Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

🏆 Cuero (14-1) vs. Pleasant Grove (13-2), Class 4A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP


P G or Cuero   

101 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Wins the 4A Div II State Finals?

    • Cuero Gobblers
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2018 at 05:00 PM

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

So LaVega did not beat Argyle  33-31 at NRG 2015? You must have early stage of Alzheimer’s.....😎😎😎😎

That was a wild game, LV side was beyond loud. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been watching y’all all week trash Cuero. Y’all had no idea what y’all had coming! Go Mean Green!!!! 

Whittington is an absolute stud. Glad he is gonna be a Longhorn.

I stand by what I said.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

So LaVega did not beat Argyle  33-31 at NRG 2015? You must have early stage of Alzheimer’s.....😎😎😎😎

Heck No......didn't you see that game???  We didn't get beat by LV......we handed it to them!!!  :headbang:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Heck No......didn't you see that game???  We didn't get beat by LV......we handed it to them!!!  :headbang:

As I remember when LV was driving for the winning TD that Argyle was called for 12 men on the field giving LV a first down. Coach Rodgers called a time out and they huddled up and got another 12 men on the field penalty. Next play LV scored.  Never seen that called consecutively with a timeout before ever. 🤐

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jedi94 said:

Yes and next time  wos will be on the other end. He must have had a bad game against silsbee because silsbee defense wasn't that much better than pg

Or maybe Silsbee had a way better defense than most people in this state wanted to give credit for, but whatever.  

Whittington's offensive skillset destroyed PGs defense.

Whittington's defensive skills hurt Silsbee on Special teams.  Difference in a win and loss for Silsbee.

Tough game to lose but were not making excuses.  Thats why players like Whittington are called "Playmakers".

Good Season PG and Congrats to the Gobblers.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. Well, Let’s just say that Cuero had one of the best athletes I have ever seen in high school! 

Credit to the whole Cuero team but my gosh Jordan is such a special talent. I am more than proud of my Hawks! They certainly surprised a lot of people this year. 

Whats amazing to me is that PG knew that Whittington was going to just take the snap and go. There was nothing PG could do to stop it!

A really big congrats to Cuero! 

Yall really showed that y’all were the best team in 4A D2! 

As for the Hawks...... I am already excited for next year. I Love these boys and it has certainly been awesome watching them from PGYFA to high school!!

GO HAWKS!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 10:57 AM, Nonothing said:

lmost 2000 passing yards.

26 TDS and 3000 rushing yards between two RBs.

 So, Cuero is going to have to stack the line, get pressure, and blanket cover at the same time...good luck.

?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

OK. Well, Let’s just say that Cuero had one of the best athletes I have ever seen in high school! 

Credit to the whole Cuero team but my gosh Jordan is such a special talent. I am more than proud of my Hawks! They certainly surprised a lot of people this year. 

Whats amazing to me is that PG knew that Whittington was going to just take the snap and go. There was nothing PG could do to stop it!

A really big congrats to Cuero! 

Yall really showed that y’all were the best team in 4A D2! 

As for the Hawks...... I am already excited for next year. I Love these boys and it has certainly been awesome watching them from PGYFA to high school!!

GO HAWKS!!

Classy statements Hawknation. With your head coach they will continue to be a powerhouse.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dean1345 said:

Argyle was called for 12 men on the field giving LV a first down. Coach Rodgers called a time out and they huddled up and got another 12 men on the field penalty. Next play LV scored.  Never seen that called consecutively with a timeout before ever. 🤐

I dont remember who it was but a few years ago some team in ET (maybe Nac?) got back to back to back delay of game penalties lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 1utexfan said:

Whittington is the real deal and I am glad he's gonna be playing for my Linghorns but I think the refs had a big influence on this game. Cuero's lineman held on almost every play. PG will be a heavy favorite to win it all next year. Great season for both teams!

Most ridiculous statement on the board....Cmon man

Cuero lineman held on almost every play

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

If I heard the tv guys right PG had only won five games in the three seasons before he got there. 

Gibson deserves tons of credit but he will be the first to say that he had a really special group of kids in the 7th and 8th grade when he got here. They needed Gibson to bring them to their best but he saw how they dominated in Middle school and knew that PG had a really great chance at a title. What we didn’t know is that he could get them there 2 times in a row. I think the job he did this year trumps last year. JMO

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that surprised me most was the way Cuero's o-line dominated. Whittington is incredible, but he also had some incredible blocking. Cuero was the first team this year to control clock and dominate Hawks in the second half. PG fans have to be excited with another special season, and with most of the kids coming back, including Bruce Garrett and Ben Harmon and about 15 other starters, I look for the Hawks to be back in the finals again. Cuero's defensive line was equally dominating in the second half. Garrett had 191 yards in the first half, but only 17 in the final two quarters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been at the games the last two days. You’re drunk if you don’t think Cuero was the better team TODAY. #3 had some exceptional runs and most of those he wasn’t touched until he was 10-15 yards downfield and some wasn’t even touched. It wasn’t holding on the plays but out schemed by the Cuero offensive coaches. They were running the ball where PG didn’t have run force. And by the way #3 is a dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, randomuser said:

Been at the games the last two days. You’re drunk if you don’t think Cuero was the better team TODAY. #3 had some exceptional runs and most of those he wasn’t touched until he was 10-15 yards downfield and some wasn’t even touched. It wasn’t holding on the plays but out schemed by the Cuero offensive coaches. They were running the ball where PG didn’t have run force. And by the way #3 is a dude.

