🏆 Cuero (14-1) vs. Pleasant Grove (13-2), Class 4A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

futfan

P G or Cuero   

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the 4A Div II State Finals?

• Cuero Gobblers
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2018 at 05:00 PM

Cuero has that outstanding individual I se in the wildcat, but PG will probably neutralize him by controlling the clock. 

No secret Hawks are masters at eating up the clock and keeping other teams off the field. Try too hard to stop the run, and Harmon gets you with one of his long TD strikes. 

Gonna be hard for one man to beat PG. Pittsburg gave it a good shot. 

18 minutes ago, futfan said:

Cuero has that outstanding individual I se in the wildcat, but PG will probably neutralize him by controlling the clock. 

No secret Hawks are masters at eating up the clock and keeping other teams off the field. Try too hard to stop the run, and Harmon gets you with one of his long TD strikes. 

Gonna be hard for one man to beat PG. Pittsburg gave it a good shot. 

Cuero is better than Pittsburg

1 hour ago, 68Hornet said:

Here's a few facts. Cuero is not in West Texas; second Whittington may be the first 5-star recruit PG has played. He should be the best individual player the Hawks have faced for sure. He'll be the most dangerous weapon on the field, either team. Catches passes, runs wild from the wildcat, runs kicks back and has 12 interceptions on defense in his career. I suspect they've seen a lot of wing-t and slot-t teams this season. If PG plays its best game the Hawks will win by 2 touchdowns. If they make mistakes, it could be different. I can visualize PG winning four straight state championships.

I figured a team from this district would play for and probably win the title (PG, Gilmer, LE or Pitt)

Next year PG will be the HEAVY favorite to win D2 and probably will.  2020 is still up in the air.  

Don't know much about either team other than PG is going for second in a row and Cuero has long tradition.  Both can be a great advantage to have in the quiver.  Grew up in Texarkana so will enjoy seeing the Hawks go for number 2, missed last year's game.  I live not far from Liberty Hill, so have seen the slot-t a lot of times and look forward to seeing how PG's slot-t compares.  Also followed Cuero over the years dating back to late 80s with Robert Strait going beast mode through the playoffs and have kept track of Cuero ever since, although I've only been to two or three of their games since that time.  

Most important to me is hoping for a very competitive game, getting to see two programs I feel a little connection with, and then getting to stick around and see Liberty Hill vs La Vega after this one.  It's going to be a great day.

• Like 1

gobblegobble, you have a lineman who has one of the best names I've ever heard in sports: "Storm Dromgoole".  (His surname is an Irish one I saw on a map of Ireland (with said map showing in what part of the "emerald isle" the families with the surnames tended to live) at the Palmer House in Chicago long ago, at the hotel restaurant.)

And I say that knowing his line competes in linemen competitions.  I've no doubt they'll go all out.  Looks like your qb only threw 4-5 ints in the regular season, so he, too, looks like a wise player.  These are two talented teams who, it appears, will give it their all.  Knowing how the NCAA DII championship game went yesterday (also with the last two, highly talented, teams standing) that means some end-of-the-chair sitting for we spectators.

2 hours ago, 1utexfan said:

Texarkana is NE Texas. Longview and Tyler are East Texas as in "the piney woods of East Texas".  In my opinion,  anything West of the DFW area is West Texas. 

Cuero is technically east of fort worth then...

thats to the confusion of northerners calling it west texas

9 hours ago, DevelopQB said:

I figured a team from this district would play for and probably win the title (PG, Gilmer, LE or Pitt)

Next year PG will be the HEAVY favorite to win D2 and probably will.  2020 is still up in the air.  

Quit being modest. You knew PG would play for and probably win the title! Lol

This is going to be a great game. Cuero has a couple of stud athletes and PG plays as one. Don’t get me wrong PH has playmakers on both sides of the ball. This will come down to turnovers and this is where I think PG has the advantage.

You guys are so easy...

