Pleasant Grove (12-2) vs. Iowa Park (10-5), Class 4A (D-II) Semifinals

A2J

PG vs IP  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 4A Div II State Finals?

• Iowa Park Hawks
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 02:00 AM

40 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Very true! Exactly the mindset of the PG coaching staff. Gibson gets a lot of the spotlight but what I really like about him is the credit he gives to all of the coaches. IE: he praised Riley Fincher for the game winning TD call against Gilmer last year! Talking with most of these coaches it becomes clear real quick that they all have passion for what they do. I read an article on one of the coaches and he was asked what is the most rewarding result from what he does. He did not say championships, he did not say to be around sports, he said "To have  students he coached in the past years later invite him to their wedding" That stuck with me.

The smart guys know the right things to say 😜 and I’m not saying they don’t mean those things at all. But what drives them is wanting to win. The few coaches I know personally, the ones that are very successful are the ones that will fight you over a Thanksgiving ping pong tournament with family and he’s playing grandma in the finals 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Very true! Exactly the mindset of the PG coaching staff. Gibson gets a lot of the spotlight but what I really like about him is the credit he gives to all of the coaches. IE: he praised Riley Fincher for the game winning TD call against Gilmer last year! Talking with most of these coaches it becomes clear real quick that they all have passion for what they do. I read an article on one of the coaches and he was asked what is the most rewarding result from what he does. He did not say championships, he did not say to be around sports, he said "To have  students he coached in the past years later invite him to their wedding" That stuck with me.

The smart guys know the right things to say 😜 and I’m not saying they don’t mean those things at all. But what drives them is wanting to win. The few coaches I know personally, the ones that are very successful are the ones that will fight you over a Thanksgiving ping pong tournament with family and he’s playing grandma in the finals 

44 minutes ago, BandDirector said:

Ofcoarse you could be right, but it never hurts to believe someone now and then.

• Like 1

Iowa Park runs a very similar offense that the Hawks have seen all year. Spread with ROP run game. This is nothing new to PG. PG cannot get complacent with the passing ability of IP, while they are not as talented as Pitt they can and have put the ball down field for big plays. PG is playing really well against the run I think if PG gets up by 2 TD's IP will get pass heavy. Db's for PG should get a lot of opportunities to pick the ball off. IP looks really suspect against the run, especially with the PG rushing attack. Long sustained scoring drives from the Hawks is their specialty. I think IP will get anxious about having to score and that could create some turnovers for PG. Just from what I am seeing on the game replay against GR, IP is going to have a hard time stopping PG. PG defense is significantly better than GR and definitely faster. Look for IP to stack against the PG rushing attack and hope they can match receivers man to man. That will give them the best chance to hang with PG although we know that certainly has not worked for most teams playing PG this year. PG should win this game if they simply do what they do and wear down IP. That being said there is always murphys law

41 minutes ago, Nonothing said:

This PG team was there to see last years team and saw/experienced how tough it was to get there. They know what was here before Gibson came and saw how dramatically the program changed. They know it wasn't easy. They won't get complacent.  

Nice 👍 post! Your logic is undeniable. COMEON “PG” HAWKS!

• Like 1

I was surprised that Glen Rose was not able to put Iowa Park away......they obviously had the better team.  But they just were not able to stop that Iowa Park QB.....he kept those chains moving on 4th downs alot of times.  He's by far their best player on the team.....I think he plays both ways just like quite of few of them other Parkers do.  They do seem to have  a good team chemistry and play well together.......but they just don't have the athletes to match up with PG.....or the speed at the skill positions.  I will say this about IP.......they execute very well.  And they don't quit when the chips are down.  Congrats to the Iowa Park Hawks for winning their Region.......they deserve much credit.  Unforturnately.......there can be only one......to advance each week.  And then there can be only one to win it all.  It's looking to me just like I had it in my Bracket Breaker........PG vs Cuero for the Final.  Unless a miracle happens......and miracles in do happen from time to time in the Texas High School Football Playoffs......but not this week in this game.  PG by 28.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 2:40 PM, OneTreehill said:

Iowa Park used to be a perennial power. Long time ago (late 60's early 70's) I believe they won state twice and were usually very good. Don't have a clue what they have now but I can't see them competing with PG.

They don't have a stud that I remember seeing early in the season... Like I said, I am shocked to see them here...  Absolutely shocked... more so than Decatur in D1...

On 12/11/2018 at 6:11 PM, regaleagle said:

I was surprised that Glen Rose was not able to put Iowa Park away......they obviously had the better team.  But they just were not able to stop that Iowa Park QB.....he kept those chains moving on 4th downs alot of times.  He's by far their best player on the team.....I think he plays both ways just like quite of few of them other Parkers do.  They do seem to have  a good team chemistry and play well together.......but they just don't have the athletes to match up with PG.....or the speed at the skill positions.  I will say this about IP.......they execute very well.  And they don't quit when the chips are down.  Congrats to the Iowa Park Hawks for winning their Region.......they deserve much credit.  Unforturnately.......there can be only one......to advance each week.  And then there can be only one to win it all.  It's looking to me just like I had it in my Bracket Breaker........PG vs Cuero for the Final.  Unless a miracle happens......and miracles in do happen from time to time in the Texas High School Football Playoffs......but not this week in this game.  PG by 28.

That Iowa Park QB is the nephew of our OC... but I honestly didn't see that team as a good team... but it was very early in the season...  Iowa Park had a way better team last year.

On 12/11/2018 at 6:11 PM, regaleagle said:

Yes, setting up for a really good championship! If everything goes according to plan.👍

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to Pleasant Grove (12-2) vs. Iowa Park (10-5), Class 4A (D-II) Semifinals
13 hours ago, Unbiased1 said:

The Iowa Park coach said in an interview that he felt they were prepared because they have seen the Wing T multiple times this year. Now, if he truly gathered that PG runs a traditional Wing T from watching film, IP could be in trouble early in this one. 

I saw that and all I could think was the pg QB will go 8-10 with 5tds.

14 hours ago, Unbiased1 said:

The Iowa Park coach said in an interview that he felt they were prepared because they have seen the Wing T multiple times this year. Now, if he truly gathered that PG runs a traditional Wing T from watching film, IP could be in trouble early in this one. 

The coaches have seen every game by this time and both coaches know what to expect.   Both sides know what is coming and that is a PG victory.  This game is kind of like the LaVega vs. Decatur game.    All but over and on to the finals.   LaVega already up 33-0 at half.   

PG 20-0 with under 6 left in the first half. Blocked punt for six just now...a minute ago Wiggins had scored an apparent TD but he had the ball knocked out of his grasp right before crossing the end zone and recovered by IP. Still uneasy but a bit happier now.