MavGrad's Ultimate Bowl Preview 2018-19

Coach Rab

Just a note, I will not preview ALL of the games.  Just the ones that Interest me.  All BOWL discussions and post not related to specific games can go here.  Make this thread your own!

NEW MEXICO BOWL  December 15th, 2:00pm

North Texas vs Utah St  

North Texas is a hot team with a great thing going.  Will they ever hit that elite status?  Doubtful.  BUT, the way things are going right now, I don't see this game being a speed bump.  UNT by 10.

LAS VEGAS BOWL  December 15th, 3:30pm

Arizona St vs Fresno St

When we started the year, there was a lot of talk about how Herm was going to crash and burn and Stumblin Sumlin should thrive...  Well, the complete opposite happened this year.  Arizona looks like a well-coached, and well-organized team while the Wildcats look like a hot mess.  I honestly don't know much about Fresno other than their good record and solid history, so I am taking the Sun Devils by 6.

ARMED FORCES BOWL  December 22nd, 3:30pm

Army vs Houston

Do you like the 0-stars Army with well-oiled, well-disciplined play execution, or do you like the ultra talented, multi-set speedy offense of Houston?  I will take Army in a flyer... let's say by 3.

CHEEZ-IT BOWL  December 26th, 9:00pm

TCU vs California

Give Patterson a month to prepare for a team that isn't that great...  I will take the horny frogs by 2 TDs.

TEXAS BOWL  December 27th, 9:00pm

Baylor vs Vanderbilt

I said this on another thread, but this game will be tight and close the entire way.  While neither of these teams have an offense that will make this one of those exciting 99-98 final scores, they make up for it in defense...  I will take Vandy in a 9-7 win over Baylor.

TAXSLAYER BOWL  December 31st, 7:30pm

Texas A&M vs NC State

There is an entire thread for this one, so lets just say Aggies by 13.

PEACH BOWL  December 29th, 12:00pm

Michigan vs Florida

This game could be nice... could be a disaster.  While Harbaugh had a great season, I think he could still get fired if he loses this one...  Who is the better team?  Michigan.  No doubt about it...  BUT... One thing we know about Dan Mullen and his DC is that they don't leave anything out of the playbook.  They will risk a blowout at the chance for a good sack or Turnover...  I will take Michigan... but thats just playing it safer than Dan Mullen.

FIESTA BOWL  January 1st, 1:00pm

LSU vs Cental Florida

Nothing will make me pick Central Florida.  Not because they can't win.  Not because of my LSU bias etc...  but only because they don't match up.  Their best player is hurt.  Maybe 2 of these kids would even compete to start at LSU right now...  BUT they are impressive... However, LSU should control the game and win... but we said this last year.  I expect an LSU win in a close one.

ROSE BOWL  January 1st, 5:00pm

Ohio St vs Washington

Meyer's last game...  no way Ohio St players lose this one.  Buckeyes by 10.

SUGAR BOWL  January 1st, 8:45pm

Texas vs Georgia

You've noticed a theme here.  I have been picking safe wins...  Georgia is the flashier team with flashier wins and their only losses were to LSU (Fiesta Bowl) and Alabama (CFB #1 team).  Then you have Texas, with a loss to OU and WVU and Maryland.  I give that Maryland loss a scratch... no one remembers it and it looks like an outlier.  While I think Georgia struggles to run the ball vs Texas, I like their defense vs Ehlinger.  I am going with the DAWGS by 6.

PLAYOFFS!?!

COTTON BOWL  December 29th, 4:00pm

Clemson vs Notre Dame

This is the only upset that I think can possibly happen.  Notre Dame has some Manti Teo talent on their squad.  Meaning, I think they are a very solid team, but no one outstanding.  Brian Kelley has done a fantastic job with this team to get them here.  Clemson still has that massive NFL Defensive Line and could cause some problems for Notre Dame... but I think its their offense that wins it.  Clemson by 14.

ORANGE BOWL  December 29th, 8:00pm

Alabama vs Oklahoma

We are likely to see Heisman 1 vs Heisman 2 here.  I am not sure you can throw anyone else into that race...  It is clear that both team's offenses are the 2 best in the NCAA, but 1 team has a proven defense... and I just don't trust Oklahoma to limit Bama's scoring... So I will take Bama by 20.  (sorry sooner fans).

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

I don’t think Georgia will struggle running the ball on Texas, but I agree with almost all the rest of those previews. 

Texas did a good job controlling Oklahoma’s run game in both games they played. 

I don’t think it crazy to think that they will have success in stopping the Georgia run game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Texas did a good job controlling Oklahoma’s run game in both games they played. 

I don’t think it crazy to think that they will have success in stopping the Georgia run game.

Different types of running games. 

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

True, but Oklahoma has a superior offensive line than Georgia does. 

Compared to big 12 front 7s... Georgia just ran decently on Alabama. Trxas front 7 looks like a JV compared to that. 

OU has a very good offensive line, but Georgia’s is built on power and running. I don’t think Texas has the beef up front to stop them without committing safety help, and Fromm is too good of QB to leave your Dbs on an island like that. 

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

Compared to big 12 front 7s... Georgia just ran decently on Alabama. Trxas front 7 looks like a JV compared to that. 

