Newton (13-0) vs. East Bernard (13-1), Class 3A (D-II) Semifinals

Eagles97

Newton vs EB  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 3A Div II State Finals?

• East Bernard Brahmas
    • Newton Eagles

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 01:00 AM

2 hours ago, Newtonres7586 said:

What's wrong with Barlow. He ain't runnng like his Normal self. Is it his shoulder? He hasn't run well in two weeks imo.

However, Newton I'm proud of you. You were up to the challenge!!!

Peace out everybody.

I'll tell you exactly what was up with Barlow tonight. EB had outstanding OLB play and 2 shut down corners. They had 4 guys shut down everything to the outside by staying home in the 9 tech and getting off blocks. 7 and 2 played man to the outside and was better than Newton's receivers so it left 7 men to defend the box and force newton to setup plays. Once the Newton DC figured out that the DT's would not follow the pulling Guard and tackle outside that's when Newton was able to start moving the ball and get a drive going. But that said 12 for EB might have been the best MLB Newton faced all year. Defensively Newton was solid the entire game...mental mistakes cost them that last TD. 33 seems to lose composure really easily and once he does looks like a couple others feed off of it and follow right behind him. Once again Newton's true best player and savoir was and is Sylvester. He will be a beast at DT in college. The more I watch him the more he reminds me of ex Arp player and Baylor's starting DT Tyrone Hunt whom is expected to picked in the late 2nd to 3rd round in this years draft. similar builds at that age.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nick2011 said:

Awesome job EB, gained a bunch of respect from me tonight. That Newton team is on another level and EB brought it to them all night for 48 minutes. Hats off to them. 

Good luck in State Newton, and congratulations on the win! 

Well lookie here. When big nick speaks...it must be real. 

WR has 7 or 8 SC trophies on 24/7/365 watch. 

When Nick speaks....make sure to listen boys because  he knows!!!!

Cept for the Sabine game (mud) and the game against the cupcakes (forgot the excuse on that one).  Those never happened.  Otherwise, he’s omnipotent no doubt. 

Owlfred made idiotic comments.  His comments are not reflective of EB. The Newton kids, coaching staff, seemed very classy. They are a great team I knew they would be. I wish Brown would’ve played for Newton, and EB would’ve had #22 (injured in Regional) and #5 would’ve played after the half. This EB team got so much better throughout the year. I said it earlier in this forum, EB will not quit it was just a matter if they could limit Newton’s explosiveness.  That was a great game, good luck Newton in state, hopefully we meet again next year

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JK4404 said:

Owlfred made idiotic comments.  His comments are not reflective of EB. The Newton kids, coaching staff, seemed very classy. They are a great team I knew they would be. I wish Brown would’ve played for Newton, and EB would’ve had #22 (injured in Regional) and #5 would’ve played after the half. This EB team got so much better throughout the year. I said it earlier in this forum, EB will not quit it was just a matter if they could limit Newton’s explosiveness.  That was a great game, good luck Newton in state, hopefully we meet again next year

Much Respect and congrats on a great season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tiger1995 said:

I'll tell you exactly what was up with Barlow tonight. EB had outstanding OLB play and 2 shut down corners. They had 4 guys shut down everything to the outside by staying home in the 9 tech and getting off blocks. 7 and 2 played man to the outside and was better than Newton's receivers so it left 7 men to defend the box and force newton to setup plays. Once the Newton DC figured out that the DT's would not follow the pulling Guard and tackle outside that's when Newton was able to start moving the ball and get a drive going. But that said 12 for EB might have been the best MLB Newton faced all year. Defensively Newton was solid the entire game...mental mistakes cost them that last TD. 33 seems to lose composure really easily and once he does looks like a couple others feed off of it and follow right behind him. Once again Newton's true best player and savoir was and is Sylvester. He will be a beast at DT in college. The more I watch him the more he reminds me of ex Arp player and Baylor's starting DT Tyrone Hunt whom is expected to picked in the late 2nd to 3rd round in this years draft. similar builds at that age.

Good analysis J.J. It's interesting you mention. #33 because he replaces Corbin Foster and I was kinda worried if he could maintain the same quality of play. Couple of things that stood out to me. One , Darwin doesn't seem to be running tough like he normally does. I've seen him knock the helmet off tacklers before. Maybe that's just me in my observation. I'm not a football expert by any means.

I will say one other thing though. That was the strangest offensive scheme I have ever seen. I saw some of the best blocking schemes I have ever seen, by EB. They walled off Newton defenders very effectively on those off tackle, and end around plays. Anyway thanks for the analysis, and we saw some great football last night.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Newtonres7586 said:

Good analysis J.J. It's interesting you mention. #33 because he replaces Corbin Foster and I was kinda worried if he could maintain the same quality of play. Couple of things that stood out to me. One , Darwin doesn't seem to be running tough like he normally does. I've seen him knock the helmet off tacklers before. Maybe that's just me in my observation. I'm not a football expert by any means.

I will say one other thing though. That was the strangest offensive scheme I have ever seen. I saw some of the best blocking schemes I have ever seen, by EB. They walled off Newton defenders very effectively on those off tackle, and end around plays. Anyway thanks for the analysis, and we saw some great football last night.

giphy.gif&ehk=mxrDpruVA967uVfYte6elg

This is my exact thought. Newton offense scheme was run the strangest plays Ive ever seen. The offense then the WR dropped 3 or 4 wide open plays. Barlow like he was hurt. EB played a great game but I really wonder what the game would of been like if we ran or normal offense. (in all honesty it looked like and felt like we was just playing around with EB the first half) Not trying to take anything away from EB yall are a great team and very well disciplined. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Newtonres7586 said:

EB took away Barlow's legs. They used a very smart angle swoop and wrap. The OLBs continued to play the best perimeter ball I've seen in a while....Overall it was good coaching on both sides. That long TD run Barlow got in the 3rd took Newton the entire 2nd qtr and part of the 3rd to set it up "Excellent Coaching on Newton's Part". Newton kept trying to get the DT to follow the Guard outside but EB stayed very disciplined. Go back and look at the play before the TD and you'll see where the EB's strong 3 tech finally followed the Guard and went after barlow. The very next play they ran the counter with G and T pulling on the 38 which left a lane. Go to the next drive Newton had the ball and EB didn't follow anymore lolol.  

• Like 2