Gunter (14-0) vs Canadian (13-1), Class 3A (D-II) Semifinals

Crawford

Gunter vs Canadian   

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 3A Div II State Finals?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 01:00 AM

This will be the 3rd straight season these two teams matched up in the semifinals. Gunter won the last two. If the Wildcats can get over the hump and defeat the Tigers, they would had advance to the state finals for the first time since moving up to 3A Div II. 

8 hours ago, JETT said:

I hate to pick against Gunter but I think without the hurt players Canadian gets it this year, 

Newton and Canadian for state 

Hey Jett,  the two players hurt in the Lexington gm are back and played vs Holliday from what I’ve heard. #4 has been done due to knee surgery. Hopefully they can make more plays and hold off Canadian. Gonna be a war. 

45 minutes ago, wingtveer said:

Hey Jett,  the two players hurt in the Lexington gm are back and played vs Holliday from what I’ve heard. #4 has been done due to knee surgery. Hopefully they can make more plays and hold off Canadian. Gonna be a war. 

Good deal, good luck to them tigers, been on a helluva run the past few years 

#4 has been hurt all year.  The injury happened during a scrimmage or practice the week before the first game.  It required surgery to fully repair, but surgery would put him down for the count.  He made the decision to play through the injury - playing about 60-70% of the defensive snaps, and maybe 3 or 4 offensive plays a game (and also sitting out completely in a couple games) before making the decision to go ahead with the surgery after the district Holliday game.  One of the toughest kids you will see.  If you didnt know any better, you wouldnt know anything was wrong with him.  When he wasn't in the game, he was on the stationary bike keeping loose all the while dealing with a busted knee.  Big loss, particularly against a good passing team like Canadian, but Gunter has been dealing with it since game 1.   

2 hours ago, Pax said:

#4 has been hurt all year.  The injury happened during a scrimmage or practice the week before the first game.  It required surgery to fully repair, but surgery would put him down for the count.  He made the decision to play through the injury - playing about 60-70% of the defensive snaps, and maybe 3 or 4 offensive plays a game (and also sitting out completely in a couple games) before making the decision to go ahead with the surgery after the district Holliday game.  One of the toughest kids you will see.  If you didnt know any better, you wouldnt know anything was wrong with him.  When he wasn't in the game, he was on the stationary bike keeping loose all the while dealing with a busted knee.  Big loss, particularly against a good passing team like Canadian, but Gunter has been dealing with it since game 1.   

#5 back in full force?

10 minutes ago, JETT said:

#5 back in full force?

As far as I know.  He was out a few games with a hip injury.  He came back in the first playoff game, but only played defense.  Then his first full game back was against Lexington, and he went down in the second half of that one due to concussion protocol - unrelated to the injury.  He saw the doc, and was fine.  He was back in full for both the last two games.

9 minutes ago, Pax said:

As far as I know.  He was out a few games with a hip injury.  He came back in the first playoff game, but only played defense.  Then his first full game back was against Lexington, and he went down in the second half of that one due to concussion protocol - unrelated to the injury.  He saw the doc, and was fine.  He was back in full for both the last two games.

Good deal 

Expect the game to be closer than last year.  Gunter had zero yards passing last year, against Canadian, but a strong running game.  This year they have been throwing for about 150 yards a game the past few weeks.  Gunter QB is quite capable, they won the 7 on 7 state championship back in the summer.  Could be more like the 2016 game just because Canadian may be better than either 2016 or 2017.  And Gunter minus #4 who had a pick 6 last year.  His replacement is playing good defense though.  I am picking Gunter by about a touchdown.

The key for Gunter is containing Cavelier who is a true dual threat QB.   On offense  we have to drive and score like we did last year.

18 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Expect the game to be closer than last year.  Gunter had zero yards passing last year, against Canadian, but a strong running game.  This year they have been throwing for about 150 yards a game the past few weeks.  Gunter QB is quite capable, they won the 7 on 7 state championship back in the summer.  Could be more like the 2016 game just because Canadian may be better than either 2016 or 2017.  And Gunter minus #4 who had a pick 6 last year.  His replacement is playing good defense though.  I am picking Gunter by about a touchdown.

The key for Gunter is containing Cavelier who is a true dual threat QB.   On offense  we have to drive and score like we did last year.

I’ll take your pick of Gunter by a td in a semi-finals match up between two great programs any day !

