The Smoakhouse Forums

🏆 Cuero (14-1) vs. Pleasant Grove (13-2), Class 4A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

P G or Cuero   

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the 4A Div II State Finals?

• Cuero Gobblers
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2018 at 05:00 PM

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been watching y’all all week trash Cuero. Y’all had no idea what y’all had coming! Go Mean Green!!!! 

Whittington is an absolute stud. Glad he is gonna be a Longhorn.

I stand by what I said.

Posted Images

I looked at some Cuero highlights on Maxprepp and they have some good looking athletes with very good speed.  They look a lot like Liberty Eylau.  They will attack PG the way Carthage did by passing down the middle of the field.  On the flip side, they are suspect to all that PG is good at, they can be beaten.  I still do not believe that they have played the caliber of teams nor the number of good teams that PG has played.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Unbiased1 said:

Maybe espn Texarkana. You can google that and there is a little radio at the bottom of the page. They will probably broadcast. The two guys are definitely homers as expected, but they do a very good job at calling the game.

I think it be on tv, cable on 38 FssWD, it shows I would be able to pick it up.it shows the advertising of the games.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, blackflag79 said:

This should be a good game.  I have no idea who will win this game.  I think Cuero is one of those teams that "can" cause some problems defensively for PG.  I think Cuero's offense is similar to Gilmer's offense when it was running like a fine-tuned machine a few years ago.  The difference could be Cuero's defense.  I'm not sure how good their defense is.  I'm pretty sure both teams will score some points.  It'll come down to special teams, turnovers, and key stops defensively.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning toward Cuero by a little at this point.  I could be wrong, but PG better bring it in this one.

When has PG not brought it? Twice to y'all, and twice to us(Pitt). I'm a believer in the Hawks! Just making conversion.👌

• Like 1
1 hour ago, futfan said:

While PG does get big plays, it is usually because teams have to load the box to try to stop the run.

Ask Carthage about how good they are at grinding out the clock with the pounding run game.

sorry, I don't agree with the big play assesment if you mean one-dimensional.

Wow! Me and futfan agree.

I keep hearing PG big plays in the passing game and yes they do have a bunch of those.  The thing I see is those big plays occur because of a lack of discipline on the back end of defenses. Yes most play PG to stop the run and the back end tends to try to play cover 1 or man.  This leaves the receivers running alone and wide open because of the lack of discipline on the back end to run with their responsibility.  Dealing with 16 & 17 year old corners and safeties is just not fun...LOL

Watch the game Friday and if the PG receivers are running by themselves then the Cuero back end has zero discipline just like IP had last week.  Cuero will be in a load of trouble if they peek in the backfield and not take care of their responsibility.   

Just my 2 cents.   Should be a fun game.   

16 hours ago, Anxiety said:

When has PG not brought it? Twice to y'all, and twice to us(Pitt). I'm a believer in the Hawks! Just making conversion.👌

You certainly have a valid point.  It seems they always "bring it" when they play big games, and it don't get no bigger than tomorrow's game.  Now I'm leaning toward PG after more thought.  I got to thinking about it.  PG was on the big stage last year and performed extremely well, and most of the players on this year's team were there.  Cuero might start a little on the nervous side on the big stage, and "if" that happens it will fall into what PG does best --- grab the lead and play keep away.  I don't think PG runs away with this one, though.  I think it won't be decided until late in the 4th.

It probably needs to be said that one of the texas 4a all-state teams just came out, and cuero players made all-state in 6 positions between 1st, 2nd, and hm teams.  two of the six mentions went to their RB/DB whose last name is grant.  3 of the players were linemen(!) and young mr. whittington rounded out the list making second team at db.  Pleasant grove had 3 players on the list (2 dbs, plus 1 lineman (landon jackson) who I don't think will play in the sc).  A majority of all-state players on one list does not a state championship team make, but they might.  I'm pulling for pg, but this will be a tough fight at best.  Btw, every stat I see tells me that pg has the best quarterback, possibly by far except for being a junior to chs' starter being a senior who apparently has patiently waited for his turn.  We'll see what difference if any young Mr. harmon makes.

It doesn't seem that any stage is too big for Ben Harmon.  He was the starter for last year's state champs, and performed above and beyond expectation.  On the other hand, the senior QB for Cuero hasn't been on this stage yet, so I think that nullifies his "experience" advantage.