OU has a very good offensive line, but Georgia’s is built on power and running. I don’t think Texas has the beef up front to stop them without committing safety help, and Fromm is too good of QB to leave your Dbs on an island like that. 

The Texas CBs played on an island in every Big12 game. After facing Murray (twice), Grier, and Cornelius with the country’s best WRs, Fromm and his crew won’t change Texas’ normal game plan on the backend of the defense. 

• Like 1

I think Texas has a much better shot to win this game than people are giving them. 

Texas has played to their competition all year, whether up or down. And when they've been their best, they've looked like they can play with anyone. The question will be, will they do it for 4 quarters. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I think Texas has a much better shot to win this game than people are giving them. 

Texas has played to their competition all year, whether up or down. And when they've been their best, they've looked like they can play with anyone. The question will be, will they do it for 4 quarters. 

Bingo. A lot of people make statements like Texas struggled with Tulsa or KState, but that wasn't really the case. Texas' biggest issue was playing complete games. Good thing that Texas had enough talent to overcome that problem most of the season, but it was still a problem. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 5:57 PM, WETSU said:

I don’t think Georgia will struggle running the ball on Texas, but I agree with almost all the rest of those previews. 

your allegiances, biases, and slant are well noted...I too think Texas with their strong defense will shutdown the run and I don't think Georgia can throw it all over the place (I think Texas will get Kris Boyd lined back out in these next 4 weeks - his EARLY mental mistakes have been tough) -- this is gonna be a close game...much tighter than Georgia will want, I just hope Ehlinger has the ball and the Horns are within 6 with under two minutes left so the Dawgs, the Aggies, and most of the SEC folks n*ts are tightening up saying "crud these guys are going to win after we talked so much smack".

See, my thing is Texas has played exceptional passing offenses, offenses period all year and are used to seeing the best on that side coming at them.

Georgia offense will not intimidate the Texas defense. 

Think about the way the Texas offense plays. Unless Georgia can crush through and get Ehlinger Tebow down then do they have a defensive backfield that's big enough to handle Lil' Jordan Humphrey and Colin Johnson as they get those high balls over and over and over again? Then you get the little screen passes to quick backs to offset it...then Sam Freight-Trains for 60 or so yards and a TD anywhere within 7 to 11 yards.

Could be a good day...

35 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

your allegiances, biases, and slant are well noted...I too think Texas with their strong defense will shutdown the run and I don't think Georgia can throw it all over the place (I think Texas will get Kris Boyd lined back out in these next 4 weeks - his EARLY mental mistakes have been tough) -- this is gonna be a close game...much tighter than Georgia will want, I just hope Ehlinger has the ball and the Horns are within 6 with under two minutes left so the Dawgs, the Aggies, and most of the SEC folks n*ts are tightening up saying "crud these guys are going to win after we talked so much smack".

We shall see. Just don’t disappear if you’re wrong. You really haven’t been around until Texas started winning the second half of the season....

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ve seen bigger crowds at Ram Stadium in Joaquin than the one in Orlando for the AutoNation Cure Bowl between ULL and Tulane. The Camelia Bowl is a good game. 

I'm not sure that is possible with the size of Joaquin's visitor stands lol.

8 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I’ve seen bigger crowds at Ram Stadium in Joaquin than the one in Orlando for the AutoNation Cure Bowl between ULL and Tulane. The Camelia Bowl is a good game. 

I was just about to post something about that Cure Bowl game crowd. Smh do the Florida locals not like football after the regular season?? Gonna be more games like that, and they say we need more bowl games, yeah right. 

3 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I was just about to post something about that Cure Bowl game crowd. Smh do the Florida locals not like football after the regular season?? Gonna be more games like that, and they say we need more bowl games, yeah right. 

Idk. Maybe the idea of watching two 6-6 teams from Louisiana battle it out just doesn’t get them fired up. If you think about it, Florida is saturated with bowl games. I can name at least 8 in the state without scratching my head. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 3:49 AM, MrBuddyGarrity said:

What if those Toilet Bowl games were part of a playoff system featuring a top-seed versus a bottom seed? 

I bet they'd sell more tickets and get more eyeballs on the TV. 

On 12/5/2018 at 5:23 PM, MavGrad99 said:

ORANGE BOWL  December 29th, 8:00pm

Alabama vs Oklahoma

We are likely to see Heisman 1 vs Heisman 2 here.  I am not sure you can throw anyone else into that race...  It is clear that both team's offenses are the 2 best in the NCAA, but 1 team has a proven defense... and I just don't trust Oklahoma to limit Bama's scoring... So I will take Bama by 20.  (sorry sooner fans).

No apologies necessary. Our season has peaked. We should feel grateful. I literally could not ask for more. We made it to the playoffs, we avenged an earlier loss to UT, and Mike Stoops is no longer our DC. Shoot, we even won another Heisman as a consolation prize. 2018 was a tremendous success for Sooner fans!

Granted, we're going to get absolutely destroyed on national television against Alabama, but that's okay! Hopefully this utter destruction of our laughably pathetic defense help gives Castiglione (and the OU top brass/donors) the extra incentive not to go cheap on the new defensive staff. We need to clean house completely. I don't want some surprising upstart performance from our defense to complicate things. 

Alabama: 55
Oklahoma: 31