La Vega (12-2) vs. Decatur (8-4), Class 4A (D-I) Semifinals

BigFanOf22

La Vega vs Decatur  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who Advances to the 4A Div I State Finals?

• Decatur Eagles
    • La Vega Pirates

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/14/2018 at 10:00 PM

The weather was far worse than anyone could expect for any team that relies on the pass as a major part of their offense.  Hogeboom had trouble and fumbled the snap at least 6 times from the shotgun simply because the ball was too wet or his hands were too cold and wet, or both.  When he tried to pass......the ball would come out off target or wobbly and short or both.  The receivers had the same exact problem catching the ball.......it was very difficult to get a handle on that ball in those conditions.  So the offense was not able to sustain drives on offense and therefore the Argyle D was on the field for a large majority of the game.  They played well.......shutting down the LV attack as much as anyone could expect.  But LV had so many opportunities with that outstanding stable of RB's and running QB that eventually they broke some plays.  Anybody that watched the game knows the advantage was HUGE for LV because Argyle could not  run their offense.  I think Argyle had 4 turnovers in the first quarter.......giving up 17 points on them.  Not much to say really......it would have been a far more competitive game indoors or in dry conditions.  Again......LV did not see Argyle's real offense.  Just the breaks.......but it was very apparent that the Argyle D had plenty of quickness to make stops on the LV offense if the these factors had not been in play.  Congrats to LV on a great win and good luck this week against a very suspect Decatur Eagles team that can generate points in the passing game, but has very little defense whatsoever.  Expecting any passing offense to do well against a great running attack like LV has in those conditions is absolutely absurd.  Unfortunate and ridiculous for Argyle at this late stage of the season.......these two powerful offenses should have been allowed to play last week at the Star in Frisco.  No contest under the circumstances......and highly slanted toward any run-heavy quality opponent that cranks out 90% of their offense on the ground.  It was also very easy for them to defend in that weather......there was literally not much threat in the passing game from Argyle.  That became apparent right away........just handling the snaps and throwing the football was very challenging. I also was able to view the Carthage/Henderson game and the Cuero game.......among others in the state on that night that were played outdoors.  None had the weather conditions as severe as this game had......or for as long. The games in Central and South Texas outdoors were in wet weather, but not cold weather.  Wet cold weather is much more difficult to play in when a team relies on it's passing game to give it a balanced attack. Just the snaps alone become problematic on a consistent basis because of the shotgun and ball handling requirements from both the center and the qb.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

The weather was far worse than anyone could expect for any team that relies on the pass as a major part of their offense.  Hogeboom had trouble and fumbled the snap at least 6 times from the shotgun simply because the ball was too wet or his hands were too cold and wet, or both.  When he tried to pass......the ball would come out off target or wobbly and short or both.  The receivers had the same exact problem catching the ball.......it was very difficult to get a handle on that ball in those conditions.  So the offense was not able to sustain drives on offense and therefore the Argyle D was on the field for a large majority of the game.  They played well.......shutting down the LV attack as much as anyone could expect.  But LV had so many opportunities with that outstanding stable of RB's and running QB that eventually they broke some plays.  Anybody that watched the game knows the advantage was HUGE for LV because Argyle could not  run their offense.  I think Argyle had 4 turnovers in the first quarter.......giving up 17 points on them.  Not much to say really......it would have been a far more competitive game indoors or in dry conditions.  Again......LV did not see Argyle's real offense.  Just the breaks.......but it was very apparent that the Argyle D had plenty of quickness to make stops on the LV offense if the these factors had not been in play.  Congrats to LV on a great win and good luck this week against a very suspect Decatur Eagles team that can generate points in the passing game, but has very little defense whatsoever.  Expecting any passing offense to do well against a great running attack like LV has in those conditions is absolutely absurd.  Unfortunate and ridiculous for Argyle at this late stage of the season.......these two powerful offenses should have been allowed to play last week at the Star in Frisco.  No contest under the circumstances......and highly slanted toward any run-heavy quality opponent that cranks out 90% of their offense on the ground.  It was also very easy for them to defend in that weather......there was literally not much threat in the passing game from Argyle.  That became apparent right away........just handling the snaps and throwing the football was very challenging. I also was able to view the Carthage/Henderson game and the Cuero game.......among others in the state on that night that were played outdoors.  None had the weather conditions as severe as this game had......or for as long. The games in Central and South Texas outdoors were in wet weather, but not cold weather.  Wet cold weather is much more difficult to play in when a team relies on it's passing game to give it a balanced attack. Just the snaps alone become problematic on a consistent basis because of the shotgun and ball handling requirements from both the center and the qb.

Yeah, the Carthage/Henderson game wasn’t bad.........just 42-45 degrees, with a medium rain the whole game, and the wind didn’t get above 12 MPH until halftime. 

My thought after the first quarter was that Argyle should have gone to more of a running attack and stayed with that for the bulk of their offensive sets......but they didn't.  They got behind early and continued trying to force the passing game to work in those harsh conditions.......it was not a good decision, IMO.  But that's the call of the Argyle coaching staff and their decisions to make.......that comes with the territory.  I'm not sure a run-heavy offense would have given Argyle what they needed in those conditions to win the game, but it most certainly would have resulted in more offensive plays, less time spent on the field by the Argyle D, and perhaps a much closer score.  Who knows what would have resulted......most probably less turnovers and more first downs for Argyle.

