2018 Airing of Grievances

Mavchamp

20 hours ago, LoboLoco said:

People who save a whole row of seats for family/friends who have not even arrived at the game. REALLY,  it's general admission.

Lol. Saw a Lobo lady save 3 seats in the lower section of AT&T in the title game for 3 friends who apparently did not want to sit with her. Enjoyed the elbow room.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:21 AM, Hardrockers said:

Don't put 11 offensive players in the box and they won't?/ can't? 

And I've been on one of the "original" 10-1 staffs. For the 10-1 special most are actually running now, there are a few key coaching points some obviously missed on their youtube videos they watched. Lol. 

Common misconception that the Special WAS the original ... probably because we haven't really seen the "original" 10-1 since the dinosaur days.

Few remember that the original was more 6-1 based (and many see it as an off-shoot of the Gap Eight) ... and I always assumed that combining the two A-Gap players into one was an effort to evolve for flexibility to handle the more common use of multiple WR sets and/or ALWAYS have to ability to keep a Safety in the middle of the field.  In the 5-1 front, you are always one combo block (3-to-Mike) from having a "C" Gap play turn into barn burner.  The Safety in the middle is always there to prevent that with virtual overlapping area responsibilities with the Mike on non-option plays.  The death knoll for the alignment appears to be that if you get the Safety and Mike going the wrong way, it has problems - which is one of the reasons why they are taught to work off of the ball carrier's backside hip.

The odd thing out there is the question - did the Special (which I have always attributed to Ford) come from Ryan's Bear or did it pre-date the Bear - or was it a take-off from Arnsparger's/Thompson's Two-Level Theory (published in 1988)?  From what I've encountered, that depends on what you read and who you talk to and where you're from.  While Butch's is hardly a household name outside of his home state, if you met him you would never forget him - he's that kind of person and that kind of coach.

One of the biggest differences that I observe between Arnsparger and the Special is the alignment and assignment of the Free Safety.  Under Arnsparger, the job of the FS (with an alignment of 20-25 yards in depth) is Horizontal and primarily pass, while the Special is more Vert/diagonal (from a depth of 8-10) and primarily run.  And the "original" is not totally buried - every once in a blue moon, I have found Argyle in it (but not as common as their 4-2 change up).

The biggest difference that I have seen in limited study of the Argyle version vs the Celina versions - in situations of 2-backs=2-LBers is the depth of the Backers - Argyle tends to play their LBers a little deeper off the LOS than Celina (maybe because they're dealing with a different type of kid or a different type of athlete they consider relevant to the position).   And across the board as change-ups, I see Celina use more slant front and Argyle with more twists ... but they could be just the video that's out there and available for study.  While I have seen both play over the years a few times, I have hardly studied these two team's technical side in great detail and depth - so consider the source on that observation.

One thing I see from opponent's offenses is this - they see it as "having potential problems with this and this, so I will add this play, this play, and this play to take advantage of it" ... This can often result in a trap, because all of a sudden their kids are running something they are not "natural-ed" at yet and execution suffers.  To me, I would rather run my offense and use sets to take advantage of match-ups in my favor.  In the end, especially with today's Spread, you either create space and attack that created space, or you use your best to take advantage of their not-so-best.

One of my main concerns about it's usage is that I see a few people "dabbling in it" as a change-up to their regular defense.  While it does provide a radical change suddenly, from what techniques that I see that have to be employed ... I'm not sure that it's truly sound to do in that manner ... It may be like the Slot-T - if you're gonna do it well, you're either ALL IN or ALL OUT.  Ain't much middle ground.

37 minutes ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

The band deciding to play when it's 4th and Goal on the 1 when their team is on offense and then they decide its time to be quite when it's 3rd and 1 and on defense. That's what really grinds my gears...

The Robinson band director is clueless too or perhaps he doesn’t care. 

14 hours ago, SlobCat said:

The Robinson band director is clueless too or perhaps he doesn’t care. 

Football Etiquette should be a requirement for band members, parents, and directors. Maybe football fans should go to the marching contest and act like we're there for a football game and start stomping on the bleachers during their performance, and then of course leave when they are halfway finished...

• Like 2
  • LOL! 3

1. Too Much Rain-Game against Pine Tree was ruined by the monsoon!!!

2.People who don't live in town constantly trying to tell those of us who do what happens in town.

3.Not being ready for an onside kick when everyone in the state knew it was coming-WH Game:)

4.Band/Cheerleader parents leaving after half time in a game we are winning to make the playoffs.

5.Lack of atmosphere on game day and support for our boys.

Had a fun year overall!! Ready for next year already!! Basketball looks like it will take some of my attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrenchWarrior09 said:

Football Etiquette should be a requirement for band members, parents, and directors. Maybe football fans should go to the marching contest and act like we're there for a football game and start stomping on the bleachers during their performance, and then of course leave when they are halfway finished...

YES!!!!! Band parents get mad when ppl go to the concession stand and bathroom at half time. I know Nac. band/Parents think everyone is there for them. Our band does not play in the stands and makes noise just to make noise.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 8:07 AM, Nacwagons said:

YES!!!!! Band parents get mad when ppl go to the concession stand and bathroom at half time. I know Nac. band/Parents think everyone is there for them. Our band does not play in the stands and makes noise just to make noise.

Things haven't changed much over the decades.

One place I was coaching at in the Seventies, a group of parents showed up at a board meeting to ask if they could buy a "Special Band Ticket" at the game for less money than a regular admission - because they only planned on being at the game for the "Halftime Show", therefore, they shouldn't have to pay full price ....

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 1:15 PM, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Watergate meetings that lasted for 2-3 mins to get a simple call right (in which some were still wrong) 

Saw more unsportsmanlike/personal foul penalties called this yr way more than usual. (Which didn't tick me off at all) 

Rude folks behind the counter at concessions.

And lastly: too many damn ppl walking up and down the stands instead of watching the game. 

That!!!!

And lastly: too many damn ppl walking up and down the stands instead of watching the game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newtonres7586 said:

That!!!!

And lastly: too many damn ppl walking up and down the stands instead of watching the game. 

having a student section that isnt engaged in the game gets you this and throwing #### down the bleachers as well.

On 12/24/2018 at 3:00 PM, Mavchamp said:

I think I got shorted on my cheese with my Nachos in Lindale. 

And whoever decided that a sno come stand was a good idea for home games deserves a Nobel Peace Prize. 

Except the games that are in the 40’s....

5 hours ago, DOB said:

One place I was coaching at in the Seventies, a group of parents showed up at a board meeting to ask if they could by a "Special Band Ticket" at the game for less money than a regular admission - because they only planned on being at the game for the "Halftime Show", therefore, they shouldn't have to pay full price ....

how in the world do you guarantee they leave at half time after spending half the money!! Thats Lame!!!

If you are gonna serve coffee at the concession stand.......  sigh.......  use a Bunn branded 40 cup coffee pot instead of a Keurig... or however u spell it.  When it’s cold you can get $3.00 for a LARGE cup of coffee and get it to them faster that ten minutes.  Many times they would reply: “we just didn’t know this many people would wand coffee....”.  

8 hours ago, DOB said:

One place I was coaching at in the Seventies, a group of parents showed up at a board meeting to ask if they could by a "Special Band Ticket" at the game for less money than a regular admission - because they only planned on being at the game for the "Halftime Show", therefore, they shouldn't have to pay full price ....

What tha?! Ain't but $5 to get in now

• Like 1