Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums
powerlifter

State Championship Games at Jerryworld

Recommended Posts

On 12/21/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jedi94 said:

If it was in Houston every year. East texas and north texas people would be crying it's not fair. I think they should try the rotation and see how it goes, dosen't hurt to try it. Or back to the old way let the teams pick the neutral site 

I have no problem rotating sites.

Granted, my preference is Jerryworld...  not simply due to distance, but because it seems better suited to the event.

But if State was in Houston next year, I would have no problem driving there. Would just have to leave a few extra hours earlier. No biggie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotate every year. 1A, 2A, and 3A in one location. 4A, 5A, and 6A in another location. 2 games Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Maybe a bad idea but the crowds yesterday trying to leave while others trying to get their were just ridiculous. I guess thinking about it the only issue would be how to broadcast 2 live games at the same time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

Rotate every year. 1A, 2A, and 3A in one location. 4A, 5A, and 6A in another location. 2 games Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Maybe a bad idea but the crowds yesterday trying to leave while others trying to get their were just ridiculous. I guess thinking about it the only issue would be how to broadcast 2 live games at the same time. 

Kind of like this idea... only one drawback.   Of you have 2 regional teams you want to support and one is small school and the other big school you can't attend both... easily anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dfwfootballfan said:

Kind of like this idea... only one drawback.   Of you have 2 regional teams you want to support and one is small school and the other big school you can't attend both... easily anyway. 

I only came up with this idea because of all the traffic issues inside and outside of the stadium. There really isn't a good fix for it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority has spoken, 238,000 plus. Something is always going to inconvenient someone no matter what the situation. The KIDS and Coaches love the atmosphere at Jerry World. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 2:02 PM, ANTI said:

Should rotate.

NRG is good enough for pro football but somehow idiots think it isn't good enough for a HS game?

Yea okay.

Bottom line is this: as long as the UIL is making more $$ at AT&T than they do anywhere else, it’s gonna stay there as long as the NFL doesn’t screw it up again. Lest we forget, the only reason it went to NRG that one year was because the NFL scheduled a Saturday night home game for the Cowboys on the same weekend as the State championships. Until that happens again, it stays in DFW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 11:53 PM, Everide2016 said:

Could not care any less about the bands.  Unfortunately have to endure them for 28 minutes every week with some of the most ridiculous performances imaginable.  Whatever happened to good old fashioned military style marching bands instead of all the show bands or whatever they're called.  Can't stand all the leaning side-to-side and having band members trying to even dance.  Silly.

I usually enjoy the bands...but I have to kind of agree about the show band thing. Personal preference...I just dont like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nachos + a bottle of water + a diet pepsi...$22.50...ouch. On the other hand $15 for a ticket good for three games is a great bargain and parking (Why is it $10 if paid with a cc and $15 if paid with cash?) is not really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being that the UIL represents the state, the entire state,  if I were on the Economic Development Committee for Austin, Houston,  or San Antonio I would be petitioning the UIL to spread the wealth. 

I live just east of Dallas and can get to AT&T within an hour to an hour and a half depending on traffic,  so I love the fact that the games are here. 

There is a lot of money spent during championship week shopping,  hotels,  dining,  etc.  It would seem to me that those alternate cities should benefit as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might just be my pet peeve...but people "saving" a bunch of seats for folks that are not even in the stadium. 1 or 2 seats is one thing...5,6,7,8 seats is something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 11:53 PM, Everide2016 said:

Could not care any less about the bands.  Unfortunately have to endure them for 28 minutes every week with some of the most ridiculous performances imaginable.  Whatever happened to good old fashioned military style marching bands instead of all the show bands or whatever they're called.  Can't stand all the leaning side-to-side and having band members trying to even dance.  Silly.

Bands are part of high school football. No one is holding you at gun point and forcing you to watch their performance. Might I suggest you use halftime as an opportunity to use the restroom and visit the concession stand. 

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dfwfootballfan said:

Being that the UIL represents the state, the entire state,  if I were on the Economic Development Committee for Austin, Houston,  or San Antonio I would be petitioning the UIL to spread the wealth. 

I live just east of Dallas and can get to AT&T within an hour to an hour and a half depending on traffic,  so I love the fact that the games are here. 

There is a lot of money spent during championship week shopping,  hotels,  dining,  etc.  It would seem to me that those alternate cities should benefit as well.  

Your premise is flawed. The UIL doesn’t “represent” anyone. Their purpose is to oversee various competitions between public schools in the state of Texas. I don’t believe it is their duty to help any municipality generate revenue. If a given city or facility wishes to host a UIL sanctioned event, they should offer up a proposal. When preparing their proposal, they would be wise to remember that the biggest thing the UIL is concerned with on these events is how much money they can make off of it. You’re not going to get anywhere on moving the event by crying about how unfair it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EnjoyLife said:

I usually enjoy the bands...but I have to kind of agree about the show band thing. Personal preference...I just dont like it.