Believe me it was cold and raining pretty good at the Carthage game also rained the entire game I'm guessing your thinking it was not that bad by watching the video and after I watched it noticed that but believe me it never slacked up was out in it from 45 min before game started till the last of game

20 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Fair assessment of the game.  LV works from the shotgun too and didn't have that the snap fumble problems Argyle had.  Both teams had to deal with the weather and it did absolutely favor the Pirates run game.  The game was agreed upon on last Friday by both coaches.   Why would LV agree to play at a stadium 30 minute from argyle and 2 hours from LV eccentrically  giving Argyle a home game.  No coach in there right mind would do that.  Midolthan was chosen for location not weather. Great football teams find a way.  

Congrats to Decatur this season for turning it around in the playoffs over in Region 1.  They won against some good teams with a valid passing attack.  But they will now get their chance to measure their capabilities against the Region 2 Champion......the La Vega Pirates.  La Vega has all the ingredients to win the SC title game this season.....great defense and powerful ground game with very athletic players on both sides of the ball.  The LV secondary covers well and has the ability to match up with quality receivers from any team.....regardless of classification.  The Pirates have speed to make up for any mistakes, breakaways, or missed tackles defensively.  Offensively.......LV will just whack Decatur, IMO.  Decatur is not close to having a defense in the same ballpark as some of the other teams left in this tournament.  This game should be decided by halftime.

5 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Fair assessment of the game.  LV works from the shotgun too and didn't have that the snap fumble problems Argyle had.  Both teams had to deal with the weather and it did absolutely favor the Pirates run game.  The game was agreed upon on last Friday by both coaches.   Why would LV agree to play at a stadium 30 minute from argyle and 2 hours from LV eccentrically  giving Argyle a home game.  No coach in there right mind would do that.  Midolthan was chosen for location not weather. Great football teams find a way.  

Unfortunately.......the task of two very good football teams with opposite styles met in a severe weather condition for any football game at any level......that's what happened last Friday night in Midlothian.  Even great football teams like the NO Saints would have had a tough time against an opponent with a good running attack in a game with those conditions.......so just bad timing for a game of that magnitude for these two teams to meet in those conditions. Consider La Vega as very fortunate indeed in a year where there is absolutely some serious contenders at this level and above in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

The rain never stopped in the Carthage game and st times came down pretty hard, it made the Dawgs go to the run game. 

Which was ok with over 300 yards. 

The Dawgs can run or throw very balanced offense. 

The Dawg D limited Henderson to 58 total yards. 

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Unfortunately.......the task of two very good football teams with opposite styles met in a severe weather condition for any football game at any level......that's what happened last Friday night in Midlothian.  Even great football teams like the NO Saints would have had a tough time against an opponent with a good running attack in a game with those conditions.......so just bad timing for a game of that magnitude for these two teams to meet in those conditions. Consider La Vega as very fortunate indeed in a year where there is absolutely some serious contenders at this level and above in the playoffs.  

I agree 100%, I've been saying  since week 4 that their are 4 titans at the top of 4a this year.  LV, Argyle, Carthage and LH. it would take one of those teams to knock off the other and what do you know that exactly the way it has turned out.  Only one team can win it all.  

Decatur has been on one heck of a run, but like the post I saw on another forum said "this is big boy football" and I don't think Decatur is quite ready for this level of play. 

Can Decatur O-line give the QB enough time to unload the ball, I saw the are a heavy RPO team.  I see the QB getting hit early and choosing the run over the pass option.  I know I wouldn't  want to continue to get pounded if I had another option.  Which play straight into the strength of the LV defense.  The passing game of Decatur isn't as potent as others we have faced this season therefore LV should be able to keep them in check.  I don't see LV over looking this team any team that has made it this far has to be pretty good.

9 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The rain never stopped in the Carthage game and st times came down pretty hard, it made the Dawgs go to the run game. 

Which was ok with over 300 yards. 

The Dawgs can run or throw very balanced offense. 

The Dawg D limited Henderson to 58 total yards. 

Henderson ain't La Vega.....LOL.  And the weather was not quite as severe during your game over there.....even though it was wet and cold.  I was watching closely the ball handling, weather and overall conditions of every game that night on NFHS......it's still there for anybody to watch on tape if they wish to compare.  

• Like 1

Just now, regaleagle said:

Henderson ain't La Vega.....LOL.  And the weather was not quite as severe during your game over there.....even though it was wet and cold.  I was watching closely the ball handling, weather and overall conditions of every game that night on NFHS......it's still there for anybody to watch on tape if they wish to compare.  

I agree it never let up that night.  The one thing I did notice is that LV was always working a dry ball into the game about every 3 plays and before every kick, it didn't seem that Argyle rotated the ball as often.  

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Was not disagreeing with you, but rain and cold is rain and cold. 

I also agree it would have been a more even game for Argyle in dry conditions. 

3 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Regal is a looong way from being a boy nowadays........try about 64 yrs worth of being on this earth and playing, then watching football as an avid football addict.

You are definitely one of the most knowledgeable posters on here. 

I am glad you post, your honest and give good info on teams we do not get to see. 

14 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I agree it never let up that night.  The one thing I did notice is that LV was always working a dry ball into the game about every 3 plays and before every kick, it didn't seem that Argyle rotated the ball as often.  

Refs were good for Hendo and Carthage in that regard - every play a new ball went in. Only sorta bad thing, the ref who set the ball didn’t keep it under his towel as long as he could - he set the ball on the turf as soon as he got it. 

• Mr. P changed the title to La Vega (12-2) vs. Decatur (8-4), Class 4A (D-I) Semifinals