny and lost. Ohio State.... I don't feel bad for those teams complaining about being passed up by Oklahoma. They lost games. I do wish UCF would've at least had a chance because otherwise, you're telling teams at the start of the season that it doesn't matter what they do, they won't be champions. 

I feel like 8 teams would get the P5 conferences in and if there were an undefeated team like UCF, they'd guarantee their shot. Rarely are there more than 3 midmajors who go undefeated, so 8 would pretty well make it happen. And if Alabama or Michigan or whoever cries that they were left out with 1 loss while undefeated UCF got in, that's tough. They didn't handle business on the field. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

And I just explained how an 8 team playoff (if done right) makes it better. 

But it doesn’t.

If every conference was set up like the Big 12 maybe. 

In the conferences with true divisions then a lot times one of the division winners does not deserve to be in the playoff.

If 7-5 Utah upsets 11-1 Washington in the PAC title game it doesn’t need mean they deserve to be in the playoff.

Just now, Valhalla said:

But it doesn’t.

If every conference was set up like the Big 12 maybe. 

In the conferences with true divisions then a lot times one of the division winners does not deserve to be in the playoff.

If 7-5 Utah upsets 11-1 Washington in the PAC title game it doesn’t need mean they deserve to be in the playoff.

And that's what the 3 at large bids would be for. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

My only issue with the playoffs now are not that some conference champions are left out, it's that some undefeated teams are left out. Yes, we all know that UCF's schedule was weak. As was Boise State's in 2006/2009, TCU's in 2010, BYU in 1984, etc. But that said, if a team is undefeated, they at least deserve a shot.... More than a team with a loss. A team can cry all they want about being left out, but they were in control of their destiny and lost. Ohio State.... I don't feel bad for those teams complaining about being passed up by Oklahoma. They lost games. I do wish UCF would've at least had a chance because otherwise, you're telling teams at the start of the season that it doesn't matter what they do, they won't be champions. 

I feel like 8 teams would get the P5 conferences in and if there were an undefeated team like UCF, they'd guarantee their shot. Rarely are there more than 3 midmajors who go undefeated, so 8 would pretty well make it happen. And if Alabama or Michigan or whoever cries that they were left out with 1 loss while undefeated UCF got in, that's tough. They didn't handle business on the field. 

Agree with all aspects of this. The argument can be made about an undefeated mid-major's schedule, but if we're not going to give an undefeated team a chance, then why even have them in Division 1? You may as well take all teams in non P5 conferences and put them in their own division so they at least have a chance to accomplish something.