🏆 La Vega (13-2) vs. Liberty Hill (13-1), Class 4A (D-I) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

fromabuick8

LV vs. LH  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the 4A Div I State Finals?

• La Vega Pirates
    • Liberty Hill Panthers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/21/2018 at 09:00 PM

9 hours ago, Anxiety said:

The LaVega special teams will have a big game, returning two punts for TD's.

I don't see them trying to even field a punt unless they get a comfortable lead. They may not even do it even then, in the event of a fake punt by the LH,  if they get too far behind.  They seem to muck up the receiving like that did in the SC game in 2015. They seem to be looking downfield before they have secured the catch. It's surprising that the dude who does most of the punt returns, with the speed he has and the hands to snag balls out of the air of opposing pass receivers, can't square himself up with a punt. Maybe the opposing team tries to punt away from him, but anyway, they let a lot of balls hit the ground and roll, even if the returner is in the vicinity.  I don't know what the deal is but I don't think they work as hard on special teams, except maybe for kickoff/punt returns  of the opposing team. They usually cover that pretty well. This is a game where they need to make all the PATs, although which they typically miss quite a few during the game.

You'll probably  see LH going for a lot of 4th downs if they cross the 50, so that would negate a punt attempt anyway, unless they're in an insurmountable down and distance on 4th down. Then they might try to pin LV inside the 10 with a punt.

8 hours ago, FB59 said:

I don't see them trying to even field a punt unless they get a comfortable lead. They may not even do it even then, in the event of a fake punt by the LH,  if they get too far behind.  They seem to muck up the receiving like that did in the SC game in 2015. They seem to be looking downfield before they have secured the catch. It's surprising that the dude who does most of the punt returns, with the speed he has and the hands to snag balls out of the air of opposing pass receivers, can't square himself up with a punt. Maybe the opposing team tries to punt away from him, but anyway, they let a lot of balls hit the ground and roll, even if the returner is in the vicinity.  I don't know what the deal is but I don't think they work as hard on special teams, except maybe for kickoff/punt returns  of the opposing team. They usually cover that pretty well. This is a game where they need to make all the PATs, although which they typically miss quite a few during the game.

You'll probably  see LH going for a lot of 4th downs if they cross the 50, so that would negate a punt attempt anyway, unless they're in an insurmountable down and distance on 4th down. Then they might try to pin LV inside the 10 with a punt.

Fox sports southwest may be calling you soon :)   Seriously we will know come friday for sure.I picked LV but will be rooting for LH since they never won a state crown before.#17 for LV is a concern for sure .Take care and keep up the good work.

5 minutes ago, Rob123 said:

Fox sports southwest may be calling you soon :)   Seriously we will know come friday for sure.I picked LV but will be rooting for LH since they never won a state crown before.#17 for LV is a concern for sure .Take care and keep up the good work.

I was wrong they have won 2 state championships in lower division if that counts.

Edited by Rob123
wrong ino

1 hour ago, coachkells said:

Over/Under

LH 300 yards rushing

LV 300 yards Rushing

58.5 total points

total passes: 10

John Richards TD  2.5 

Kyle Harrison TD 2.5

And your point is?🙄  Why not come over the the downlow and cuss and discuss.  

23 hours ago, Anxiety said:

Oh it counts alright! 06 vs. Celina was a hell of a game! 07 vs. Gilmer, not so much.

Hard to remember with so many years having past, but I seem to recall in '07 that Liberty Hill wasn't given much chance by most against Gilmer, very similar to this game.  I think Gilmer had been on a roll for a number of years and didn't realize what LH was bringing into the game.  LH was coming off of a state championship, but still a relative unknown, really just getting established as a yearly contender that was planning to stick around.  I watched LH in a number of regular season games and through the playoffs that year and tried to explain to the Gilmer faithful what they were about to witness, but they were convinced Gilmer had it in the bag.  LH was very impressive in a quite easy 30 something to 10 or 12 win.  

Now LV isn't going to be surprised like Gilmer was as they've played LH enough to know what the slot-t is all about and they know LH is a serious contender.  Even with that, it does seem LH may be getting sold a bit short by some of the LV backers.  If I had to make a wager, I'd put my money on LV, but I'd be extremely nervous because if that slot-t get in a groove, it quickly turns into the proverbial snowball headed downhill.  

Gonna' be a good one!

25 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Hard to remember with so many years having past, but I seem to recall in '07 that Liberty Hill wasn't given much chance by most against Gilmer, very similar to this game.  I think Gilmer had been on a roll for a number of years and didn't realize what LH was bringing into the game.  LH was coming off of a state championship, but still a relative unknown, really just getting established as a yearly contender that was planning to stick around.  I watched LH in a number of regular season games and through the playoffs that year and tried to explain to the Gilmer faithful what they were about to witness, but they were convinced Gilmer had it in the bag.  LH was very impressive in a quite easy 30 something to 10 or 12 win.  

Now LV isn't going to be surprised like Gilmer was as they've played LH enough to know what the slot-t is all about and they know LH is a serious contender.  Even with that, it does seem LH may be getting sold a bit short by some of the LV backers.  If I had to make a wager, I'd put my money on LV, but I'd be extremely nervous because if that slot-t get in a groove, it quickly turns into the proverbial snowball headed downhill.  

Gonna' be a good one!

You have a good point there for sure. They steam rolled Carthage defensive lineman and from all the talk before the game they was the best in the state.Of course that game is over and done with so no need to dwell there. Like you said the advantage LV has is they have played LH before and i'm sure the LV coaches will be preparing the players . They still have to butt heads so it's going to be interesting !  Looking forward to it myself.

21 hours ago, Rob123 said:

I'm sure it was beating Celina !  Very well known back in the day for winning state crowns .

This is off topic, but what happened with Celina?  I know they've remained good, better than average, but they've had a number of 3-4 loss seasons and now 5 this year.

1 hour ago, Everide2016 said:

Gonna' be a good one!

One thing's for sure, both teams know how to put points on the board.

49 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

This is off topic, but what happened with Celina?  I know they've remained good, better than average, but they've had a number of 3-4 loss seasons and now 5 this year.

Legitimate question. Start a thread and see what happens.

10 hours ago, coachkells said:

Over/Under

LH 300 yards rushing

LV 300 yards Rushing

58.5 total points

total passes: 10

John Richards TD  2.5 

Kyle Harrison TD 2.5

I think LH won't be able to contain LV running attack and plus LV can pass well and can make few stops on LH, so I'm leaning towards,Vega to pull this one, La Vega wins state.

3 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

68 game winning streak by celina from 1998 to 2002. They have moved up to to 2 classifications which obviously makes it tougher

imo as for as competition goes.

My 2 cents don’t count BUT, LH will hang in there Friday and could win.   LH played and took a SOLID top 5 5A school, Hutto to overtime and Hutto has plenty of athletes.   The score was 52-51 I think.  That tells me that LH will score Friday.  Will not shock me if LH wins.   I think most are with LaVega because of the Argyle game.   

No dog in the fight but will be there to watch a good one.