MavGrad's Ultimate Bowl Preview 2018-19

Coach Rab

2 hours ago, DTrump said:

Neither was LSU with all the injuries on defense. Then, add the ejections and dumb penalties by LSU and you have a close game. 

Wasn’t saying that I think it would’ve won them the game necessarily.  It just showed the difference in depth.  They played a pretty good game against a good LSU team.  Burrow looked pretty solid today

The new "targeting" rule is really taking away from the game in my opinion.   There have been some very questionable calls to say the least that cost teams key players.   It has gotten out of hand to the point where defensive backs are almost afraid to make a tackle for fear of being ejected for targeting.  I am all for protecting players, but the targeting rule needs to be adjusted to where only flagrant hits result in ejections ... The speed the game is played, it's almost impossible to keep from getting called for targeting on far too many tackles.  It also slows down the game and the penalty is far too severe on questionable calls where defensive players are not making contact with malicious intent ... something needs to be done to modify the rules/penalties ...

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The new "targeting" rule is really taking away from the game in my opinion.   There have been some very questionable calls to say the least that cost teams key players.   It has gotten out of hand to the point where defensive backs are almost afraid to make a tackle for fear of being ejected for targeting.  I am all for protecting players, but the targeting rule needs to be adjusted to where only flagrant hits result in ejections ... The speed the game is played, it's almost impossible to keep from getting called for targeting on far too many tackles.  It also slows down the game and the penalty is far too severe on questionable calls where defensive players are not making contact with malicious intent ... something needs to be done to modify the rules/penalties ...

Yep. I absolutely hate it. Especially when you have a penalty with THAT much of a punishment and you see another player make a FAR more egregious hit in another game and it not be called. 

Ticket prices for the National Championship Game have gone wayyyy down. Levi Stadium is an awful choice for the game to be played, especially when both fan bases have to travel cross country just to go. I know they have this planned in advance, but idk how they could think Levi Stadium would be a good spot. Only place in Cali worth traveling that far is the Rose Bowl. 

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Ticket prices for the National Championship Game have gone wayyyy down. Levi Stadium is an awful choice for the game to be played, especially when both fan bases have to travel cross country just to go. I know they have this planned in advance, but idk how they could think Levi Stadium would be a good spot. Only place in Cali worth traveling that far is the Rose Bowl. 

And its relatively in the middle of nowhere.

21 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. I absolutely hate it. Especially when you have a penalty with THAT much of a punishment and you see another player make a FAR more egregious hit in another game and it not be called. 

It’s too inconsistent.  I don’t mind the rule if they’d quit trying to use their interpretation of  “intent”.  Devante Davis was flagged for it and ejected the other night.  You could tell he was trying to cut the legs out from under the guy, in the process he did hit the guy with the crown of the helmet as the guy was leaning over.  To me that isn’t targeting, that’s just a football play that happened quickly.  The very next play his replacement (Cook I think) went into the qb after he was sliding and led with his head and shoulders.  Call it personal foul, targeting, whatever, that’s the type of stuff that needs removed from the game.  Fromm was giving himself up on the play and was tattooed.  I wouldn’t have an issue with that being the standard for targeting.  Too many times an offensive player’s ducks their head to contact and targeting is called

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

It’s too inconsistent.  I don’t mind the rule if they’d quit trying to use their interpretation of  “intent”.  Devante Davis was flagged for it and ejected the other night.  You could tell he was trying to cut the legs out from under the guy, in the process he did hit the guy with the crown of the helmet as the guy was leaning over.  To me that isn’t targeting, that’s just a football play that happened quickly.  The very next play his replacement (Cook I think) went into the qb after he was sliding and led with his head and shoulders.  Call it personal foul, targeting, whatever, that’s the type of stuff that needs removed from the game.  Fromm was giving himself up on the play and was tattooed.  I wouldn’t have an issue with that being the standard for targeting.  Too many times an offensive player’s ducks their head to contact and targeting is called

Ejection is too sever a penalty on many of these subjective fast moving non-malicious intent plays ... if they want to call unnecessary roughness fine, but a lot of these plays are just as much a result of a sudden change of direction by the offensive player as anything the defensive player does ...

On 1/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, MavGrad99 said:

If we want to expand on that... Power 5 vs Power 5

ACC 2-4
B10  5-4
B12  4-3
PAC  3-3
SEC 5-5

Welp.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...18-bowl-season

Best bowl records -- Power 5 Conferences

Big 12: 4-3 (.571) 
Big Ten: 5-4 (.556) 
ACC: 6-5 (.545)
SEC: 6-6 (.500) 
Pac-12: 3-4 (.429)

The Big 12 clinched the best postseason record when Clemson defeated Alabama 44-16 in the College Football Playoff final.

The Big 12 easily had the best record against the spread this bowl season, per VegasInsider.com.

The only team not to win against the spread was West Virginia, which was without All-Big 12 QB Will Grier for its game against Syracuse. 

Best bowl records (against the spread) -- Power 5 Conferences

Big 12: 6-1 (.857) 
ACC: 7-3 (.700) 
SEC: 5-6 (.455) 
Big Ten: 4-5 (.444) 
Pac-12: 2-5 (.286)

25 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The Big XII definitely looked good in bowl season. The SEC pooped the bed in the big games. LSU, A&M, Auburn, and Florida did well. 

Florida is on the rise. Mullen has done a good job with that program. I think the East will be competitive again with Georgia, Florida and Kentucky (surprisingly).