Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Amarillo Tascosa Rebels (11-3)  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a close one
    • Amarillo Tascosa in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2018 at 02:00 AM

26 minutes ago, lobos2011 said:

The thing is, i have yet to see a Longview team get woren down. Knowing from experience Its a mentality Coach King brings to the table with the kids. The key is not them wearing down Longview its will longview over persue and get out of position. It will be a different level of physicality than any metroplex team you all have faced.

Im not sure what you know about longview, but we do not run a spread and We are EAST TEXAS not Metorplex.

We huddle every play not the hurry up. We lul defenders to sleep running power and zone schemes and capitalize on play action pass. This offensive line is built on all 2-3 year starters who have given up maybe 10 sacks all year and few negative plays a game. 

5 sacks if I'm correct

20 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Hell every now and then, we'll even run some triple option stuff too just like older John King teams did. Haynes has a few TD runs on option plays this year.

Longview has the most diverse offense in the state. Have not seen a team any classification run the number of sets Longview does all year. 

No! No! Shhh GIF - SteveCarrell No SilentNo GIFs

Don't listen to this guy. This is crazy talk. We don't run the triple-option, our quarterback can't run the ball. He slow. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 3

12 minutes ago, lobos2011 said:

The thing is, i have yet to see a Longview team get woren down. Knowing from experience Its a mentality Coach King brings to the table with the kids. The key is not them wearing down Longview its will longview over persue and get out of position. It will be a different level of physicality than any metroplex team you all have faced.

Im not sure what you know about longview, but we do not run a spread and We are EAST TEXAS not Metorplex.

We huddle every play not the hurry up. We lul defenders to sleep running power and zone schemes and capitalize on play action pass. This offensive line is built on all 2-3 year starters who have given up maybe 10 sacks all year and few negative plays a game. 

1st sack was against Mesquite the last regular season game, also threw the first interception in that game.  No sacks or ints against Copperas Cove or Prosper.  Maybe one sack against Vandergrif no ints.  2 interceptions and two sacks against Spring Westfield, maybe three sacks.   So 3 to 4 sacks all year and 3 interceptions.

24 minutes ago, lobos2011 said:

24 minutes ago, lobos2011 said:

I didn’t say y’all ran a spread, I said y’all are experts at defending against them.

2 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

1st sack was against Mesquite the last regular season game, also threw the first interception in that game.  No sacks or ints against Copperas Cove or Prosper.  Maybe one sack against Vandergrif no ints.  2 interceptions and two sacks against Spring Westfield, maybe three sacks.   So 3 to 4 sacks all year and 3 interceptions.

Prosper sacked him once on a PA pass attempt.

21 minutes ago, lobos2011 said:

And I know you're not a DFW team, i'm simply using Allen and Duncanville as examples of outstanding defenses for comparison.

2 minutes ago, kdogs00 said:

I dont think so

That's when the Ragin Red was started by coach James Cameron I beleive was his name.  Great coach, left for I think Sulpher Springs and died of a heart attack shortly after.  Really turned Kilgore around.  They beat us 24-17 I believe.  ED Jackson had like almost 200 yards rushing.  

31 minutes ago, kdogs00 said:

Tascosa coach Plunk...when he was qb at Kilgore...facing Longview 

Su4M2Et.jpg

James Cameron was born on September 11, 1938 to Noah and Kate Cameron. He attended Commerce High School in Commerce, Texas where he played basketball and football. He married his high school sweetheart, June Duncan. After he graduated from college at East Texas State University, Cameron coached high school football in Mckinney, Sulphur Springs, Kilgore, Rockwall, Garland, and Waco. He had four children (Debra, Jeff, Joey, and Jessica) with his wife June. His last coaching position was head football coach and athletic director at Sulphur Springs High School. He died on April 1, 1995 of a heart attack at his residential home in Sulphur Springs. His final record was 208–79–13. His coaching record at Howard Payne was 21–20–2

RIP to a great man and coach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

That's when the Ragin Red was started by coach James Cameron I beleive was his name.  Great coach, left for I think Sulpher Springs and died of a heart attack shortly after.  Really turned Kilgore around.  They beat us 24-17 I believe.  ED Jackson had like almost 200 yards rushing.  

not 100%, but I think Plunk was a year behind ED Jackson...so, he very well may have been the QB that year...I get the years mixed up, but I do remember Longview having a really good team that year...heck, I think they might have been ranked in the state when we played them and won....hasn't  played Kilgore ever since..ha