I actually think this game will be a toss-up game, i mean whoever gets a few breaks should take it. if no mistakes by either team. I would have to pick Gunter by a touchdown. Either team make more than 3 mistakes ( fumbles,interceptions,blocked punts, holding penalties  & major drive killers ) and  i fill like the fat lady will have sung. Both good teams and good programs. JMHO

Since district play started, and including playoff games as well, Gunter is beating teams by an average of 35.6 points per game.  The teams they are beating are winning their games by an average of 6.6 per game.  So, Gunter swings these games by an average of 42.2 points.

Canadian is beating teams by 33.7 who are used to winning by 5.9 - for a swing of 39.6 points.

Since Canadian wins by an average of 33.7, and Gunter "swings" their opponents out of their average game by 42.2 points, that would favor Gunter by 8.5 points.  Gunter wins by an average of 35.6, and Canadian "swings" their opponents out of their average game by 39.6 points, so that would favor Canadian by 4 points.  The average of these two would be Gunter favored by 2.  The score my algorithm comes up with in this one is Gunter, 35-33.  This is considering district games and beyond - as well as only the district and beyond games by their opponents. 

Using the same method :

Considering every game played overall including preseason - Gunter 30, Canadian 27.

Considering the best 3 "swing" games by each team** - Canadian 38, Gunter 29. 

Worst 3 swing games*** - Gunter 40, Canadian 25.

Gunter's best 3 vs Canadian's worst 3 - Gunter 39, Canadian 11.

Canadian's best 3 vs Gunter's worst 3 - Canadian 52, Gunter 30.

Considering only the 4 playoff games - Canadian 37, Gunter 31.

Games against opponents that score 30+ ppg - Canadian 29, Gunter 27.

Games against opponents who hold teams to fewer than 20 ppg - Gunter 30, Canadian 22.

The average of all of these : Gunter 32, Canadian 30.

** - Canadian's best 3 swing games were against Anson, Friona, and Colorado.  Gunter's best 3 were the Holliday playoff game, Nocona, and the Holliday district game.

*** - Canadian's worst 3 swing games were against Grapevine Faith, Perryton, and River Road.  Gunter's worst 3 were Callisburg, Lexington, and S&S.

It's hard to beat a good team two times in a row, and Gunter pulled that off against a very good Holliday team this year.  Gunter would have to beat an even better Canadian team 3 times in a row to advance to the state final for the third consecutive year.  It's a tall order, but I think Gunter will pull it off in a one-score game.  Both teams in the 30s.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Pax said:

Since district play started, and including playoff games as well, Gunter is beating teams by an average of 35.6 points per game.  The teams they are beating are winning their games by an average of 6.6 per game.  So, Gunter swings these games by an average of 42.2 points.

Canadian is beating teams by 33.7 who are used to winning by 5.9 - for a swing of 39.6 points.

Since Canadian wins by an average of 33.7, and Gunter "swings" their opponents out of their average game by 42.2 points, that would favor Gunter by 8.5 points.  Gunter wins by an average of 35.6, and Canadian "swings" their opponents out of their average game by 39.6 points, so that would favor Canadian by 4 points.  The average of these two would be Gunter favored by 2.  The score my algorithm comes up with in this one is Gunter, 35-33.  This is considering district games and beyond - as well as only the district and beyond games by their opponents. 

Using the same method :

Considering every game played overall including preseason - Gunter 30, Canadian 27.

Games against opponents who hold teams to fewer than 20 ppg - Gunter 30, Canadian 22.

** - Canadian's best 3 swing games were against Anson, Friona, and Colorado.  Gunter's best 3 were the Holliday playoff game, Nocona, and the Holliday district game.

*** - Canadian's worst 3 swing games were against Grapevine Faith, Perryton, and River Road.  Gunter's worst 3 were Callisburg, Lexington, and S&S.

It's hard to beat a good team two times in a row, and Gunter pulled that off against a very good Holliday team this year.  Gunter would have to beat an even better Canadian team 3 times in a row to advance to the state final for the third consecutive year.  It's a tall order, but I think Gunter will pull it off in a one-score game.  Both teams in the 30s.

Nice write up, Thanks Pax. It looks to be a great game shaping up.  I will take Gunter in a close game.  P.S. I do live in Gunter. 

2 hours ago, Pax said:

Using the same method :

Good method but confusing at same time, but you have it right.👍

7 hours ago, Pax said:

Using the same method :

Good stuff Pax!!  I’m ready for this one. Gonna listen to those Gunter announcers again. Those ol boys have a great time. Hope Gunter comes away w the win. Again, appreciate you digging up all that information. I know it takes lots of work but it’s some of the best stuff ever on smoaky.com. Thanks again. ( hope you get to do one more next wk).