DeSoto Open... again.

Mavchamp

8 minutes ago, ETxFB299 said:

Last good season you had?  Going 1 round with a team that had 2 athletes that play at the University of Texas isn’t necessarily an accomplishment. 

1992 10-2 I believe 

2006 6-4 playoff appearance Harper 

2013-7-3 playoff appearance       Reyes 

2014 7-3 playoff appearance 

We have won before. we don’t have the tradition of a Longview or Lufkin but don’t just act like we haven’t done anything in football.

• LOL! 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

1992 10-2 I believe 

2006 6-4 playoff appearance Harper 

2013-7-3 playoff appearance       Reyes 

2014 7-3 playoff appearance 

We have won before. we don’t have the tradition of a Longview or Lufkin but don’t just act like we haven’t done anything in football.

But you haven’t done anything in football. I’m not acting. San Augustine won more games in your stadium this year than your own team has in the past 3 years. I’m basing that off of your complaints that you had all year. 

4 hours ago, justafan said:

Nac doesn’t have talent!!!! They haven’t won in 60 years.  You want a spread guy that is from Marshall.  Why wouldn’t you want Scott??? 

Because we already have a fantastic staff in place with or without Mathis. 

Keep everything intact. 

Makes absolutely no sense to scrap what we have. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Because we already have a fantastic staff in place with or without Mathis. 

Keep everything intact. 

Makes absolutely no sense to scrap what we have. 

I would personally let Mathis go, if that’s what he wants. I don’t see the big deal. Now I would definitely try to promote the Offensive or Defensive Coordinator. At the game I think it was the Defensive Coordinator was coaching hard and getting after kids. Those coordinators kept the kids calm. Kept them in the game. Mathis literally fell out and acted like he was having a heart attack and then was revived and running down the sideline 5 minutes later. I think Marshall is building something. If Mathis stays I think it’s ok cause he has a great staff. But to lose him is not a big deal imho. I am sure there is a buncha stuff Mathis is doing behind the scenes. I’m only basing my opinion off seeing him as a game day HC twice. So maybe I am way off. But I have never seen a coach act like that. And I have witnessed two of the GOATS Traylor and Surratt get naked on the sideline! Both them are damn near in the huddle every play. But I never saw a coach fall out. Honestly reminded me of my Mom’s Church service on Sunday morning.  

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

DeSoto is two years removed from having won state and has one of the most athletic football programs around.

Everything wrong about the Eagles is off the field. Plain and simple. 

Its crazy to say Marshall is better than DeSoto right now imo. 

Im not focusing on the past, im in the right now. And the off the field stuff affects the program so yes Marshall is the better program right now. 

15 hours ago, justafan said:

There is no way you think Mathis is a great coach???? Motivator yes. But Coach no. I have never seen a Successful Head Coach act the way he does. Marshall deserves better. They should have hired Scott Ford when they had the chance. He does well with minimal talent. Great offense mind. 

My opinion 

Who said Mathis was a good coach? I didn't see it on any posts....However his record says he has done something right.

38 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Im not focusing on the past, im in the right now. And the off the field stuff affects the program so yes Marshall is the better program right now. 

didn't you say Port Arthur was better than JT this yr too?

4 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Team as a whole? Yes, what does that have to do with this topic though? 

well, It kinda shows that you aren't that familar with football programs north of the Golden Triangle.  Nothing against Marshall. I remember when Marshall was one of the best programs in the highest classification in Texas.  BUT Marshall ain't a better situation than DeSoto, and PA Memorial couldn't even beat a 4 loss team at home in the playoffs.  And JT is playing right now, giving the 2 time state champions problems.  

24 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

well, It kinda shows that you aren't that familar with football programs north of the Golden Triangle.  Nothing against Marshall. I remember when Marshall was one of the best programs in the highest classification in Texas.  BUT Marshall ain't a better situation than DeSoto, and PA Memorial couldn't even beat a 4 loss team at home in the playoffs.  And JT is playing right now, giving the 2 time state champions problems.  

If we matched up I think we win, not gonna change my mind, and im familiar with basically the whole state having lived across Texas. Ya boys doing work on HP good job. 

I think he’s gone. Even if it’s not to DeSoto. 

(Most) of the staff stays and continues what we’re building. 

Three district titles were won this season in football. 

Good things happening. 

Jmho. 

2 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

If we matched up I think we win, not gonna change my mind, and im familiar with basically the whole state having lived across Texas. Ya boys doing work on HP good job. 

cool. I guess we have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I think he’s gone. Even if it’s not to DeSoto. 

(Most) of the staff stays and continues what we’re building. 

Three district titles were won this season in football. 

Good things happening. 

Jmho. 

Mav didn’t the OC come from LT? What about the D Coordinator? Is he a Mathis guy? Like coached with him at DeSoto? I said it before but the difference in the defense from the Carthage game to the defense I saw against Huntsville was night an day. That’s what you look for in a coach. Somebody who keeps his unit getting better every week and has them prepared for big games. Hope everything works out for you guys. One thing is for sure even through all the penalties and TO, Marshall played with heart until the last whistle. Those kids want to win again. Y’all will be fine either way. Just got to make a good safe hire if Mathis goes.

Is it crazy to think it’s easier to win at Marshall right now than it is at DeSoto? 6a DI is a killer. I know DeSoto has the athletes, but it’s much tougher to win in 6a DI than 5a DII. I honestly think Marshall is in a perfect situation to go on a run. The split really helped level the playing field for Marshall. I could see them winning a title in the near future for sure. Just my opinion from watching quite a few games at the 5a DII level this year in the playoffs. Texanlive and NFHS are on up there with the best things ever created!

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

DC came from Oklahoma Panhandle State University.  Somerset ISD before.  19 year veteran. 

OC is from Lake Travis.  Young guy. Knows his stuff.   

Thanks Mav. Hopefully whatever happens it happens quick. I don’t want y’all to go thru the same non-sense as last year. The not knowing is the only problem.

Agree. 

If Mathis needs to be in the metroplex to be happy. Wish him the best.  Just go quickly. He should do what’s best for his family 

But there ARE folks most interested in what’s best for Marshall.