DeSoto Open... again.

Mavchamp

9 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Hmmmmmm Harper won here ,even Reyes has won here.They both did better then Scott ford and Nac does have talent. Just because we haven’t won consistently doesn’t mean we don’t have talent. We got two guys playing for UT right now but I can go back further then that.

Yep. You're definitely are going to have to go back. I mean, waaay back. 

• LOL! 1

Marshall is not Desoto.  

Nacogdoches is not Marshall. 

All 3 on different levels. 

But DISD looks like a dumpster fire no matter how much talent you got. 

Seems like a dicey situation at best.  Jmho. 

• LOL! 1

On 12/8/2018 at 7:28 AM, LoboFan07 said:

DeSoto is two years removed from having won state and has one of the most athletic football programs around.

Everything wrong about the Eagles is off the field. Plain and simple. 

Its crazy to say Marshall is better than DeSoto right now imo. 

100% fact!

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Marshall is not Desoto.  

Nacogdoches is not Marshall. 

All 3 on different levels. 

But DISD looks like a dumpster fire no matter how much talent you got. 

Seems like a dicey situation at best.  Jmho. 

Skyline is the only somewhat decent situation because they are basically a magnet school and you can load up on talent.  SOC has alot of talent so you can win there, but not sure if you could win state.  You probably have a better shot of winning state at Skyline.  They had Samples who is a great coach and almost pulled it off at Skyline and Lincoln, but honestly Cedar Hill/DeSoto/Duncanville, and even Lancaster are better situations, which is probably why Samples left DISD.  Ironically I just read an article that says Samples has the UIL all time wins for black coaches, beating former JT coach Allen Wilson, who won a ton of games at Dallas Carter after leaving JT.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:57 AM, nacdragon07 said:

1992 10-2 I believe 

2006 6-4 playoff appearance Harper 

2013-7-3 playoff appearance       Reyes 

2014 7-3 playoff appearance 

We have won before. we don’t have the tradition of a Longview or Lufkin but don’t just act like we haven’t done anything in football.

back in the late 90s, we used to say Nac would win alot of games if they were in another 5a district or if they were 4a because they got put in district with 4 of the best 5a programs in the state at that time (JT, Marshall, Luf, LV) even Lee was good.   And yes, they have been more competitive in 4a/5a, but I thought it would have been much better for them. For many yrs, they were one of the biggest 4a/5a schools in East TX and they are struggling with schools nearly half their size.  You guys play Tyler, Longview, and Lufkin schools all those yrs, and still play them at middle school level, but we just don't see it translate at high school level, even now that you guys have dropped to 5a Div.2.   I don't think Nac is void of talent because I saw yall beat Luf two yrs in a row, but for some reason you guys aren't putting it together against lesser opponents. I can understand Nac having trouble when JT and Lufkin were in their district , but there is no excuse for Nac to not contend for district every yr at 5a Div 2

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

back in the late 90s, we used to say Nac would win alot of games if they were in another 5a district or if they were 4a because they got put in district with 4 of the best 5a programs in the state at that time (JT, Marshall, Luf, LV) even Lee was good.   And yes, they have been more competitive in 4a/5a, but I thought it would have been much better for them. For many yrs, they were one of the biggest 4a/5a schools in East TX and they are struggling with schools nearly half their size.  You guys play Tyler, Longview, and Lufkin schools all those yrs, and still play them at middle school level, but we just don't see it translate at high school level, even now that you guys have dropped to 5a Div.2.   I don't think Nac is void of talent, but for some reason, you guys aren't putting it together. I can understand Nac having trouble when JT and Lufkin were in their district , but there is no excuse for Nac to not contend for district every yr at 5a Div2

Read in Dave Campbell where they have 1700+ kids.  That’s a lot of kids. They are borderline 5A D1 I would think.  They just can’t get it together for whatever reason! 

Just now, ETxFB299 said:

Read in Dave Campbell where they have 1700+ kids.  That’s a lot of kids. They are borderline 5A D1 I would think.  They just can’t get it together for whatever reason! 

oh yes. I originally thought they would be 5a div.1. They have at least  300-400 students more than the rest of schools in district, and like 500 students more than Lindale who is also in their district. After all of those yrs in district with JT/Luf/Marshall/Lee/LV, you would think 4a/5a would be much easier. I just think they haven't hired the right person yet to maximize their full potential. 