That is why I liked the Longview band.  They actually marched.  Someone remembered the name - The  XXXXX Marching Band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Your premise is flawed. The UIL doesn’t “represent” anyone. Their purpose is to oversee various competitions between public schools in the state of Texas. I don’t believe it is their duty to help any municipality generate revenue. If a given city or facility wishes to host a UIL sanctioned event, they should offer up a proposal. When preparing their proposal, they would be wise to remember that the biggest thing the UIL is concerned with on these events is how much money they can make off of it. You’re not going to get anywhere on moving the event by crying about how unfair it is. 

You are correct,  crying about fairness would not get them to rotate locations.  An EDC would put together a proposal that would show a ROI to the involved party (UIL). I was not insinuating that someone just go cry to the UIL.  I am sure if presented with an opportunity to make near the same amount of money they would likely consider economic impact to the various regions.  This is isn't a private funded league with a site selection committee that looks at nothing but the almighty dollar, they are funded by the participating communities that compete and attend their own events. 

Like I said they can leave it at AT&T as far as I'm concerned. Close to me and im sure my community benefits in business and sales tax revenue from those traveling through here to the games. 

Simply stating that there is a lot of money to be had and if Houston weren't already reaping benefits of a strong oil economy they might want a piece of the pie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grainraiser said:

I really don't how you can improve the experience more than it already is. A great change was playing 3 games on Saturday instead of 4. You now don't have games ending at 1:00AM. I always laugh at the folks who think they are going to reserve seats for school fans at the championship games. Most of those 50k folks in Jerryworld are casual fans. The hardcore fans show up at the start of the first game and jockey themselves to a great seat. Every year I see near fist fights because folk try to reserve 10+ seats for family and friends. These folks think it's okay to show up 5 minutes to kickoff and get a seat at the 50 yard line. One lady at the Duncanville game tried to reserve 2 entire rows and cussed out the security guard when he told her she could not this. She seem to lack understanding on what general admission means. One lady ask me to move down to the next row because she was trying to reserve 8 seats. I just gave her the biggest go to hell look you can imagine.

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be able to access a bathroom while you wait for the gate to open. Not much of a issue for me but my 78 yr old dad needs to go when he needs to go.

Saving a large/small number seats is also a issue.  It's general admission!!!  I left way too early and spent my money just like you did so I could sit in a seat I was satisfied with for as many of three games as I want to watch. How bout I come in and sit down and you move somewhere else. Sorry that's a touchy subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dfwfootballfan said:

You are correct,  crying about fairness would not get them to rotate locations.  An EDC would put together a proposal that would show a ROI to the involved party (UIL). I was not insinuating that someone just go cry to the UIL.  I am sure if presented with an opportunity to make near the same amount of money they would likely consider economic impact to the various regions.  This is isn't a private funded league with a site selection committee that looks at nothing but the almighty dollar, they are funded by the participating communities that compete and attend their own events. 

Like I said they can leave it at AT&T as far as I'm concerned. Close to me and im sure my community benefits in business and sales tax revenue from those traveling through here to the games. 

Simply stating that there is a lot of money to be had and if Houston weren't already reaping benefits of a strong oil economy they might want a piece of the pie.

Houston already had their shot at it, and laid a massive egg. Austin doesn’t have a facility suitable for such an event. I understand San Antonio is renovating the Alamodome. Maybe they will get a shot at it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluesky said:

No, I like the music as is.  Make halftime 15 minutes.

Ummm, A: This is high school football. Halftime band performances are as much a part of it as standing for "The Star-Spangled Banner". And yes, the band has travelled with the team the whole season and done their part, they deserve to be there and perform on that field too.

B: I can't imagine anyone who's been more than just a fan not understanding that the boys and coaches need longer than fifteen minutes to regenerate and implement scheme adjuatments for the second half.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

Why

Agree, why punish me when I elect to watch every game on a given day sitting in the same seat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 11:53 PM, Everide2016 said:

Could not care any less about the bands.  Unfortunately have to endure them for 28 minutes every week with some of the most ridiculous performances imaginable.  Whatever happened to good old fashioned military style marching bands instead of all the show bands or whatever they're called.  Can't stand all the leaning side-to-side and having band members trying to even dance.  Silly.

I do prefer military bands but nevertheless these kids work long hard hours all year like the football teams do. They deserve their time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 12:22 PM, Everide2016 said:

Get rid of the bands and make halftime 15 minutes.  Nobody goes to a band competition to expecting to see a football demo in the middle.  Most hardcore football fans don't want to see a band performing for 30 minutes in the middle of what they actually came to see.  Bands should perform at band competitions and just keep them off the field at games.  Especially irritating is when they exceed their time allocation.  

Bands, drill teams etc have always been a part of high school football. They work hard and deserve the time they get

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, player73 said:

The majority has spoken, 238,000 plus. Something is always going to inconvenient someone no matter what the situation. The KIDS and Coaches love the atmosphere at Jerry World. 

Again not true I know plenty of coaches and kids that would to see a rotation. It was nothing wrong with the teams picking their on neutral site back in the day. All I'm saying is  let's give it a shot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Houston already had their shot at it, and laid a massive egg. Austin doesn’t have a facility suitable for such an event. I understand San Antonio is renovating the Alamodome. Maybe they will get a shot at it. 

I remember reading something on the Alamodome/UILState thing awhile back. I think they might get their shot in 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×