• Like 1

Cameron and Ryan are going to have to ball out so is Sergio. Tyler is a great ball Hawk but his height is an issue with taller receivers. PG has been burned for biq pass plays. The Hawks are going to have to scheme to get pressure on the Cuero QB. Jimmerson had tons of time to throw the ball so did Gilmer's QB, The Hawks cannot give these kind of Athletes more than a few seconds to get open. I think Cameron will jump one of those bubble screens for a pick six that Cuero likes to throw. We cannot get caught with LBers on WR's or even speedy running  backs very long. I think the Hawks have to pin their wings back and bring it on this QB.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, blackflag79 said:

It doesn't seem that any stage is too big for Ben Harmon.  He was the starter for last year's state champs, and performed above and beyond expectation.  On the other hand, the senior QB for Cuero hasn't been on this stage yet, so I think that nullifies his "experience" advantage.

Good post, I agree. IMO we have a very good secondary and cover well. I don't think Cuero QB has played against a secondary as good as ours. I think he's going to throw some pics.

4 hours ago, OTamandua said:

It probably needs to be said that one of the texas 4a all-state teams just came out, and cuero players made all-state in 6 positions between 1st, 2nd, and hm teams.  two of the six mentions went to their RB/DB whose last name is grant.  3 of the players were linemen(!) and young mr. whittington rounded out the list making second team at db.  Pleasant grove had 3 players on the list (2 dbs, plus 1 lineman (landon jackson) who I don't think will play in the sc).  A majority of all-state players on one list does not a state championship team make, but they might.  I'm pulling for pg, but this will be a tough fight at best.  Btw, every stat I see tells me that pg has the best quarterback, possibly by far except for being a junior to chs' starter being a senior who apparently has patiently waited for his turn.  We'll see what difference if any young Mr. harmon makes.

Ignore the all-state team. Pleasant Grove's two best players Ben Harmon and Bruce Garrett didn't even get honorable mention.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

Cameron and Ryan are going to have to ball out so is Sergio. Tyler is a great ball Hawk but his height is an issue with taller receivers. PG has been burned for biq pass plays. The Hawks are going to have to scheme to get pressure on the Cuero QB. Jimmerson had tons of time to throw the ball so did Gilmer's QB, The Hawks cannot give these kind of Athletes more than a few seconds to get open. I think Cameron will jump one of those bubble screens for a pick six that Cuero likes to throw. We cannot get caught with LBers on WR's or even speedy running  backs very long. I think the Hawks have to pin their wings back and bring it on this QB.

Don't think the Cuero qb has much mobility. Now when they put Whittington into the Wildcat it could get real scary.

2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

Yup. +1 

All-State doesn't mean much...

Ben Harmon don't get shook.

Haven't posted in years, but I do read y'alls discussions off and on every year.  I especially enjoyed the WOS discussions last year.  

But the West Texas argument needs to stop as you're killing me, Smalls.   Eastland considers themselves  the "Gateway to West Texas," as I believe I've seen a sign.

I've lived in Texarkana since 1973, and before that as a little kid lived in Del Rio and was born in Coleman.  I've got family all over the state.

Never say 'western Texas' or 'eastern Texas' or someone will immediately know that you're not from Texas.  

Cuero is in South Texas.  NE of them is Yoakum, which is the region's limit.  

The fact that Texarkana is in NE Texas does not exclude it from being 'East Texas.'   A rule of thumb has always been that East Texas begins when you encounter pine trees.

(excluding the Lost Pines of Bastrop, of course.)  

ALSO, I agree with the poster who mentions the Shreveport news inundation.  A family member in Austin always tells me that East Texas might as well be part of Louisiana; funny, however I do like Louisiana because they don't whine about Texas' doings like Arkansas.  Louisiana has bad roads, but plays good high school football.  The 'big three' TV stations are 3, 6, and 12,  KTBS, KTAL and KSLA, respectively.   

map-of-west-texas.jpg

• Haha 1

Holy smokes I was just messing with the newbies and this stopped several pages ago. lol:) Troll Powers +10 I win!!!

1 hour ago, Nonothing said:

Holy smokes I was just messing with the newbies and this stopped several pages ago. lol:) Troll Powers +10 I win!!!

Dang, Nonothing, if I'd known you were joking I'd have told the truth.  Everything west of Mt Pleasant is West Texas even Sulphur Springs and Brownsville.  Pshhhh...

• Like 1