🐺 LONGVIEW LOBOS: CLASS 6A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONS! 🏆 UNDEFEATED: 16-0!

LoboFan07

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Eric Hawkins had the record at 994 (I think). Kamden doubled that pretty much lol

We may not ever see anyone break Kamden's record but I bet Kearby gets a high number next year if he stays healthy.

I believe Malcolm had the record before Hawkins

20 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Carey Fortson.

Fortson was 7 yards short of Kelly in 2009. Kelly had 826 in 2003. I haven't gotten very far into the receiving yards records previous of the last couple years, but Kelly probably had the record in 2003. up until Hawkins in 2011. Forton finished with 600 in 2008 and 819 in 2009. 

There's maybe one or two players that had more than 826 prior to Kelly, but I highly doubt it to be honest. That'll be this summer's project.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Fortson was 7 yards short of Kelly in 2009. Kelly had 826 in 2003. I haven't gotten very far into the receiving yards records previous of the last couple years, but Kelly probably had the record in 2003. up until Hawkins in 2011. Forton finished with 600 in 2008 and 819 in 2009. 

There's maybe one or two players that had more than 826 prior to Kelly, but I highly doubt it to be honest. That'll be this summer's project.

Kelly had a d1 qb in HS, he probably would had 2k yards dang shame he got hurt late in college and effected his short nfl run dude best hands I've seen 

Carlin was a good QB and more importantly, he knew how to win football games. But we’ve just never been a QB factory. Running back sure. And we had two fantastic beasts that year, even with Ivory’s horrible game against Lufkin.

Dunno how King would’ve reacted to acting throwing the ball more than 10 times a game if we had a little better throwing QB those years but ah well. 

So thankful this group was able to seal the deal after so many missed chances and so many what ifs. 

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Ivory’s horrible game against Lufkin.

In all fairness, they were keying on him and they were hitting hard. He also had a hurt hand. Gotta give Lufkin credit, though. They gameplanned around getting a hat on him and they did. He's currently in the NFL and Vondrell could've been had he kept his head on straight and maybe gone to another school to be the feature back. 

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Carlin was a good QB and more importantly, he knew how to win football games. But we’ve just never been a QB factory. Running back sure.

Other than winning State and re-writing the record book, I hope the most important legacy of Haynes King's career will be influencing the next generation of Lobo QBs.

Haynes was a strong passer even in junior high, and has only improved as he's grown. We have got to follow this pattern going forward. Develop middle school quarterbacks as passers first. Nothing saying they can't be dual-threat (Haynes ain't no statue in the pocket!), but reading, reacting, and mechanics must be the top priorities. If that means getting them to camps or whatever, make it happen

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AKA said:

Other than winning State and re-writing the record book, I hope the most important legacy of Haynes King's career will be influencing the next generation of Lobo QBs.

Haynes was a strong passer even in junior high, and has only improved as he's grown. We have got to follow this pattern going forward. Develop middle school quarterbacks as passers first. Nothing saying they can't be dual-threat (Haynes ain't no statue in the pocket!), but reading, reacting, and mechanics must be the top priorities. If that means getting them to camps or whatever, make it happen.

Dang right we would of lost  state game if wasn't for the passing game, being held under 150 yards rushing..

Just looked. It's weird. A lot of the high schools don't exist any more.

Amarillo High won state in 1940 and haven't won since then. A small note, they won the state championship 3 years in a row leading up to 1937 when Longview won it. Wichita Falls beat them in 1937 and we beat Wichita Falls in the state finals 19-12.

2 hours ago, AKA said:

Haynes was a strong passer even in junior high, and has only improved as he's grown. We have got to follow this pattern going forward. Develop middle school quarterbacks as passers first. Nothing saying they can't be dual-threat (Haynes ain't no statue in the pocket!), but reading, reacting, and mechanics must be the top priorities. If that means getting them to camps or whatever, make it happen

Tbh, I think the trend has been upward since Bivins Caraway. Alot of Lobo passing records have been broken since he came through Longview. Also, OC/QB coach Vallery also came to Longview in 2010 and he hasn't been talked about enough.

But now that Haynes has came through, I do see that trend line going more upward. Check out that QB Tutt from Judson, he's special. Along with the rest of that 7th grade class.

Fast forward to 2021 or 2022 season...you can already tell Longview will be a problem on offense. Tutt will potentially be throwing passes to Hale out of Foster who will be a freshmen this year...who is already a 6'0 athlete.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Tbh, I think the trend has been upward since Bivins Caraway. Alot of Lobo passing records have been broken since he came through Longview...

My bad, you're right. I should've given props to Caraway. He's the "Moses" and young King is the "Joshua." 

Bivins led the passing game out of the wilderness, while Haynes took it to the Promised Land.  :D  

15 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Check out that QB Tutt from Judson, he's special. Along with the rest of that 7th grade class.

Fast forward to 2021 or 2022 season...you can already tell Longview will be a problem on offense. Tutt will potentially be throwing passes to Hale out of Foster who will be a freshmen this year...who is already a 6'0 athlete.

Ah yes, I never got back with you after you told me about him months ago. Did get to watch him a couple times, and I concur: he's a good one. I hope he keeps working and growing. Same with Hale...  if those two develop a rapport in 9th/JV, it could be something special. 

• Like 1

Also we have to consider what offense we ran when discussing great QBs. Joel Armstrong was a wizard running the option but he didn't throw much. Aaron Johnson ran the spread very well, but it was predominantly a running attack. Bivins was around the time that we got Coach Vallery from Kilgore and I think we slowly transitioned to a pro-style offense til the present. 

4 hours ago, WolverBean said:

Another thought who nows owns  the crown now for longest state title drought ,westshook? 

Btw. It is West Brook...  

and you would have to quantify how you are looking at this.

1. A school that has won a state title and how long it has been since they won the second.

2. Or there are schools that have never won a title vs how long they have been playing football. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WolverBean said:

1983 I believe that's still long time 36 years lol but eh sure there is another team with longer but not us! 😎😁

It was 1982... was the first school to win it as a district runner up. First year UIL put that into play. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to 🐺 LONGVIEW LOBOS: CLASS 6A (D-II) STATE CHAMPIONS! 🏆 UNDEFEATED: 16-0!