2 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

They talk about you have to defend this and that and this player and that player.  Ok. We will try.  Now what they have to defend.  Longview reminds me of how teams had to defend Dallas in the 90s.  You have to play the run every play, the tailback, fullback and QB.  That’s a chore in itself. Then you have to cover every aspect of the passing game, all WRs, TEs, and backs out of the backfield.  Go Lobos beat the Rebels

call me crazy, but back in 96, Marshall played Lake Highlands in the playoffs.  LH ran the wishbone with basically your run of the mill Wishbone plays with 3-4 pass plays, all Go routes.  I am not sure that we adjusted our base defense at all...  but when I played a team like that with 1 pass route that they have used all season 3-4 times a game... I would load 8 in the box, have a Safety and 2 CBs play a Shell like a Cover 3 without any underneath help and sail all out on the run game until they made me cover the TEs and RBs.... in that type of game, you are going to have LBs essentially spying the RBs anyway because that is where the ball is going 90% of the time.  That other 10% deep route should be picked or at least a tackle by the DB if the WR makes a great jump ball catch...

I don't know a lot about Longview's opponent, but I would destroy their run game and anytime the QB passes the ball, I would hope a LB or DE is already in his face, forcing him to make a great throw under pressure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kdogs00 said:

not 100%, but I think Plunk was a year behind ED Jackson...so, he very well may have been the QB that year...I get the years mixed up, but I do remember Longview having a really good team that year...heck, I think they might have been ranked in the state when we played them and won....hasn't  played Kilgore ever since..ha

LOL You're right we didn't  

5 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

call me crazy, but back in 96, Marshall played Lake Highlands in the playoffs.  LH ran the wishbone with basically your run of the mill Wishbone plays with 3-4 pass plays, all Go routes.  I am not sure that we adjusted our base defense at all...  but when I played a team like that with 1 pass route that they have used all season 3-4 times a game... I would load 8 in the box, have a Safety and 2 CBs play a Shell like a Cover 3 without any underneath help and sail all out on the run game until they made me cover the TEs and RBs.... in that type of game, you are going to have LBs essentially spying the RBs anyway because that is where the ball is going 90% of the time.  That other 10% deep route should be picked or at least a tackle by the DB if the WR makes a great jump ball catch...

I don't know a lot about Longview's opponent, but I would destroy their run game and anytime the QB passes the ball, I would hope a LB or DE is already in his face, forcing him to make a great throw under pressure.

Longview played that same Lake Highlands team earlier in the season and lost 13-12 on a last-minute blocked punt for a TD. They ran the exact same offense that Tascosa runs.... with  a few new plays as the offense has evolved. In 2000, they ran a straight up wishbone offense, but would use motion and different alignments similar to the flexbone that Tascosa runs. Fun to watch and methodical.

17 minutes ago, kdogs00 said:

1986 was the last year we played Kilgore. Not sure how accurate that post is about him playing Longview, but if he did it would’ve had to of been in 85 or 85 cause those were the only years in the 80s we played.

Longview had many losses that year, including a loss to PT. But still somehow made it to the quarters against Plano. I know lots of Lobo fans feel we were screwed out of that one.

• Thanks 1

1987 Season - Record: 9-3-0 (6-1-0)
09.04 - Kilgore - Loss 24-19
09.11 - at Fort Worth Trimble Tech - Win 40-2
09.18 - vs Dallas Carter - Win 10-7
09.25 - vs Tyler Lee* - Win 10-3
10.02 - at Texas High* - Win 49-6
10.09 - vs Nacodgoches* - Win 50-0
10.16 - Lufkin* - Loss 15-6
10.23 - vs Marshall* - Win 34-22
10.30 - vs John Tyler* - Win 35-8
11.06 - at Pine Tree* - Win 34-12
11.14 - Bi-District: Killeen Ellison - Win 22-8
11.21 - Area: Cy Fair - Loss 21-7

Longview won the District 13-5A Championship.

* Bi-District match vs Killeen Ellison was played at Texas Stadium in Irving.
** Area match up vs Cy Fair was played Kyle Field in College Station.

