State Championship Games at Jerryworld

powerlifter

19 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

I don't like that lower classification games have to be played on Wed/Thu/early Fri, and those teams have to miss class/get a shorter week to prep FOR A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game, and less of their fans get to go support their teams and enjoy the experience because they can't afford to miss work. Not fair at all.

I agree that the Wednesday games are not good.  I prefer that they put the 6-man (1A) games back to Abilene or other appropriate location the weekend before all the other games as was done the first year or two all of the games were at ATT.  Then, play four games on Thursday, three on Friday and Saturday for all the 12 man classifications. To me that was the best setup.

34 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

I agree that the Wednesday games are not good.  I prefer that they put the 6-man (1A) games back to Abilene or other appropriate location the weekend before all the other games as was done the first year or two all of the games were at ATT.  Then, play four games on Thursday, three on Friday and Saturday for all the 12 man classifications. To me that was the best setup.

It’s not a big deal for the two 6-man games on Wednesday, because they play their semifinals a week before 11-man divisions do. So they’re getting 10 days of prep. The ones getting hosed are the two 2A teams playing on Wednesday night. If you’re in that division, you want to play your semifinal on Thursday at all cost. 

19 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

It’s not a big deal for the two 6-man games on Wednesday, because they play their semifinals a week before 11-man divisions do. So they’re getting 10 days of prep. The ones getting hosed are the two 2A teams playing on Wednesday night. If you’re in that division, you want to play your semifinal on Thursday at all cost. 

Yeah, I attended that game last year and it was really weird to be there on a Wednesday night and there's no doubt it impacted the fan base significantly.  UIL needs to use some common sense on this one.

14 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Yeah, I attended that game last year and it was really weird to be there on a Wednesday night and there's no doubt it impacted the fan base significantly.  UIL needs to use some common sense on this one.

If the UIL is going to force the small schools to play on Wednesday or Thursday, they should at least televise ALL of those games so parents and fans that can't make the trip mid-week because of work, etc. can see those games ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

If the UIL is going to force the small schools to play on Wednesday or Thursday, they should at least televise ALL of those games so parents and fans that can't make the trip mid-week because of work, etc. can see those games ...

Those games are televised. 

If you guys remember the UIL put the smaller schools at a different venue for a year and the smaller schools did not care for it...yes it was Mansfield and not The Star but these are important points

1) the games weren't on TV

2) the gate was smaller

3) the games didn't have as special a "feel"

The small schools want to be on the big stage, its about the kids right?? Where do ya'll think the kids would prefer to play??

After this all went down in 2010 (I think) UIL polled sup's and AD's and the consensus was pretty overwhelming that they'd be ok with Thur state title games if they were going to play at the same site as the big schools....and six man is even more vocal about equal treatment they don't want to play somewhere different...and I understand...

The Wesnesday night thing is rough no doubt...but 4 games in one day and having another Waskom-Franklin debacle is best to be avoided....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

If you guys remember the UIL put the smaller schools at a different venue for a year and the smaller schools did not care for it...yes it was Mansfield and not The Star but these are important points

1) the games weren't on TV

2) the gate was smaller

3) the games didn't have as special a "feel"

The small schools want to be on the big stage, its about the kids right?? Where do ya'll think the kids would prefer to play??

After this all went down in 2010 (I think) UIL polled sup's and AD's and the consensus was pretty overwhelming that they'd be ok with Thur state title games if they were going to play at the same site as the big schools....and six man is even more vocal about equal treatment they don't want to play somewhere different...and I understand...

The Wesnesday night thing is rough no doubt...but 4 games in one day and having another Waskom-Franklin debacle is best to be avoided....

Had to read no further than, “it’s about the kids”.  That’s enough.  Those small school kids don’t get to pick where they live.  Many of their games are probably played on less than ideal playing fields.  They deserve to play where everyone one else does.  Odds are they’ll appreciate the experience more than many of the bigger schools.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagar said:

Had to read no further than, “it’s about the kids”.  That’s enough.  Those small school kids don’t get to pick where they live.  Many of their games are probably played on less than ideal playing fields.  They deserve to play where everyone one else does.  Odds are they’ll appreciate the experience more than many of the bigger schools.

Its pretty awesome for the kids and the communities...when you see cheerleaders and drill teams and bands taking pics at the star at midfield....memories for a lifetime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2018 at 9:27 AM, JR88 said:

I agree that I wish coaches could decide where to play....

However.... since Jerry World opened, we have to admit that most state games involving a school in north Texas would select AT&T anyway. 

Texas Stadium had many state championships and it was a dump. 

In it's prime, "OLD" Texas Stadium was the Meca of football. And when I played there, it was LOUD.

AT&T is by far the best experience possible, NRG is not even close in amenities and atmosphere or hospitality.

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

Couldn't disagree more.  None of them "deserve" to play at any particular location and/or be on TV.  It's a wonderful thing that 6-man is even on the Fox App, but like it or not, there just aren't that many people going to tune in to it, if there were, they would be on TV.  

5 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Then you just kicked them off of TV. That’s the reason for doing it the way it’s being done. FSSW isn’t going to split things up. 

Negative on being kicked off TV they can televise both

We the 3A D1 game are being kicked off Fox Sports Southwest for Hockey on Thursday night to Fox Sports Southwest Plus Channel which I don't even know if I have 

The other two games that day are on Fox Sports Southwest 

I would have thought the main problem with Mansfield was outdoors. After having played at the STAR with the big STAR I can tell u its a first class venue

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

The money made from football goes to fund all of the other UIL sponsored activities that do not make money.

Dude, this is the dumbest argument in the world. Quit while you are ahead. 

where do I find this  pal I was just asking don't get bent out of shape can you dig it

• Mr. P changed the title to State Championship Games at Jerryworld