Cuero will be one of the toughest teams PG beats this year. No doubt, they didn't get here for no reason. PGs defense has grown into itself over the last couple of months and the offense is not turning over the ball like they were at the beginning of the season. Cuero's defense is going to have to be on point to deal with the explosive PG offense. They will run until they feel like they want to throw. They will score either way they want. It might be tough, and they are going to have to play better than they have all year but PG can pull it out.

What's the over/under on PG scoring on the first play in the state game again?

Good luck to both teams!

PG 35

Cuero 17

Texarkana is in the region known as the Ark-La-Tex.

Although the term predates the television era, TV stations based in Shreveport and the one with a base in Texarkana (KTAL Channel 6) pushed this term on those of us living within range of their transmitters.

Tyler-Longview area had only one TV station at first (KLTV Channel 7), but got several more later on and so Shreveport TV lost that power of propaganda over most of East Texas.

I know way too much about Louisiana because of the hours I spent watching their local TV news in my youth. 

17 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

Here's a few facts. Cuero is not in West Texas; second Whittington may be the first 5-star recruit PG has played. He should be the best individual player the Hawks have faced for sure. He'll be the most dangerous weapon on the field, either team. Catches passes, runs wild from the wildcat, runs kicks back and has 12 interceptions on defense in his career. I suspect they've seen a lot of wing-t and slot-t teams this season. If PG plays its best game the Hawks will win by 2 touchdowns. If they make mistakes, it could be different. I can visualize PG winning four straight state championships.

Good analysis, we've played against some dudes this year but none of them are obviously as good as #3 for Cuero.

1) Dixon from Carthage, 2) Paris has two or three dudes that can fly, 3) Atlanta has 2 RB that can fly, one of them runs 10.9...100m, 4) Carter RB Gladewater, 5) Jimmerson, Griffin & Burns from Pitt (Jimmerson & Griffin run 11.0-11.2...100m),....... 6) Bran Webb RB Gilmer

Jimmerson is especially tough to defend because he runs the ball out of pass formations. Our defense has played against some big time playmakers this year.

• Like 3

I’m going with PG, in a close one.  For those folks that sneer at the Slot T, PG shows you what you can do with it if you can (and do) pass the ball.  And man, those kids know how to block.  I agree with most, this should be one of the premier games.

Good Luck to both.

• Like 2

We have the Gobblers and the Hawks. This will be a close game and 1 thing for sure Feathers will be flying around.

Gobblers will stack the Line against PG and this could cause a BIG Problem.

PG will have to pass to win this one.

No runaways for either team. FIELD GOAL wins it for PG.

Good Luck to both and NO INJURIES to any players.

15 minutes ago, RAM said:

We have the Gobblers and the Hawks. This will be a close game and 1 thing for sure Feathers will be flying around.

Gobblers will stack the Line against PG and this could cause a BIG Problem.

PG will have to pass to win this one.

No runaways for either team. FIELD GOAL wins it for PG.

Good Luck to both and NO INJURIES to any players.

If the gobblers stack the line, it will be a big problem because the Hawks can throw! Wing-T Slot-T whatever you want to call it, may be a run-first offense but not a run only offense. That's the mistake many teams have made.  It should be called the Hawk-T because you've never seen anything like it before. You may think you have, but that is where the trickery and strategery get ya.

30 TDs and almost 2000 passing yards.

26 TDS and 3000 rushing yards between two RBs.

So, Cuero is going to have to stack the line, get pressure, and blanket cover at the same time...good luck.

• Like 1

This should be a good game.  I have no idea who will win this game.  I think Cuero is one of those teams that "can" cause some problems defensively for PG.  I think Cuero's offense is similar to Gilmer's offense when it was running like a fine-tuned machine a few years ago.  The difference could be Cuero's defense.  I'm not sure how good their defense is.  I'm pretty sure both teams will score some points.  It'll come down to special teams, turnovers, and key stops defensively.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning toward Cuero by a little at this point.  I could be wrong, but PG better bring it in this one.