Read more: http://longviewlobos.proboards.com/thread/81/1987-season#ixzz5ZUPKvbcW

2 minutes ago, kdogs00 said:
1987 Season - Record: 9-3-0 (6-1-0)
09.04 - Kilgore - Loss 24-19
09.11 - at Fort Worth Trimble Tech - Win 40-2
09.18 - vs Dallas Carter - Win 10-7
09.25 - vs Tyler Lee* - Win 10-3
10.02 - at Texas High* - Win 49-6
10.09 - vs Nacodgoches* - Win 50-0
10.16 - Lufkin* - Loss 15-6
10.23 - vs Marshall* - Win 34-22
10.30 - vs John Tyler* - Win 35-8
11.06 - at Pine Tree* - Win 34-12
11.14 - Bi-District: Killeen Ellison - Win 22-8
11.21 - Area: Cy Fair - Loss 21-7

Longview won the District 13-5A Championship.

* Bi-District match vs Killeen Ellison was played at Texas Stadium in Irving.
** Area match up vs Cy Fair was played Kyle Field in College Station.

Read more: http://longviewlobos.proboards.com/thread/81/1987-season#ixzz5ZUPKvbcW

1987. And I believe Longview was ranked in the 5A Top 10... maybe #1?

Albeit, a preseason ranking 

• Like 1

I wanted to play Kilgore in 2009 but we were stuck with Whitehouse in the first round. The classic post-loss deflection from them was great. Trying to take the focus off their historical playoff loss and put the focus onto something to paint them in a more sympathetic light, which happened to be the whole "our players were hurt and Longview didn't even take a knee for them" thing. 

I recall Sulphur Springs doing something similar when they came in ranked #4, swearing revenge, and we played them off the field in the first quarter lmao

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lkrebel said:

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s unstopable, it’s just very difficult in 4 days to properly train a defense to stop it, especially having never seen it.  You can’t just put 9-10 in the box and call it a day.  That hasn’t worked for any of the past 4 teams.  You are forced into having to outscore the offense.  Tascosa gets 2-3 stops and it becomes a true problem.  Speed isn’t a factor as we have plenty of speed to get yardage when we need it.  Two of Haltom’s fastest safety’s couldn’t catch Campbell in a full out sprint and he isn’t even our fastest ball carrier.  Longview plays assignment, and they win.  They miss one, well, it gets interesting...real quick!

This is an ubsurd statement. Players are taught at a young age what the triple option offense is. Especially in East Texas because there is still a lot of teams in East Texas that still run it. Might not be out of the wishbone, flex, or wing but can be run out of shotgun, i form and of course power i. Which of course my alma mater MP ran out of in the 90s. Longview i think might still run a variety of the triple option. And Longview's corners are very fast. Im pretty sure King will have them ready for your offense.

Take for example Georgia Tech and Navy. They run out of the wing t triple option. Neither one is going to a bowl game. Teams put 8-9 in the box against them. Because they cant throw it. If your offense runs a wing t triple option and starts getting stuffed, if they cant throw it, it will be a very long day for your qb, wing back, and fb.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, budmanmpfan said:

This is an ubsurd statement. Players are taught at a young age what the triple option offense is. Especially in East Texas because there is still a lot of teams in East Texas that still run it. Might not be out of the wishbone, flex, or wing but can be run out of shotgun, i form and of course power i. Which of course my alma mater MP ran out of in the 90s. Longview i think might still run a variety of the triple option. And Longview's corners are very fast. Im pretty sure King will have them ready for your offense.

Yeah, we run the zone read like most teams do now. It's very similar. But the old triple option they run is a little different. I do like the closing speed of our defense and the physicality of our front 7. But Tascosa is extremely disciplined and methodical, so our boys need to play with discipline AND speed. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I wanted to play Kilgore in 2009 but we were stuck with Whitehouse in the first round.

Thank god...I have wanted to see a handful of Kilgore teams play Longview...late 90's when Jamar Toombs was here....2003,2004,2005....and maybe 2013 team....but for the most part glad we didn't play...lol

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Yeah, we run the zone read like most teams do now. It's very similar. But the old triple option they run is a little different. I do like the closing speed of our defense and the physicality of our front 7. But Tascosa is extremely disciplined and methodical, so our boys need to play with discipline AND speed. 

yes. I understand its run a little different but my statement remains if the Lobos play assignment football and stuff the run can Tascosa throw it. If not it will be a long day.

• Mr. P changed the title to Longview (14-0) vs. Amarillo-Tascosa (11-3), Class 6A (D-II) Semifinals