• Like 1

I'm the first to admit DeSoto has more athletes than we do.  Much bigger school.  Much more recent success on the field.  I know all this.  The potential is there of course.

But for ANY candidate to totally ignore the circus this district has had off the field for the last 2-3 seasons would be remiss and simply not doing one's homework.  The Supt has been undermined, parents are out of control at school board meetings, athletes are defecting to neighboring schools.  And that school board is a total dumpster fire.  Has been for a long while now.

DeSoto ISD drama has been in the Dallas Morning News just as much as the Dallas Cowboys the last few seasons.  What's the appeal?

Is it worth all that?  Because simply winning games clearly isn't the problem.  They ran off a coach after winning them a championship.  

The district appears to be in disarray.

---------

And yes.....  there are many that think keeping our staff in Marshall intact is in the best interest of the program. 

Mathis didn't make all this happen on his own.  He built a staff and they have come together beautifully. 

Makes absolutely no sense to scrap another staff for the FOURTH time since 2010.  We getting into PTISD territory for turnover.

It's amazing we've recovered as fast as we have withall  the changes (3 district titles, 2 region semis, an area apperance, and 6 straight years in the playoffs).   Which clearly shows we aren't devoid of talent here in the sticks.

26 minutes ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

Not only did they run off a state championship winning coach, after doing so they then reached back out to him, seemingly thinking he'd want to come back after the nonsense they put him through. No one with a strong resume should want to take that job seeing everything that's going on.

i wonder if a portion of the community looked at state champ coach like Barry Switzer.  

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, AKA said:

Marshall deserves better. 

Guy makes $115K ish a year.  Not exactly peanuts. 

Probaly has a top 10 program in the state when it comes to community support.  This town loves their team.  And they show up   Even in Houston at 4Pm on a Friday afternoon 🙄

Has a school board that is effective and respected.   Just got $110 Million in new schools built for every student K-8. And likely to have a bond to finish 9-12 soon. 

Talent out the wazoo. 

Can you just PRETEND to want to be here?

Can you just keep DeSoto out of your mouth for 5 seconds when speaking? 

And don’t get pissy when people question your loyalty when your actions beg questions and you refuse to estinguish the chatter.  

But telling one group you're staying on Monday and telling another group you’re interviewing on Tuesday....... 

So yeah.  

The community deserves better than an annual winter jerk-around  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Wow, man, obviously I lack the context you do, so it's even worse than I initially thought. 

The upshot is (hopefully) y'all can find someone who truly wants to be there and build something special. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Guy makes $115K ish a year.  Not exactly peanuts. 

Probaly has a top 10 program in the state when it comes to community support.  This town loves their team.  And they show up   Even in Houston at 4Pm on a Friday afternoon 🙄

Has a school board that is effective and respected.   Just got $110 Million in new schools built for every student K-8. And likely to have a bond to finish 9-12 soon. 

Talent out the wazoo. 

Can you just PRETEND to want to be here?

Can you just keep DeSoto out of your mouth for 5 seconds when speaking? 

And don’t get pissy when people question your loyalty when your actions beg questions and you refuse to estinguish the chatter.  

But telling one group you're staying on Monday and telling another group you’re interviewing on Tuesday....... 

So yeah.  

Wow .......

1 hour ago, justafan said:

Mavchamp you were one of the main guys that said you wanted Mathis instead of the local guys. No you are back tracking?  Consistent is the key. I bet they stay inside this time. Or they will look like fools 

I supported a local guy.......Clint Harper.  A Maverick through and through. He’s in Duncanville now. 

I supported Mathis at the beginning too. But 2 years of his antics have been enough.   I’ll be glad to see him go.

I supported Harris. And Southern. And Bill Harper when they were named HC.  But I also felt it was time for change when B Harper and Harris left.  I supported Southern in his pursuits. 

All that to say..... I’ve been supportive of all of them when they were named minus one.  And I felt it was time for each to go when they did minus Southern. 

Things change as time unfolds.  Opinions change. 

As far as the guy at EF.... who I assume you are speaking of..... I would say no.  But that’s jmho. 

• Like 1