When you're right, you're right. PG coach pretty much said the same thing after the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hawkguy888 said:

?

Yeah...i don't know what I'm typing half the time. Part fictional jest and part autocorrect. Zimbabwe!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to AT&T Stadium yesterday & watched history made. I watched a phenomenal performance by Jordan Whittington of the Cuero Gobblers... This kid was a ONE MAN Touchdown Machine! 

I will go ahead right now & say that he is the kind of player who has the Potential to one day soon to win the Heisman Trophy if he stays healthy! 👏🏈🏆

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I went to AT&T Stadium yesterday & watched history made. I watched a phenomenal performance by Jordan Whittington of the Cuero Gobblers... This kid was a ONE MAN Touchdown Machine! 

I will go ahead right now & say that he is the kind of player who has the Potential to one day soon to win the Heisman Trophy if he stays healthy! 👏🏈🏆

I hope that happens for the young man's sake, and UT's.  Then it can also be said "it took a Heisman trophy winner to beat Pleasant Grove '18". :>)

That being said, back to Cuero's line for a moment.:

According to Maxpreps, the Cuero qb (who as expected was a good passer) had a grand total of -2 (again, negative two) career rushing yards coming into the game.  He was sacked, what, once, and even then not really as he completed a pass for 20 yards?  After reading how senior heavy CHS was, and how 3 of their linemen made all-state (two first-team, I believe) and how their linemen took pride in doing linemen competitions in Texas, I was worried this was going to be a long afternoon.  Again, I was pleasantly (no pun intended) shocked when PG led, however small, continuously all the way into the beginning of the fourth quarter.  Tremendous coaching, and still, tremendous talent.

(BTW, a few here on this thread have talked about the Shreveport television market.  I'm guessing (and correct me if I'm wrong) this may be one of the few times in recent years that counties from the "Loyal seven" (the Texas counties that have remained in the Shreveport/(Texarkana) TV market: Bowie, Cass, Harrison, Marion, Morris, Panola and Shelby) haven't had a state champion.  Given that the city of Longview has a section in Harrison County (albeit solely in the Hallsville ISD) I was wondering if LHS pulls out a win vs. Beaumont WB if that might sorta/kinda negate that, but seeing this article from earlier in the year makes me wonder how long Harrison County will stay in the SHV market.  Probably awhile, since they're right next door to Shreveport, but...: https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/fcc-grants-harrison-county-petitions-for-tv-market-expansion/article_9c9bba58-691b-11e8-918a-1731f16518ad.html  )

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

OK. Well, Let’s just say that Cuero had one of the best athletes I have ever seen in high school! 

Credit to the whole Cuero team but my gosh Jordan is such a special talent. I am more than proud of my Hawks! They certainly surprised a lot of people this year. 

Whats amazing to me is that PG knew that Whittington was going to just take the snap and go. There was nothing PG could do to stop it!

A really big congrats to Cuero! 

Yall really showed that y’all were the best team in 4A D2! 

As for the Hawks...... I am already excited for next year. I Love these boys and it has certainly been awesome watching them from PGYFA to high school!!

GO HAWKS!!

Very nice post........and I know every team has injuries, bumps and bruises, etc......but I would have liked to see these 2 teams playing at full strength - not happening, I know....... but would like to see the difference L J would have made on Cuero’s game plan and play calling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I went to AT&T Stadium yesterday & watched history made. I watched a phenomenal performance by Jordan Whittington of the Cuero Gobblers... This kid was a ONE MAN Touchdown Machine! 

I will go ahead right now & say that he is the kind of player who has the Potential to one day soon to win the Heisman Trophy if he stays healthy! 👏🏈🏆

I agree with you and PG plays great defense but Whittington made everyone else look like they were in slow motion. I think he is just as good or better that Keontay Ingraham and that is a huge compliment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

I agree with you and PG plays great defense but Whittington made everyone else look like they were in slow motion. I think he is just as good or better that Keontay Ingraham and that is a huge compliment.

Keaontay Ingram?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

I agree with you and PG plays great defense but Whittington made everyone else look like they were in slow motion. I think he is just as good or better that Keontay Ingraham and that is a huge compliment.

Texas is going to have a very explosive backfield next year with the addition of Whittington & Ingram!🤘😜

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...